pmc or dali?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
pmc ob1 and dali helicon 800......heard both and can't decide.....like the power and clarity on both, and they ripped apart the dynaudios i was thinking about. any preferences on here? i'm using a primare cd31, allen and heath xone 92 pre-amp mixer, 2 technics sl1200s (cd and decks routed thru mixer), and still have the rotel RB-981 power-amp, but still debating on changing it

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
With respect to PMC owner, I recently demo the OB1 and yes, I thought they were excellent but very fussy with partnering kits + room positioning. I bought my Amphion instead and very please with them, ok they doesn't have all the resolution the PMC has but they are a real world pair of speakers for everyday life.....

A

Anonymous

Opted for the Dali's.....I hear what people are saying about pmc's holding their value better when it comes to upgrading again, but decided to go for what I think sounds best and put the finance aspect to one side....hope I don't regret it

Need to decide on the best pre/power amp combo to drive these babies. As i said, I was using my home set up comprising the a&h mixer and rotel power amp to test the dali's....and they sounded amazing, although I know I can get the sound much better with a dedicated pre-amp instead of the mixer. I am taking the advice I've had to route the cd around the a&h for better sound quality.

Any suggestions for a pre/power amp set up that will get the best out of the dali's?

A

Anonymous

Cyrus 8 series
or Primare 30/31
or Musical Fidelity 3.5 series
Or a Naim

A

Anonymous

Since you already have CD31, obvious choices would be PRE30 and A30.2

A

Anonymous

Thanks ranj....I have been researching that exact idea for the past few days ;)
Have been looking at the A32 - it is a beast of an amp.......I could stretch to this cost wise, but a weight of 40kg and depth of 546mm pretty much rules it out, which is a shame. So I'm keen on the A30.2.....a bridged output of 380W is quoted so could always explore this.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, apparently the Dalis are power hungry. A Krell kav 400 might be better & cheaper than the Primare Pre + 2x A30.2s. Or maybe the high powered MF amps

A

Anonymous

Connected up and sounding sublime......speaker cable has hardly burnt in so it can only get better. Dali's are works of art and I am ecstatic with the sound. Went for the Primare Pre30 and 2x A31s for bi-amping.

Took me so long to finalise everything because wanted to get the cables right.....i'm sure others on here would have chosen differently, but to my ears I heard nothing better than chord epic twin speaker cable, and atlas navigator XLRs......added even more life to my system. I have never appreciated low volume music so much! The quiet sound of a lone acoustic guitar is beautifully delivered......not used to that with a floorstander, I used to have to crank up my B&Ws to get anything out of them.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on here while I was trying to decide what to do......as good as the PMC's are, I'm delighted I opted for Dali.

A

Anonymous

Glad to be of service. Do lettus know how you get on in due course.

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]I have never appreciated low volume music so much![/quote]

That's Dali for you. My wife is quite strict about me playing the music louder than she would like. Earlier I needed to keep the volume up to enjoy the dynamics. But Dalis? They don't need that. I am amazed how they bring out the subtleties of music without needing heaps of current. (And I don't even have one from high end line-up, only the entry level).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]Went for the Primare Pre30 and 2x A31s for bi-amping[/quote]

Hi, I have the Primare Pre30 and Primare A31.2 myself, and I was considering getting another A31.2 for bi-amping.
I was interested to find out how you achieved to connect these 2 power amps to the Pre30, considering that there are only 1 XLR output on the Pre30?
Many Thanks.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="DJ_ROLANDO"][quote user="Sam Srivastava"]Went for the Primare Pre30 and 2x A31s for bi-amping[/quote] Hi, I have the Primare Pre30 and Primare A31.2 myself, and I was considering getting another A31.2 for bi-amping. I was interested to find out how you achieved to connect these 2 power amps to the Pre30, considering that there are only 1 XLR output on the Pre30? Many Thanks.[/quote]

The balanced lead out from the pre-amp is split into 2 XLRs (like a Y shape) that will both connect to the 2 power amps, so only the one output from the Pre30 is needed. Chord or Atlas will happily make this for you (I'm sure others will too). The chameleon silver plus or chorus goes nicely with the system.....the original chorus was used with Primare so a nice synergy there. Personally I used the Atlas Navigator.....it blew me away compared to anything else. Your current XLRs can be sent for modification depending on where you bought them, so no need to fork out for brand new cables if you want to bi-amp.

A

Anonymous

Oh and a word of caution if deciding to bi-amp. The main difference between the A30 and A31 is the quoted bridged mono output - this is up to 380W with the A30, but bridging with the A31s is not possible. The output per A31 is still 200W per channel into 4 Ohms, and my speaker nominal impedance is 4 Ohms, so I'm quite happy with the quality of bi-amping the Helicon 800s with Primare. Considered the A32...but it is a beast of an amp and weighs 40kg!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts