PLATINUM REAR SPEAKERS ? ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all I've decided to save up and treat my self this Christmas for some matching Platinum rear speakers ,the thing that I'm unsure of is do I go for the PL100 s or at a little push I could go for another set of PL 200 s . Would this be total over kill with 2 sets of the PL 200 s up front and for rears and a total waste of what the PL 200 can do as a awesome speaker . Ps I know that my Pioneer LX83 is not doing the platinum total justise ,but I am holding on a couple of months for all the new ranges to come out and then going down the pre / pro road . Any help would be most welcome THANKS from Bamz

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for a pair of Monitor Audio GXFX rears: when I had a chat with MA's Alex Brady the other week – he brought in some GX100s for a Gramophone review – he was explaining that part of the design thinking for the GXFX was to offer a good rear channel solution for anyone lucky enough to have Platinums 'up front'

Bamz said:
Hi all I've decided to save up and treat my self this Christmas for some matching Platinum rear speakers ,the thing that I'm unsure of is do I go for the PL100 s or at a little push I could go for another set of PL 200 s . Would this be total over kill with 2 sets of the PL 200 s up front and for rears and a total waste of what the PL 200 can do as a awesome speaker . Ps I know that my Pioneer LX83 is not doing the platinum total justise ,but I am holding on a couple of months for all the new ranges to come out and then going down the pre / pro road . Any help would be most welcome THANKS from Bamz

Hi Bamz

I'll recommend that you go for the PL100's as rear speakers and replace the PLC150 with the PLC350 :twisted: centre instead. The new Audiolab 8200AP and 8200X7 should be released in the next few months and the these look likely to provide a big upgrade over the LX83 which will help to further unlock the performance of Platinum speakers :) Thereafter amplification such Chord Electronics SPM3005 :twisted: and Plinius Odean :twisted: will relish scaring the living daylights of the Platinum speakers :grin: (which is no mean feat btw).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bamz

I agree with Andrew. The GXFX is going to be an ideal rear speaker for Platinum owners who want a more diffuse rear effect - although, with the controls on them, they can be made to act as monopole speakers as well, so they're very flexible.

Alternatively, either the PL100 or PL200 will match in nicely as they all use the same size drivers - obviously the PL200's are the better match. When the going gets rough, the rear speakers can be kicking out just as much as the fronts, so in this respect, they won't be a waste. Also, any ambient noise or sound effects flowing from speaker to speaker will be tonally correct - if you use PL100's, they'll sound different in the mid and lower frequencies.

A

Anonymous

Hi David,

Do you think the GXFX would be an adequate alternative to the pl100 or would it be an obvious downgrade in performance? I can afford the pl100 but if other alternatives will be better than any advice on these would be much appreciated. I don't want to make any mistakes at this price level as I am sure you can understand. I just want my eventual investment to be the best it can be. :pray:

I'm considering buying the Platinums and I am concerned about the pl100 not being a 'dedicated' surround speaker as compared to the KEF 206/2ds or the GXFX. And the fact that the pl100 is front firing and without the option of dipole and so on. So do you think a dedicated surround speaker built for purpose is a better investment? What do you think?

I have been considering using the GXFX as surrounds for the platinums if I buy them. But would the 206/2ds work despite the difference in manufacturer and all that entails?

I don't know if I should buy the pl200 as surrounds or the KEFs or GXFX. :wall:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MA said:
Hi David,

Do you think the GXFX would be an adequate alternative to the pl100? I'm considering buying the Platinums and I am concerned about the pl100 not being a 'dedicated' surround speaker as compared to the KEF 206/2ds or the GXFX. And the fact that the pl100 is front firing and without the option of dipole and so on. So do you think a dedicated surround speaker built for purpose is a better investment? What do you think?

I have been considering using the GXFX as surrounds for the platinums if I buy them. But would the 206/2ds work despite the difference in manufacturer and that entails?

Thanks.

MA

Hope you don't mind if I chip in until David replies. I think there may be a little confusion by the meaning of "dedicated surround". It's not called "dedicated" because it's better as such, but because it can only be used as an effects speaker.

Rather than producing a focused sound, it causes more of a diffused sound that you can't pinpoint. IMO. On 5.1, they are more atmospheric, but going 7.1, I would rather have a focused sound due to having 4 speakers covering the rear. It really is a matter of taste.

In this months WHF there is a rear speaker "jargon buster" which gives a good explanation. Also there is a highend suppliment which talks about the Anthem and the Arcam pre/power that was being talked about.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Hi guys , Thanks for some very great replys so far ,I certainly did not think of the GX 100 s as a option at all so I will definitely be looking in to them ,Thanks Andrew mate . I like the idea of going for the PL 100 s to and changing my center for the monster PLC 350 :) as suggested by Rick . And then finally Dave mentioned at the end , that the PL 200s for the rears would match my fronts and would not be a waste as I thought ,and when all guns are blazing and cranked up while Watching films they could go as loud as the fronts >) DECISIONS ? DECISIONS ? DECISIONS ? Well I got a bit of saving to go and I'm not going to get anything till Christmas time or the start of Jan to catch the offers on :) so I will keep you all posted what I'm going to go for and then get some pics up of my system to . THANKS from Bamz

A

Anonymous

Hi Cno,

I don't mind at all. Thanks for the information. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi MA , Are you any further from making a decision on the Platinums or Kefs yet ? That very heavy price tag as put me off the Kefs :) as awesome as they may be and if you want the high gloss finishes it gose through the roof I would have to sell a kidney or better still the miss'is for them :grin: If you go for the Platinums I don't think you will be disappointed one bit,and I noticed you will be useing them with films a lot and they are totaly awesome with any films I've ever put through them ,makes me smile everytime :) And I've only got the PL 200 s if you go for the PL300 s they would be way better again ,keep me posted what you are going for and what rears you will go for to thanks mate . From Bamz

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bamz said:
Hi guys , Thanks for some very great replys so far ,I certainly did not think of the GX 100 s as a option at all so I will definitely be looking in to them ,Thanks Andrew mate . I like the idea of going for the PL 100 s to and changing my center for the monster PLC 350 :) as suggested by Rick . And then finally Dave mentioned at the end , that the PL 200s for the rears would match my fronts and would not be a waste as I thought ,and when all guns are blazing and cranked up while Watching films they could go as loud as the fronts >) DECISIONS ? DECISIONS ? DECISIONS ? Well I got a bit of saving to go and I'm not going to get anything till Christmas time or the start of Jan to catch the offers on :) so I will keep you all posted what I'm going to go for and then get some pics up of my system to . THANKS from Bamz

Hi Bamz

My view is that the surrounds give the least "bang for buck", with the centre being the most important for AV. Also money spent on Amps, B'ray and Subs have a greater impact. IMO. The GXFX/GX100 would be fine.

If you play a lot of multi-channel music, then the rears become more important.

For a while I had Kef IQ dipoles rears with Kef Reference at the front, without a problem. I only changed them because of getting the previous generation Ref 206/ds at silly money on ebay.

Cno

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm currently running my system in a 4.1 configuration with the PL100's at the front and some MA Apex speakers at the back. I've recently taken delivery of the PLC350 for when I move house in a couple of weeks.

It's worth considering B-grade gear as it's significantly cheaper than the A-grade stuff and still sounds the same... I purchased my centre speaker from Frank Harvey as B-grade. It'll shorten the saving time! That said, I'm saving for the PL200's as A-grade so that I can move the PL100's to the back.

Bamz said:

Hi Bamz

Your welcome.

The PLC350 is indeed a monster :twisted: Most of my clients who see and hear the PLC350 also have much the same view as yours about PLC350 :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MA said:
Hi David,

Do you think the GXFX would be an adequate alternative to the pl100 or would it be an obvious downgrade in performance? I can afford the pl100 but if other alternatives will be better than any advice on these would be much appreciated. I don't want to make any mistakes at this price level as I am sure you can understand. I just want my eventual investment to be the best it can be. :pray:

I'm considering buying the Platinums and I am concerned about the pl100 not being a 'dedicated' surround speaker as compared to the KEF 206/2ds or the GXFX. And the fact that the pl100 is front firing and without the option of dipole and so on. So do you think a dedicated surround speaker built for purpose is a better investment? What do you think?

I have been considering using the GXFX as surrounds for the platinums if I buy them. But would the 206/2ds work despite the difference in manufacturer and all that entails?

Thanks.

Until the GX series came along, the only alternatice to the PL100 as a rear speaker would've been the GSFX, which would work ok, but not ideal as different drivers are being used. YOu could argue the same with the GXFX, but they're the closest you're going to get to a matching, dedicated rear effect speaker for the Platinum series. If the main use of the system is movies, then the GXFX are the way to go, especially if you like a diffuse, enveloping surround field. If you like a more precise soundfield, as you would with a stereo pair of speakers, then the PL100's are going to be more your thing. The good thing about the GXFX is that they can switch between dipole and monopole, so will suit movies and music. Which you prefer is really up to you, so a demo is the only way forward.

I wouldn't use the KEF's as rears with the Platinums.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bamz,

Thanks for the kind interest.

I am waiting to listen to them both. I'll keep you informed, Bamz. And thanks again for the interest. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts