PMC GB1i or FB1i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
[class="Apple-style-span"]Hi,[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]Like to ask for some advice from you guys. [/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]My current setup is: [/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]1x Cyrus Pre XP[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]2x Cyrus 8 Power Amp (Set to Mono driving L and R speaker individually)[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]1x Cyrus CD 6 player[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"] Should I be going for PMC GB1i or FB1i?[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"] I like to do late night listening on my system, and would like bass/tone/detail to travel at low volumes.[/class]

[class="Apple-style-span"]Thanks! [/class]

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Not my own experience but I read on another forum that someone had tried these 2 models and found the FB1i the better of the 2 (especially for bass resolution) at low levels.

A

Anonymous

The FB1i certainly had some serious welly when driven by a Primare I30. Can you home demo? The FBs will need a bit more space to breath so the room is likely to be the deciding factor here.

Hunket:

Hi,

Like to ask for some advice from you guys.

My current setup is:

1x Cyrus Pre XP

2x Cyrus 8 Power Amp (Set to Mono driving L and R speaker individually)

1x Cyrus CD 6 player

Should I be going for PMC GB1i or FB1i?

I like to do late night listening on my system, and would like bass/tone/detail to travel at low volumes.

Thanks!

From a purely 'box size' perspective, the FB1s should have the edge over their smaller siblings. However, in saying that, the GB1s (originals) had the hairs on my neck dancing. As previously mentioned, you really need to audition and decide for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for your advice guys! Unfortunately, I live in Singapore where home demos are hard to come by.

My hifi is placed in an L-shaped living room that can be broken up into L=3.5m, W=3.4m (short length of "L") and L=9.4m, W=3.4m.

Hifi is positioned along the 3.5m wall, and i'd like to be able to hear detail when seated at the end of the 9.4m length of the living room.

Due to space constraints, speakers can only be at most 15 centimeters away from the wall.

My best bet would probably be to get massively powerful amps, but I am stuck with these 2x Cyrus 8s (Set to Mono driving L and R speaker individually).

Would they be powerful enough to drive these speakers? Am I even looking at the correct speakers for my late night listening requirements?

A

Anonymous

The problem is, the FBs are more likely to present you with bass problems than the GBs as they give you more of it. This might be perfectly OK but if not, you'll need some placement flexibility to resolve some of it.

If you listen fairly quietly then it might not matter at all.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Since you are in Singapore, first take a trip to Bukit Timah Plaza and have a listen to the Usher range of speakers, especially the Be-718's or Mini Dancer 1's or 2's

Be-718's work well close to walls, have great detail, surprising bass and are ideal for apartments.

Bag yourself a relative bargin

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a pair of GB1's in a small square shaped room within a cinema set up ( front left and right ).

They are astonishingly good for their diminuitive size - I think they would be perfect for your system and late night listening.

The FB1i's are a big step up ( and alot bigger to accomodate in a small space ) - they may prove a little bit too much.

Although I have the originals ( not the i upgrade ), I find my speakers have excellent seperation and some serious low end clout ( in fact criminally I still have not bought a subwoofer but they are so good in the bass department that it is not lacking as a surround system - I have paper thin walls and dont think the neighbours would appreciate a sub btw ).

I dont have the budget or luxury of having Cyrus seperates but I cant think why they would not excel in that sort of set up ( I do know all about the Cyrus range - it would be my dream partnership but as mentioned I use my cinema set up for cd playback due to space and budget ).

I own a top of the range Sony av amp now - DA5400es but used to own a Denon av amp - 3803 using an Arcam DV79 player for cd ( as well as dvd playback ) - the Sony cant match my old Denon / Arcam for cd playback but what I can tell you is that the GB1's and Denon / Arcam set up was sublime. Seriously good for a cinema set up trying to get the best out of a non seperate system for analogue sound - the PMC's were the icing on the cake.

I am a massive fan of PMC having owned them for a few years now, whatever you decide you are getting top notch speakers. Thoroughly recommended.

A

Anonymous

I heard the GB1's about 3 weeks ago and they sounded superb (were being used with an Arcam FMJ A38 amp and a Rega Saturn CD player).

Their sound was very full and detailed with an astonishing amount of bass for their size in my opinion.

But for me they sounded really good at low volumes as well as being pushed hard.

A

Anonymous

Hi

You might also want to consider the TB2i's as David said... They have plenty of bass/tone/detail at high and low levels - They have the same drive units as the FB1i's and a fair bit cheaper even once you have purchased a pair of stands.

I have no regrets...I got mine from...

David @ Frank Harvey Hi-Fi and HiFix.co.uk (Coventry)
david@frankharvey.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts