Planar 2, one question.....two questions!

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
After careful consideration I`m going for the Rega Planar 2. I would like to change the cartridge to an Audio Technica VM95SH.
Question 1) Will this work with the Rega?
Question 2) What is the difference between the AT VM95SH and the AT VM95SH/H?
In Finland the SH is €199 and the SH/H €229. I have tried to read up on it but have become stuck!
Please in simple English!
Amp is the Cambridge Audio Azur 651A with the 651C CD player. Speakers B&W606S2 Anniversary Editon. And I love it.
I have around 500 LP`s, the first ones from the early 70`s. All like new. Till now played on a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference with Ortofon VMS 20E MkII with the fluid arm.
Many thanks

The /H model comes with a headshell, but it won’t fit on your Rega, only on a standard arm like a Technics SL-1200 for example.

The cartridge is a fine product, at the top of a very well reviewed range. I’ve not heard one, but your Rega has enough adjustment to accommodate it. I’d expect it to be much brighter than your mellow VMS20e, which I did once own.

Why buy a new turntable then change the cartridge
Buy a turntable with a better cartridge fitted as standard
SH has a shibata line contact stylus tonearm needs azimuth & VTA adjustment for best results standard on virtually all turntables project/technics etc but not on a rega

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)
Sort of agree but not sure why you think you cannot adjust VTA on a Rega because you could on my old Planar 3

Last edited:

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I did consider the Project Debut Carbon Evo. It was that or the Rega. The reason in the end, (both excellent I believe!) but the Rega will suit my surroundings a bit better. That`s why I sold my Transcriptors. I had it 45 years but in our new place it kind of didn`t fit somehow. Thanks anyway. I don`t know what VTA is?

Innergroove

Jun 8, 2021
Visit site
Why buy a new turntable then change the cartridge
Buy a turntable with a better cartridge fitted as standard
SH has a shibata line contact stylus tonearm needs azimuth & VTA adjustment for best results standard on virtually all turntables project/technics etc but not on a rega

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo review | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)
Simply not the case. Quite the opposite, the VM95SH will shine in any Rega Planar deck, it's not a deep bodied cartridge and doesn't need any VTA adjustment in a Rega. The arm will be parallel with the platter once fitted, and will bring the best out of this cart.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts