Planar 3 matched with Goldring

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The Rainier cartridge is an American fixture so not sure why the spacer is required unless it is some form of isolation that is offered by some companies as an aftermarket option.
Note that the VTA quoted for the cartridge is what it's at when the fitted to the tonearm and that tonearm cartridge combo are parallel to the record surface.
Should the physical depth of the cartridge be different the height of the tonearm will still needed to be adjusted to attain that recommended VTA with the new cartridge.... if that makes sense....
Hopefully that new turntable will continue your enjoyment of the format for years to come

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. I adjusted the VTA for the E3. It was different from the Rainier. Got it adjusted as best a possible using a metric ruler. Not an easy adjustment on this turntable but it is adjustable. Now to listen to some more music this evening.

Will Azimuth change with adjustments to VTA? Seems like big changes in VTA would have an affect.

Last edited:
Thanks. I adjusted the VTA for the E3. It was different from the Rainier. Got it adjusted as best a possible using a metric ruler. Not an easy adjustment on this turntable but it is adjustable. Now to listen to some more music this evening.

Will Azimuth change with adjustments to VTA? Seems like big changes in VTA would have an affect.
No it shouldn't , get it close to manufacturers recommendations then you can find tune by ear. Don't get too hung up about cit as, unless it's wildly out, what you hear isn't going to change much.
Just enjoy.

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
So, first night of listening yesterday. Blown away with the Pro-Ject X1 paired with the E3 cartridge and Rega MK3 amp. To say this table is an upgrade over my entry level music hall 1.3 is a huge understatement. I can now hear the full range of the E3 . Previously on the music hall 1.3 it was overly bright, sometimes even shrill with mid and highs. Now mellow and warm, very instrumental with the right amount of bass. Sounds super good at volume. Also no turntable hum at volume with the Pro-Ject.

thank you to all for the advice with this and previous thread on the E3. Great group here. Will definitely stay active.

Reactions: Al ears

StratDoc

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
I fear looking for that "perfect" sound is an elusive and expensive journey. I now want to upgrade and experiment with other parts of my set-up.:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts