Plasma Glare

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Please can anyone advise. Just bought a panasonic viera plasma 42" for the conservatory for gaming. Problem is I cant watch the TV because of the glare. It makes gaming impossible. Ive bought window blinds ( still no good ) Ive even installed ceiling blackout blinds, all with little effect on the glare. Any advise would be helpful but cant justify spending yet another £80 + on plastic screen coverage. Many thanks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problem, but I wouldn't have thought that glare is specific to plasmas, as opposed to LCDs or LEDs ..... More importantly, various people have had problems with Image Retention when using a plasma set for gaming. I myself don't game at all so I can't give any direct experience. Nor do I (a first-floor resident of a block of flats) have any knowledge of conservatory reflected lighting issues!

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
No one on this forum would advise you to buy a plasma for your conservatory, sorry to hear about your problem but the only advice is to black out your conservatory, watch the tv a night when it's dark or buy a LED tv.

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Guys

Im really kicking myself now as I was in two minds to go for an LCD it was the advisor who stated Plasma was better for gaming and would be fine in a conservatory. That really made my mind up. Grrrrrrrrr

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, the salesperson really shouldn't have recommended a plasma for those circumstances, as an LCD/LED set will almost always be preferable where you have strong direct sunlight flooding a room.

How long ago dod you buy it, and where from?

It could be worth a conversation with them to see if they'll exchance it for an LCD/LED set of similar value.

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Bought from Currys about 5 weeks ago it was on demo so got it for a good price. Dont think much chance of a swap but probably worth a try. Thinking I might try to rearrange the room so it does not face the doors !!!! Just means I will have to move and re wire the surround left and right speakers.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
alpne1 said:
Im really kicking myself now as I was in two minds to go for an LCD it was the advisor who stated Plasma was better for gaming and would be fine in a conservatory.

mr malarky said:
To be honest, the salesperson really shouldn't have recommended a plasma for those circumstances, as an LCD/LED set will almost always be preferable where you have strong direct sunlight flooding a room.

How long ago dod you buy it, and where from?

It could be worth a conversation with them to see if they'll exchance it for an LCD/LED set of similar value.

alpne1 said:
Bought from Currys about 5 weeks ago it was on demo so got it for a good price. Dont think much chance of a swap but probably worth a try.

Hmmm, Currys giving duff technical advice. Why am I not surprised?

Unfortunately, as it's now more than four weeks you may not get a refund or swap, but try. Explain that you were ill-advised, by Currys themselves, to buy a plasma set for a bright environment, when that's against their own advice, see the last bullet point below about brightly lit rooms. I took the photograph in Currys on 30th April 2012, when I was having my own dispute with Currys.

Image018_1223_kB_30-Apr-2012_14h41_zpsf65f8275.jpg

div>

alpne1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, went into Currys last night, needless to say I cant take back or exchange the TV even though the adviser stated it would be ok in a conservatory. Of course they would never give that advise !!!!!!!!!

Moved the room around last night so it was probably 20% better in the new position. I guess ill have to bite the bullet and wait for the nights to draw in ha ha.

Thanks Guys

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
These might be of use. I use them occassionally in the summer if I want to get a good film atmosphere during the day.

Without doubt, black binliners and sellotape are much cheaper, but this is a bit more of an elegant solution and much quicker to fit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts