Plasma running in time

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I've finally taken the plunge and ordered myself a 50GT30. Since it's my first plasma how much running in time does it need before I can start playing my xbox to avoid any image retention?

Thanks.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
200 hours is the accepted minimum run in time for any plasma tv. I ran my 42GT30 in for this ammount of time before i even thought about using my PS3 and it's been fine with no image retention issues atall but don't forget that it's not just games consoles you should avoid, any still images should be avoided meaning no photos and be careful with those pesky channel logos, it's best to avoid 4:3 content as the black bars down the side can cause issues and the same goes for widescreen movies.

Keep any content with black bars to a minimum but of course that doesn't mean don't watch any movies atall just be careful and don't have marathon movie sessions! Watch as much full screen content as you can for the first 200 hours, calibrate the tv and avoid the dynamic picture mode like the plague and all should be well after that but most importantly enjoy the tv :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes there are Hems!

The GT30 series comes with a handy feature to help with image retention, you get pixel orbiter and scrolling bar options and both are found in the picture menu under advanced settings.

Pixel orbiter is the main one to be aware of as it constantly shifts the image on screen on a pixel by pixel basis to help stop image retention and i've found it very helpful, for the run in period set this to 'on' rather than the default 'auto' as it will really help but don'y worry it makes no perceivable difference to picture quality as the human eye simply can't see it working.

Scrolling bar is essentially a screen wash to help wipe away any potential image retention, i have only used it once or twice but it has been an effective tool when i've needed it.

More important is that you calibrate the screen in some way when you get it as this will really help with keeping image retention at bay, even if you just do a basic THX dvd calibration you will be doing alot of good. For games though calibrate using a game that has brightness and contrast screens....Fifa comes to mind but many others have this feature and use the game mode on the tv when you do this and for playing games of course.

You will need to calibrate again after the run in period as black levels tend to change after the first 200 hours but apart from that there is little else to tell you, i did find the THX picture preset a little yellow in colour but it's good for some content oh and don't forget to calibrate every picture preset that you use.

Enjoy the tv Hems, it's fantastic!

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again Oldboy. Cant wait - It's been delivered but I dont get to go home until thurs. Do you know if theres a THX calibration mode on the star wars blu rays?

200 hours is a v long running in period. As an avid gamer its going to be hard to not to use my xbox but i'll have to resist. I was really getting in to the battlefield 3 beta.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Bad news Hems the Star Wars blurays have no THX calibration modes on them atall and imo it's a major oversight on such a major release!

There is the new THX auto calibration codec included on the discs which is a new system that automatically adjusts the picture for optimum performance but there is currently no kit out there that is compatible so it's a tad pointless, i can't see many people changing all their kit just to get this feature so it's a big faux par from THX and a bit mean!

Beleive me i feel your pain with the lack of gaming for the run in period as i'm a big gamer myself and i'm liking the Battlefield beta too although i have to say that the graphics feel a bit last gen but then it is a beta so i'm not going to be too critical until i own it. Fortunately i have a samsung 32" led tv in the bedroom so i just moved the PS3 in there for the run in.

There is nothing stopping you using the tv for gaming as long as you resist the temptation to have long sessions on it...if you ration your usage it should be fine but there are no guarantees, if it was me i would just leave it as long as i could before i caved in...even if you resist for the first 50 hours it will help but just be very careful for the run in period and keep an eye out for any IR but really 200 hours is ideal but of course not always practical.

What you do is up to you but with so many great games out in the very near future i wouldn't blame you if you caved in early!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Keep the brightness and contrast down for the initial run-in period, what i done was calibrated the tv and then knocked back both the brightness and contrast by three or four notches but not so far down that the picture isn't watchable. Once the tv was past the 200 hours mark i recalibrated and left the brightness and contrast as they should be and all has been good so far, i have had no IR or burn and no picture issues so i'm very glad i went to the trouble. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts