Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 - help, please, Clare!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I believe you own a pair of these in your home, Clare, so you must be mightily impressed with the Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 loudspeakers!

I am looking to upgrade my front pair of loudspeakers for now, and the centre channel, surround loudspeakers, and sub-woofer in the future, as funds permit.

I have a Cyrus CD 8 SE CD Player and PSX-R fully-regulated out-board power supply. Amplification is a NAD Masters Series M25 7 x 160-watt Power Amplifier. Pre-Amplifier is a Marantz AV8003 Surround Processor/Pre-Amplifier.

Will my amplification be sufficient/good enough for the Performance 6's?

Dan.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Should be peachy, but i'd urge an audition - not everyone takes to the ultra-revealing nature of these speakers. They work best in space, too, so consider where you're going to place them in the room (including the formidable centre, once you've got it). Can you get your gear to an audition?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Dantan - your set up will work with the Performance 6's but as Clare mentions a demonstration really is crucial. I really like what the 6's do and I love their appearance but it needs to be right for you.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare and Nick for your comments.

I shall be going to have a listen (about 18 months ago, I had a bit of a listen to these briefly, and liked the sound the Performance 6's produced) of the Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 this Saturday.

The problem that I have got is that there are only two retailers of Performance Series here in Western Australia (that I know of, anyway), and neither retailer sells/stocks any of my gear or anything similar.

Unfortunately, Clare, my NAD M25 7-channel Power Amplifier weighs 43.7kg, so I really don't want to have to un-plug it and pull it out and lug it with me. My Marantz AV8003 is much, much lighter, but I still don't really feel like un-plugging it and taking it with me.

Perhaps I can ask to see if there is any chance that I might be able to get a home demo.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response once more, Clare.

The pricing of some UK loudspeakers here in Australia is very interesting.

For example, a pair of Mordaunt-Short Performance 6 loudspeakers retail for AUD$11,600.00 (equating to approximately 5,291GBP). A pair of Monitor Audio PL300 loudspeakers retail for AUD$13,500.00 (equating to approximately 6,158GBP).

I do love the PL300 enormously, but it is well out of my budget, unless I can get a superb deal from a retailer outside of Western Australia (we only have one Monitor Audio retailer in Western Australia, and they're arrogant, when it comes to pricing).

With the Performance 6's, I shall be expecting to be able to get a sensational deal from a retailer here, otherwise, I would think that retailing for 2,000GBP less in the UK than the PL300, the PL300 would be much better value for not-much-more-money here.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

I was unable to obtain an in-house demo of the Performance 6's, but I managed to audition them on Saturday, powered by a Primare I31 2-channel integrated amplifier and CD31 CD Player.

The Performance 6's are absolutely superb. They sound clean, clear, and for me, most importantly, realistic.

Performance-wise, I must admit that the Performance 6's are very close to the Monitor Audio PL300's.

Price-wise here in Australia, the PL300 only retail for under 900GBP more than the Performance 6's. For this kind of price difference, the Monitor Audio is better value, but I am aware that in the UK, the price difference is about 2,000GBP, which to me would certainly push it the way of the Mordaunt-Short.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While the Performance 6's sound good, we feel that there are quite a few alternatives that offer a little more. Take a look at the KEF Reference 203/2's, Proac D28/D38, and the ATC SCM20SL's. As already mentioned, a demo is a must, especially with your own amplification.

Regards

David

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I was nosing round my local dealer this morning, and they had a mint pair of these speakers, only 12 months old, listed at a great price

Couldn't resist at the offer, so I snapped them up! Especially as they seem to be listed at around £3800 new these days!

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
just the 6's.... still can't help feeling that the price was right though. I'm told they now retail at £4k after a recent price rise. If for whatever reason they don't fit in with my existing system I'm sure i'll be able to relist them and be confident of achieving my purchase price again.

TRENDING THREADS