used or ex-dem floorstanders RRP up to £2500

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Alright, my journey continues. For those skimming this, here are the important bits:

Floorstanders I am looking for should be:

- not too big (room is roughly 18m2, large single glazed bay window to front, fireplace on one side)

- not to fussy about placement (max 20" from wall I would say)

- bass is important!

-not at the expense of mids and highs though!

- dark wood/black only

- needs to sound good without having to be turned up very loud

final concern: how tricky will any of these be to drive? (looking to spend up to 1k for amp, happy to spend less though. Or slightly more if DAC inlcuded such as Leema Pulse III)

- no cd player, strictly ALAC macbook > ATV2 >DAC/Amp

BUDGET: no more than £1500, preferably closer to 1k. Most probably used/ex-dem, as I have not yet come across any new ones that I liked (more below).

Short list so far: PMC GB1i/FB1i, Proac Studio 140 MK2/D18, Totem Hawk.

background info

Music I play: lots of hiphop, funk, soul, but also lots of jazz, acoustic guitar and a fair bit of classical. I have recently begun my hifi journey with a budget of 1k for amp and speakers. I have now auditioned B&W 684 and 683, CM8, MA RX6 and 8, Kef Q1200, with various amps.

SInce I am very new to this I still find it quite hard to pinpoint what I don't like about specific speakers and how to describe it. ( I am of course aware that amplification can change things, and room acoustics at home. But it seems that in the high 3 figures or low 4 figures it is hard to get home auditions, and impossible if second hand of course). While I do like 'warm' sound, I didn't find the 684/3s clear enough when playing John Mayer for example. And the bass didn't seem 'tight' enough when loud, it got a bit imprecise if that makes any sense. CM8s were much better in that respect (and the best looking according to the OH) but not enough bass (sub is out of the question). Both of the MAs I tried I just found tiring after more than 30 mins, and the Kefs seemed a bit to 'forward' in the treble when turned up. Several people have recommended Dynaudio xcite 32 or d/m7s, but I am not sure if space will be sufficient for them. I did have a listen to the Dali Ikon 6 MK2, after the Concept 8s seemed rather unrefined, but something was missing there as well. I just fear that speakers up to 1£200RRP bought new will just be too much compromise for me to be happy :( that's why I am looking at second hand speakers I guess. The good thing is I am in no hurry. 2 pairs that I could not fault much were Dynaudio focus 220 and 360, but I fear they will out of my league second hand as well, and I just have to get myself a bigger room first.

One last minor point: in terms of design, I prefer the Dynaudios and Totems to PMC and Proac, but in darker wood finish the missus will tolerate these as well.

And finally a big thank you to everyone. I have been reading this forum for several weeks now and find it tremendously helpful.

EDIT: -used Proac D18 for £1200

- ex-demo PMC GB1i for £850!

A

Anonymous

When I was demo'ing speakers before I settled on my system below I was in the same situation as you; really wanted floorstanders

I demo'd the B&W 684's, M/A RX6's, B&W CM7's and CM9's, Neat Motive 2's, PMC GB1i's and Rega RS5's

Out of the above above the Rega's, M/A's, Neats and PMC's were top BUT I still wasnt sure about them due to the room size my system was in (thats why eventually I went for standmounts with a sub)!

Have you considered decent standmount speakers and possibly adding a small sub at a later date to fill out the lower end?

If you are adamant that you want floorstanders then definitly try to see if you can demo the Rega RS5's (they're gorgeous in gloss black) and the Neat Motive 2's as well

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Helmut80:
Alright, my journey continues. For those skimming this, here are the important bits:

Floorstanders I am looking for should be:

- not too big (room is roughly 18m2, large single glazed bay window to front, fireplace on one side)

- not to fussy about placement (max 20" from wall I would say)

- bass is important!

-not at the expense of mids and highs though!

- dark wood/black only

- needs to sound good without having to be turned up very loud

final concern: how tricky will any of these be to drive? (looking to spend up to 1k for amp, happy to spend less though. Or slightly more if DAC inlcuded such as Leema Pulse III)

- no cd player, strictly ALAC macbook > ATV2 >DAC/Amp

BUDGET: no more than £1500, preferably closer to 1k. Most probably used/ex-dem, as I have not yet come across any new ones that I liked (more below).

Short list so far: PMC GB1i/FB1i, Proac Studio 140 MK2/D18, Totem Hawk.

background info

Music I play: lots of hiphop, funk, soul, but also lots of jazz, acoustic guitar and a fair bit of classical. I have recently begun my hifi journey with a budget of 1k for amp and speakers. I have now auditioned B&W 684 and 683, CM8, MA RX6 and 8, Kef Q1200, with various amps.

SInce I am very new to this I still find it quite hard to pinpoint what I don't like about specific speakers and how to describe it. ( I am of course aware that amplification can change things, and room acoustics at home. But it seems that in the high 3 figures or low 4 figures it is hard to get home auditions, and impossible if second hand of course). While I do like 'warm' sound, I didn't find the 684/3s clear enough when playing John Mayer for example. And the bass didn't seem 'tight' enough when loud, it got a bit imprecise if that makes any sense. CM8s were much better in that respect (and the best looking according to the OH) but not enough bass (sub is out of the question). Both of the MAs I tried I just found tiring after more than 30 mins, and the Kefs seemed a bit to 'forward' in the treble when turned up. Several people have recommended Dynaudio xcite 32 or d/m7s, but I am not sure if space will be sufficient for them. I did have a listen to the Dali Ikon 6 MK2, after the Concept 8s seemed rather unrefined, but something was missing there as well. I just fear that speakers up to 1£200RRP bought new will just be too much compromise for me to be happy :( that's why I am looking at second hand speakers I guess. The good thing is I am in no hurry. 2 pairs that I could not fault much were Dynaudio focus 220 and 360, but I fear they will out of my league second hand as well, and I just have to get myself a bigger room first.

One last minor point: in terms of design, I prefer the Dynaudios and Totems to PMC and Proac, but in darker wood finish the missus will tolerate these as well.

And finally a big thank you to everyone. I have been reading this forum for several weeks now and find it tremendously helpful.

EDIT: -used Proac D18 for £1200

- ex-demo PMC GB1i for £850!

I got my speakers for £1575 ex dem. However the rrp has since gone up so you might not get them within your budget. Second hand you might - wonderful speakers that are not too big and are beautiful to look at also.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80:any specific thoughts on Proac Repsonse D18 vs PMC GB1i? Or are the Proacs more comparable to the FB1i?

a pair of Spendor A6s is also available for £1200.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
totally useless post here but some focus 220's went for around 800 on ebay last week. as for sounding good with low volumes i have found that its very amp specific ( ie current and watts ). mind you, and im guessing here, the easier they are to drive the better they will sound at low volumes

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Helmut80:
a pair of Spendor A6s is also available for £1200.

Good price that a a nice speaker to boot. Restricted with low end grunt (similar to the Totem below) but very capable speaker with the like's of Musical Fidelity. The A5cr pre/power can be picked up for £800/£900 or the A5 integrated for £750 odd.

Totem's cropped up (nice speaker) and the Arro or even the Sttaf at a good price would work with the detailed MF gear as the A6 does. Just a mention on the Totem's, through in a Naim Nait 5i. Not a power house like the MF gear but a 500 watts at 1 ohm busts isn't to shabby either.

DAC wise ,don't know (quandary) maybe just a AE to get you up and running before a serious bye like a pre-owned Ayre QB-9.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, a lot has been happening, and rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would update here.

Thanks to my extended paternity leave and my impeccable time management skills, I have managed to audition a lot more speakers than I thought I would be able to so soon.

circumstances are still the same: room is average sized (roughly 4.5mx4.5m), speakers can't be too far from the wall to keep the rest of the family happy. Aside from the fact that the speaker I want does not exist (happy near the wall, authorative tight bass, on the warm side, clear highs without a hint of harshness, and preferrably for free), I am edging closer to finding something I am willing to live with.

For various reasons home auditions are impossible, but I am quite happy to take that risk. RX6 +, B&W 684, 683, CM8, CM9 have been discounted for various reason.

The conclusion that I have drawn from my extensive listening is that, the speakers I really really like, I cannot afford right now and/or can't be accommodated in the room currently. I really liked: Totem Forests, PMC OB1is, Proac D28, and Dynaudio Focus 220 II. If money and space was no object, it would be one of these. While all different, they all impressed me very much.

I preferred the PMC FB1is to the Proac D18s, but I didn't love them enough to get over their looks.

At the moment it boils down to either Proac Studio 140 MK2, or Dynaudio Excite 32. I am leaning towards the Proacs, I much preferred them over the D18s, a fuller, warmer sound, to my ears anyway. The Dynaudio's win on looks, and I really enjoyed them with the Arcam A38, but I did find them slightly more lean sounding than the Proac Studio 140s. Not necessarily in the bass either the Proacs just seemed a bit more relaxed.

Lastly, there are a few cheapish pairs of ex-dem Excite X36 around. I have not a chance to listen to them, has anyone heard them and the X32s?

Anyway, leaving the amp issue aside for the moment, I am quite excited that my journey will soon come to an end, one way or another.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts