Plinius 9200 and CD 101

Edwardsj

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to find a dealer who can offer the above for the GBP3000 buying price (each) that What Hi fi say the price level should be in the buying guide. so far the "cheapest" I can find is around GBP3900 each which is a lot over the guide price.

Any ideas on where I might find a good deal in the Uk or Europe or a good search site. Tried several but they dont come up with anything.

Edwardsj

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm, sounds like Plinius may have put prices up without letting us know. Your best bet is to contact the UK distributor, Tsource, who'll have the very latest on stockists and pricing:

United Kingdom
TSOURCE LTD
Unit B
Staverton Technology Park
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
GL51 6TQ
Great Britain

Tel 01452 859652

Email studio@tsource.co.uk
Web www.tsource.co.uk

In the meantime, i'll get onto their PR to see if there's been a pricing update.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
£3000 up to £3900 is a hell of a price hike!

err... £300 = 10 percent, so umm... £900 = 30 percent !!

That surely cannot be due to the usual.. "current economic climate... blah blah" type excuses reasons.

I remember the 'fuss' when Naim raised prices in April by about 5 percent across the board but 30 percent has got to be sheer opportunism.

Edwardsj

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks will contact them but for info I have got the price down to about £6500 for the two delivered. Next issue would be speakers, speaker cable (bi-wire) and interconnects. Can WHFI make a recommendation or when the Plinius was reviewed did you do a "now try it with these" ?

James

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've tested the Plinius pairing with a range of speakers and accessories, and the good news is that they're incredibly flexible - so you can pick something to suit your budget, room and sonic-tweaking taste.

For speakers, the very best partners we've discovered to date are Spendor's SP100R (huge £5000 standmounts), or Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 (also £5000; floorstanders).

However, anything from the likes of Wilson Benesch's Square Twos upwards should be considered; when I borrowed the Plinius pair, I loved the ultra-revealing nature of them driving my Mordaunt Short Performance 6s.

Interconnect-wise, again it'll be up to your budget and taste (and remember there's the balanced XLR option), but i'd urge you to borrow some higher-end (£100+) cables to at least have a try at what they could accomplish compared to more affordable fare. Ditto speaker cable; here we found Atlas Ascent MkII cables a good match with the Plinius/Spendor combo, incidentally.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks will check them out, question, are balanced XLR's better than or worse than high end interconnects or is it all down to taste?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Weak £ result in a massive price rise in hifi market, unless you willing to buy british (and why not, i suppose!) there is no other way than accept the rip off Britain price tag.

Having say that, I bet you will see the cheaper new price list (certain bands) in August (£ getting better against $ but still not so good in Euro)....so I would wait a little longer.

and as for interconnects question I would start off another war...er I mean thread so everyone can join in (I wouldn't be though)

A

Anonymous

Edwards3:Many thanks will check them out, question, are balanced XLR's better than or worse than high end interconnects or is it all down to taste?Definitely! as far as my experience goes, all else being equal, balanced connections offer better dynamics and signal to noise ratio.

A

Anonymous

Mmm... It's a tough call. The sonic fluidity of the XLRs brings out the tonal clarity, the 'je ne c'est quoi' of audio gold that only a balanced connection can offer. That signal to noise ratio is crucial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts