Playstation 1, the greatest CD player to grace planet Earth?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just found a Playstation 1 on ebay, modified to play CDs better than normal. The guy wants £160 for it. I then looked further into this and found that people think the unmodified Playstation 1 to be something of a god given CD player. One site said you wont get a better CD player for less than $6000! Do I need to see a doctor, or is this the biggest wind up to grace the internet?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]The guy wants £160 for it.[/quote]

I have an unmodified one my attic - after reading your post I was almost tempted to clamber up there and hook it up...... but I can't be bothered. Tell you what, I'll sell you it for 159.00 squid and you can tell me if it's the dogs!

A

Anonymous

Same applies here I heard something about this on here before! And yes...if you're interested I can give you a PS1 the original bought in 1996 for £160 with a complimentary wired remote and RidgeRacer (the first ever PS1 game).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My mate and I already had a go (about 2 years ago) and can confirm that is a lot of s--t!

even when they heavily mod the player...

MSTaufbau.JPG

not my btw

A

Anonymous

Available 2nd hand on Ebay for a few squid, or in some countries you can still find them on the shelf new (I saw them in an electronics shop in Budapest last year). The answer to the original question, however, is "No".

A

Anonymous

[quote user="richardjlarby"]Do I need to see a doctor, or is this the biggest wind up to grace the internet?[/quote]

yes to both.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]My mate and I already had a go (about 2 years ago) and can confirm that is a lot of s--t![/quote]

Damn. Following Thiaman's claim which I think is accurate....I don't have Ridge Racer, but I have WipeOut which is bloody brilliant. I'll sell it for 89.99 squid???? Bargain or what?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"][quote user="Thaiman"]My mate and I already had a go (about 2 years ago) and can confirm that is a lot of s--t![/quote]

Damn. Following Thiaman's claim which I think is accurate....I don't have Ridge Racer, but I have WipeOut which is bloody brilliant. I'll sell it for 89.99 squid???? Bargain or what?[/quote]

WIPE OUT! I have that too! The one with the funny plane things! Although the greatest game ever in my opinion was JETSTRIKE for DOS PC. Fantastic it was!

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a soundbite from the S.S.P.W.M. (Sony Self Promotion War Machine). "Not only will have we conquered the high definition world we also made the best CD player of all time. You will be amazed at the Playstation 1's Sound Engine (TM) with amazing Digital Definition Clarity (TM) and an unsurpassed Crystal Logic Laser Source (TM)."

Expect thousands of loyal Sony fans (sorry, sheep) to head to Ebay to re-purchase this amazing Sony world changing audiophile CD player only to find out its JUST A BLOODY GAMES CONSOLE!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PiperUK"]Expect thousands of loyal Sony fans (sorry, sheep) to head to Ebay to re-purchase this amazing Sony world changing audiophile CD player only to find out its JUST A BLOODY GAMES CONSOLE![/quote]

Mmm, yeah... I'll be looking out for that.
emotion-18.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough I was in KJ West One last week looking at a new Krell based AV system and was just about to sign the cheque for £250k when the salesman said that he had something else up his sleeve. He then pulled out a Sony PS and a logitech iSystem 7/iRiver combo.

£47 later and I'm at home. It's just unbelievable how pukka this sounds, just wait til I show my friends that I'm a true audiophile now!

And Debbie Does Dallas through surround sound too!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="PiperUK"]
Sounds like a soundbite from the S.S.P.W.M. (Sony Self Promotion War Machine). "Not only will have we conquered the high definition world we also made the best CD player of all time. You will be amazed at the Playstation 1's Sound Engine (TM) with amazing Digital Definition Clarity (TM) and an unsurpassed Crystal Logic Laser Source (TM)."

Expect thousands of loyal Sony fans (sorry, sheep) to head to Ebay to re-purchase this amazing Sony world changing audiophile CD player only to find out its JUST A BLOODY GAMES CONSOLE!

[/quote]

Haha Piper you really don't like Sony much do you? ;) I'm one of those 'sheep' i'm afraid and on the whole think that the majority of their products are excellent. However I am more than willing to confess that in my experience (and by that I mean listening to my old PS1 through my Sony 940 amp ;)) the PS1 is a truely AWFUL cd player.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="Hughes123"][Although the greatest game ever in my opinion was JETSTRIKE for DOS PC. Fantastic it was![/quote]

Nah, best ever was Revenge of the Mutant Camels on Commodore 64....
[/quote]

No no no. Jetpac for the Spectrum.[/quote]

The best game ever was surely Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="Hughes123"][Although the greatest game ever in my opinion was JETSTRIKE for DOS PC. Fantastic it was![/quote]

Nah, best ever was Revenge of the Mutant Camels on Commodore 64....
[/quote]

No no no. Jetpac for the Spectrum.[/quote]

Oh, you are so, so, so right..! Jetpac was a complete legend of a game, closely followed by Manic Miner...

A

Anonymous

Sorry, Jeff Minter was one of the all time greats. You just can't argue with Gridrunner or AotMCs. Awesome stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts