Plasma Picture Quality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Joeleman. So are you watching tv through your V+ box? If so, you should be getting a decent picture. My brother in law has the same tv as me (Sony LCD) and has it linked up to V+ and the SD picture is very good. The Onkyo will upscale better than your screen will. So if you have your TV connected to a receiver like the above mentioned and then your V+ box connected to your receiver it will take the information from the V+ box, do it's thing and then reproduce it on to the screen.

A

Anonymous

I have a similar problem with a 42pz70. Everything looks fine apart from SD football. Some games channels are better than others. Is there a setting I could change to improve this? Maybe get rid of noise?

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]By the way, as a customer you were not made to buy a Plasma.[/quote]

Agreed as a customer you are not "made" to buy, but if you need a new tv you now have 2 choices plasma or lcd neither are that good esp at sd and you are forced to choose one, its interesting to note that crt tv's are still available and going srong in Japan etc I wonder why !!

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]By the way, as a customer you were not made to buy a Plasma.[/quote]

Agreed as a customer you are not "made" to buy, but if you need a new tv you now have 2 choices plasma or lcd neither are that good esp at sd and you are forced to choose one, its interesting to note that crt tv's are still available and going srong in Japan etc I wonder why !!

A

Anonymous

As Kitkat points out, I have 3 choices

1 Plasma.

2 LCD

3 No telly.

All 3 options fail to live up to CRT on moving action. I would say that is backwards technology. If as you say it is the signal and you need HD, then HD should be available to all free. The manufacturers should continue CRT TV'S untill the signal is good enough.

A

Anonymous

In fairness, I've never read anywhere an article shouting the virtues of flat screen motion handling. HD or SD it's not going to happen until, perhaps, OLED. I've got a Pioneer 428xd and that does not come close to CRT for fast motion handling. I douubt that even the best LCD's would fair any better. Those that tell you otherwise have been watching flat screens for a long while and forgotten what CRT was capable of.

Is a projector an option?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
There is another option. I sold my working perfectly 28inch Panasonic Quintrix 100hz CRT for £45 on Ebay. I did this as I wanted a tv on the wall looking good and to get some 1080p going. I'm much happier. If you like CRT better, Ebay is the answer.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Very Annoyed"]If as you say it is the signal and you need HD, then HD should be available to all free. The manufacturers should continue CRT TV'S untill the signal is good enough.[/quote]

I agree - if only HD broadcasts were available for free instead of some of the @$%& they show on Freeview! Unfortunately, there's only so much bandwidth available and Ofcom don't seem interested in HD. They'll only become interested in it if enough of the public voice their demand for it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]There is another option. I sold my working perfectly 28inch Panasonic Quintrix 100hz CRT for £45 on Ebay. I did this as I wanted a tv on the wall looking good and to get some 1080p going. I'm much happier. If you like CRT better, Ebay is the answer.[/quote]

Funnily enough I was having a look on e-bay yesterday. There are a lot of CRT TV's available.

I might just go down that road for a couple of years, and see if things improve. Trouble is, you are buying second hand, and you don't really know if the set has a fault. But for £50-£100 for a 28''-32'' TV it might be worth it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Very Annoyed"]The very fact that Sony is selling CRT sets in the far East leads me to think we
are being taken for mugs here in the UK.[/quote]

I've made comments about the quality of lcd in a different post (which didn't go down too well ;) ) and I'm so pleased that some other people feel the same way! If you remember Sony held out with Trinitron for a long time while Sharp and Samsung were full steam ahead with lcd. This makes me think that Sony actually believed (rightly or wrongly...and it might even have been arrogance) that Trinitron's single beam 'outshone' lcd. Perhaps the desire for a flat panel was so strong in European and US markets that sales of CRT started to decline no matter how much Sony believed in them. Infact as far as I understand this was a pretty significant factor in the financial problems faced by Sony in 2006...and resulted in them desparately trying to play 'catch up' by joining forces with Samsung and creating the joint SSLCD plant in Korea. Sayonara Bridgend!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Very Annoyed"]

1 Plasma.

2 LCD

3 No telly.

All 3 options fail to live up to CRT on moving action. I would say that is backwards technology. If as you say it is the signal and you need HD, then HD should be available to all free. The manufacturers should continue CRT TV'S untill the signal is good enough.
[/quote]

I am slightly concerned that since you have been unable to get your screen up and running satisfactorily that you're spreading FUD and labelling all the technology as unable to deliver on motion and sports. I repeat that I have got a picture that is at least as good as anything I ever saw from my own crt (25" 4:3 so not entirely comparable with 37" widescreen), and a 36" quintrix that I looked after for a friend for a number of months. I invite anyone to view it to confirm that I don't just have low standards.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="browelly"][quote user="Very Annoyed"]

1 Plasma.

2 LCD

3 No telly.

[/quote] I am slightly concerned that since you have been unable to get your screen up and running satisfactorily that you're spreading FUD and labelling all the technology as unable to deliver on motion and sports. I repeat that I have got a picture that is at least as good as anything I ever saw from my own crt (25" 4:3 so not entirely comparable with 37" widescreen), and a 36" quintrix that I looked after for a friend for a number of months. I invite anyone to view it to confirm that I don't just have low standards.[/quote]If you are correct, (and I have no reason to doubt you) and you can get as good a picture for fast moving action as an old CRT, then look at what you have to pay for the privilege of matching the old technology.

You have to subscribe to HD which costs an extra £10 per month on top of the £456 I already pay for Sky SD. Then you have to pay for an HD TV, cost £700-£1500 just to get picture quality you could have got 15 years ago at half the price.

Obviously people want these bigger screens, and that has forced the manufacturers to give up making CRT TV's. But I find it extraordinary that Sony have given up their technological lead that they had in picture quality from their Trinitron tube for LCD.

A

Anonymous

I'm not talking about HD though. I watch via an upscaled freeview box (BT Vision). But the internal freeview decoder works perfectly well too. I seriously think there is something wrong with your telly.

A

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic PZ70. There is a noise reduction setting in the picture menu (P-NR). The default is off, turning this on in combination with turning off the overscan setting (in settings Menu) seemed to improve the picture for football.

A

Anonymous

Browelly, having the Th 37 PX70 i have to agree with you i think these are the rants of a - someone who has a faulty set or b- a everything was rosy in the good old days bandwagon member!

everyone looks back at affection for old technology - space invaders, commodore amiga, sega mega drive, vhs but in the real world retro only goes so far!! CRT was good and still is but the thing is its bloody heavy, bulky, unfashionable and in my opinion SD is not as good as HD and before we go on about oh yeah my SD performance is no good on my 50 inch plasma get it into pespective the lower resolution CRT covered up the signals inadequancies, if you have the same set as i'm watching Sky sports 1 football on SD is amazing great clarity and motion, on Sultana its pathetic, not so good on ITV and great on BBC ITS THE SIGNAL IN, not the TV

A

Anonymous

I have to also agree with Browelly and JimmyBoy34, i have the same set, watching football on Sky Sports SD is great, very clear, watched hot fuzz last night on Sky SD, with no blurriness, or shadowing, looked great, It must be your set or you have a poor feed going in

A

Anonymous

Thnaks Phil agreed as do the mag who made it a deserved award winner, cant help but think he may have a very faulty set or belongs in the rose tinted spectacle forum. even on the dire eurosport (probably the lowest quality signal)- football is watchable. Also when the cameras are HD but on a SD signal the cricket looks amazing. A good set will show up source issues like a good hi fi will show up a bad recording or poor mastering.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jimmyboy34"]CRT was good and still is but the thing is its bloody heavy, bulky, unfashionable and in my opinion not as good as HD[/quote]

This is all very well, but heavy,bulky,unfashionable have nothing to do with picture quality. My issue is with moving pictures on SD. And I think it is worse than CRT. I do not want to pay extra for HD, what I want is for the manufactuers to offer me something as good as what I have a the momenet. I think my signal is OK. I am watching either through SKY SD or the TVs digital tuner. When watching things in the studio, like the news, the picture is very good. It is moving pictures that I have an issue with. Watching a face running, is like looking at the douhboy

It is no good saying that when we have a better signal all will be fine. If that is the case, they should supply me with a CRT TV until the signal is good enough. It is bit like inventing a fantastic new car and then saying "but we don't have the fuel for it yet." I already pay sky £456 a year to watch football, the least the manufacturers can do when I am paying £800 for a tv is to make it as good as what I had before.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
"Very Annoyed" - I see you haven't yet mellowed since you joined!

I'm just interested to know what you would like us to do about your problem? As you've said, the manufacturers don't sell CRTs any more, but none of us here are manufacturers I'm afraid (or at least in positions whereby we could make those decisions). A few people have advised trying to buy a decent secondhand CRT off Ebay - have you tried this?

Other than that, I'm afraid consistently pointing out the same view that you don't like the picture on your HD set to a group of people that do isn't going to get you anywhere (except perhaps "Very Annoyed"!). Don't get me wrong - you absolutely have the right to express your opinion, it just seems to me you're expressing it again and again and again on these forums, rather than actually taking any action to solve your problem and then perhaps reporting back to those that agree with you whether it was successful or fruitless, maybe then asking for more suggestions if it was fruitless.

Just seems to be a bit more proactive maybe and might help your stress levels!

A

Anonymous

Hi VeryAnnoyed

I believe it must be your set, i have exactly the model, watching football or fast paced action films on sky SD or through built in freeview the picture is always superb, no blurriness or shaddowing.

i would contact you retailer and get them to take it back, it don't sound right to me

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]

"Very Annoyed" - I see you haven't yet mellowed since you joined!

I'm just interested to know what you would like us to do about your problem? As you've said, the manufacturers don't sell CRTs any more, but none of us here are manufacturers I'm afraid (or at least in positions whereby we could make those decisions). A few people have advised trying to buy a decent secondhand CRT off Ebay - have you tried this?

Other than that, I'm afraid consistently pointing out the same view that you don't like the picture on your HD set to a group of people that do isn't going to get you anywhere (except perhaps "Very Annoyed"!). Don't get me wrong - you absolutely have the right to express your opinion, it just seems to me you're expressing it again and again and again on these forums, rather than actually taking any action to solve your problem and then perhaps reporting back to those that agree with you whether it was successful or fruitless, maybe then asking for more suggestions if it was fruitless.

Just seems to be a bit more proactive maybe and might help your stress levels!

[/quote]

I don't really disagree with anything you have said there.

However, people are saying that it MUST be a faulty set, or a poor signal. I don't agree, and I am not the only one who thinks that moving pictures are a problem on these modern TV's. I don't want to pay extra for HD, and so I probably will look at the second hand CRT route for a short period of 2-3 years. (Only about £50.) By then, hopefully things will have improved. (both TV's and signal)

But as it is irritating people who don't seem to have any problems with their picture or can't see the problems with there picture, I won't comment on this subject any more.

A

Anonymous

Yawn.....doesnt like plasma! jeez ....just the name makes me jump...look the ole CRT is quaint but not nearly as sexy as the plasma, big is definately better and if you arent wiling to pay for HD then yes you should stick to the old technology....if you want to buy my old 28" for 50 quid you are more than welcome....piece of old junk in my mind. Anyone trying to convince themselves that the old way is better probably doesnt agree with DVD or with post 11 TV broadcasting...

I cant wait until i decide which 50 ".......50! I will buy.....wait until 2010.?..you have to be joking.....who knows who is going to be alive in the next decade...and I aint waiting around to find out...bring on the plasma is what I say.....

A

Anonymous

Very Annoyed

I think we are all gettng "Very Annoyed" with this thread now, you keep re-iterating on about CRT's, if your not happy with your tv, do something about it take it back get an old CRT, if thats what you want.

A

Anonymous

i dont even think the tired forum article stands up on picture quality, i have been home with my folkes to a excellent sony and Panny crt and well i think your either disalutioned. blind or both, as good as the quality is why does all my family members say wow when watching footy on my plasma and i say can we watch this at my house on the old CRT. I respect your opinion but its in the minority and seems a bit confrontational. If you think its better sell your Plasma and stick to your CRT but dont tell people tha the Plama from Panny is a bad set because to the majority its an award winning great set across the board on HD and SD. Foorball doesnt suffer from motion issues and neither does hd at 24fps, so to a lot of people with space/budget concerns its the perfect set i dont think you should be cloudind that judgement based on your controlversial opinions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts