Plinius 9200 or Plinius Hiato to power Mordaunt-Short Performance 6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

Currently, I have got a Marantz PM-KI Pearl 2-channel integrated amplifier powering my Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 loudspeakers. Audio quality is sensational.

However, being fortunate enough to be Australian, Plinius gear (being from our neighbours, New Zealand) is very well-priced in Australia.

I was wondering if the Plinius 9200, or even the Plinius Hiato, would be a good sonic 'match' for the Mordaunt-Short Performance 6?

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate. I am certainly very happy with the audio performance of the Pearls with the Performance 6's.

I would have liked to see What Hi Fi review the limited-edition Marantz SA-KI Pearl SACD/CD Player and Marantz PM-KI Pearl Integrated Amplifier. They have been very well-reviewed internationally.

I suppose it's one of those things; always wondering about improving audio performance. The Plinius 9200 for not much more money here in Australia (compared to the PM-KI Pearl) has me considering trading-in my PM-KI Pearl for the Plinius because on paper, the Plinius has got more than twice the amount of power.

What Hi Fi certainly rates the Plinius 9200 very well, and the Performance 6 speakers as well. I think that Claire Newsome even has Performance 6's at home, so I was wondering how the What Hi Fi crew think the Plinius 9200 would go, powering the Mordaunt-Short Performance 6. Certainly for power, the Plinius will power the Performance 6's with no issues but I was wondering about if it would be a good partnership for tonal balance, etc.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

hi

i am in a similar situation like you.............regarding setup !

decided after much choosing to go for the marantz reference + MS performance combo.............(dont have the room for the P6 hence the choice for p2......otherwise you know my pick!!!!!!)

i have marantz sa11s2 + pm11s2................waiting for my Performance 2 to arrive in a few days(cant wait !!!!!)

someone heard the new Performance 2 maybe (i know the reviews).......but any personal experiences/thoughts?

if marantz + MS combo sound as you mentioned sensational(and i believe you!) why changing your equipment?????.............plus hiato is very expensive too (for me!)...........and with the plinius 9200 i dont belive you;ll get much for the money compared with pm -ki integrated................

in short: enjoy your current setup............i envy you :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I've used the Plinius 9200 together with the Mordaunt Short Performance 6s and it was a superb-sounding combo - lashings of detail and control
emotion-21.gif

Definitely worth an audition - along with the Hiato, which is something else again. Go get a demo!

A

Anonymous

Thanks alien123. I am sure that you will be very happy with the Mordaunt-Short Performance 2 loudspeakers. Unfortunately, being in Western Australia, it is difficult to find a lot of good high-end hi-fi components to audition and I have not been to a store that stocks and demos the Performance 2's.

I have got no complaints whatsoever regarding the audio performance of the Pearl combination but audio performance can always be improved.
emotion-2.gif

The Plinius 9200 retails here for AUD$6,000.00, which is comfortably under GBP3,000 and if I can get a good deal trading-in my PM-KI Pearl for one of them and the performance improvement is, in my opinion, worth it, then I would certainly consider it.

The Plinius Hiato retails for about AUD$10,000.00, which is comfortably under GBP5,000 and looks like an awesome unit and I was thinking it could be worth major consideration.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare. Unfortunately, I shan't be able to get an audition of the Plinius Hiato. We only have one retailer here that sells Plinius and they only stock the Plinius 9200 which they sold a couple of weeks ago and are awaiting their next 9200 to arrive. I shall audition the 9200 when they next receive it.

Dan.

Hi dantan

The Plinius 9200 offers a step up in performance over the Marantz KI Pearl amp however as good as the 9200 is the Hiato is frighteningly better.
emotion-3.gif
The Hiato is a monster both physically and terms of its power. I had Inception on yesterday and the Hiato showed no mercy to a pair of PL200's or to me. I won't repeat the numerous comments but needless to say the Hiato has left the PL200's and me feeling bruised and battered.
emotion-2.gif

If the Hiato is within your budget then you really owe it to yourself hear this amplifier.
emotion-1.gif
I would have thought your Plinius dealer could get a hold of a loan/demo unit.

Btw, what is going on with Inception?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts