Question PMC GB1 viable in 2021?

LucaW

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm currently looking at putting together my first Hi-Fi system. I've been considering purchasing a second-hand PMC GB1. How do these speakers hold up today? Are they competitive with newer speakers that have been released within the last decade? My knowledge is very small so any advice would be very appreciated :) I've also come across various B&W models, so if I do not get the PMC, I will probably lean towards those (unless you have any better suggestions). Thanks!

rainsoothe

Hi. Like everything else in hi-fi, it's all subjective. They're great speakers imo, but only you can tell if they're for you or not. How big is your room? What's the rest of your system gonna be? What's your total budget? What brands are available for you to audition?

Reactions: LucaW and Al ears

Gray

Hi Luca and welcome.
EDIT: Rainsoothe replied as I was typing this, so I've doubled up on some of what he said (but you can't hear it too many times ;)).

I had the GB1 on home loan when it was first around.
Maybe because it was the first floorstander I'd tried, but probably because it didn't suit the room - I decided not to buy it.
However, you might love it, with its transmission line bass (I've got the twenty21 standmount).
If you don't already know, speaker sound is very subjective and influenced by the amplifier driving it and its interaction with your room.

Probably not easy for you to try before you buy, but it would be handy if you could.
If you can get a pair for a good price, they'd certainly be worth a try.
I wouldn't worry about the latest speakers being that much (if any) better.

B&W is a good choice too (I was happy with some CDM1-NT for a while).

Say what music sources you'd like and give a rough idea of your total system budget.
There are plenty of people here that will be happy to advise (y)

Last edited:

LucaW

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi Luca and welcome.
EDIT: Rainsoothe replied as I was typing this, so I've doubled up on some of what he said (but you can't hear it too many times ;)).

I had the GB1 on home loan when it was first around.
Maybe because it was the first floorstander I'd tried, but probably because it didn't suit the room - I decided not to buy it.
However, you might love it, with its transmission line bass (I've got the twenty21 standmount).
If you don't already know, speaker sound is very subjective and influenced by the amplifier driving it and its interaction with your room.

Probably not easy for you to try before you buy, but it would be handy if you could.
If you can get a pair for a good price, they'd certainly be worth a try.
I wouldn't worry about the latest speakers being that much (if any) better.

B&W is a good choice too (I was happy with some CDM1-NT for a while).

Say what music sources you'd like and give a rough idea of your total system budget.
There are plenty of people here that will be happy to advise (y)
Hi. Like everything else in hi-fi, it's all subjective. They're great speakers imo, but only you can tell if they're for you or not. How big is your room? What's the rest of your system gonna be? What's your total budget? What brands are available for you to audition?

Hi guys, thank you:) . I don't quite have a set budget, preferably below £800 (though I'd be willing to spend a little more if it would be beneficial) but I would like to buy everything second-hand. It's also important to me to have an amp that supports USB usage, for easier use linking up with my pc for streaming!
My room is neither small or large, so I believe that bookshelf and floor-standing speakers would just about do the job, though I may be wrong.
During my searching (across sites such as eBay and Gumtree) the 3 main amp brands that I've come across have been: Marantz, Cambridge, and Arcam - so it was likely that I'd end up picking out something from that selection, however once again, any suggestions would be awesome!:)

LucaW

Sep 2, 2021
Visit site
A little update: I've come across the Arcam solo music for, what seems to be, a pretty decent price. Does anyone have any experience with this amp or any information about speaker compatibility? Thanks!

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm currently looking at putting together my first Hi-Fi system. I've been considering purchasing a second-hand PMC GB1. How do these speakers hold up today? Are they competitive with newer speakers that have been released within the last decade? My knowledge is very small so any advice would be very appreciated :) I've also come across various B&W models, so if I do not get the PMC, I will probably lean towards those (unless you have any better suggestions). Thanks!
[/QUOT

I owned the GB1i version with the updated tweeter, they are good speakers and I would try and get the i version if possible as the earlier version of the tweeter is deemed (by some) to be a little harsh/ forward. PMC hold there value so if you do not like them you should get your money back.

Only you will know whether you like them when they are set up in your room.

Good luck.

rainsoothe

A little update: I've come across the Arcam solo music for, what seems to be, a pretty decent price. Does anyone have any experience with this amp or any information about speaker compatibility? Thanks!
Arcam should be a good match with the PMC. Whether a Solo is enough for a pair of GB1 or GB1i i can't really tell, but this hesitance of mine is also part of my bias towards keeping stuff separated if possible (for instance, a good alternative might be finding a sh Arcam FMJ A39 + a blue sound node or, even better, a used Cambridge Audio cxn V2). The Musical Fidelity m2si is also worth looking into (+ a Yamaha WXAD 10 if you need a cheap source).

For other sh stuff, look for Hegel H90 (the new H120 also works as a streamer), Naim Nait XS (first gen, but only if it's been serviced somewhat recently, and Witchhat N2 speaker cable), or another alternative to Arcam's Solo, which is the Naim Unitiqute 2 (although it might be underpowered for the PMC, a Superuniti would be much more appropriate).

P.S.: my main argument for separating the source from the amp section is that technology moves pretty fast on the digital side of things, and old all-in-ones already miss some compatibility stuff. On the other hand, I'd rather have a great sounding old component with some lacking compatibility than a lesser new one that comes with all the bells and whistles :)

Reactions: Al ears
In a word (two actually) yes and yes.

I've home demoed the GB1 smaller siblings DB1 with my Arcam A65+ and the combination is sublime. Hi-fi is about synergy, and assuming you have decent room acoustics, can't see any issues at all.

I own TB2s powered by a Leema, and again it's a fantastic combo. These older PMCs tend to be one of the most compliant speakers when it comes to amplifier matching.

Buy with confidence and good luck.

D

Deleted member 160668

I'll chip into this one as I've owned quite a few of those listed above.

PMC's are good speakers. Try to get the "i" series GB1's if you can as they are newer and better spec.

Arcam match fantastically. I have PMC twenty 23's currently. My previous amp was Arcam A39 which was excellent. However, expect to pay £600ish for a good example.

The Arcam Solo would be fine. BUT don't get the solo mini as this won't have enough puff for the PMC's (I've had one of these too). I actually quite like the Solo and for the money they go for they are a bargain. There is a newer Neo version which I've not heard.

Someone mentions a Cambridge CXN above. I had this too. A great streamer for the cash.

Did you mean £800 in total to spend? The PMC's plus an Arcam Solo would be most/all of this I would have thought.

Reactions: CheshirePete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts