Planar 2. Antiskate or not?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Sorry to ask, but I bought my new Rega Planar 2 two days ago with the carbon cartridge, the Audio Technica VM95SH is on order and the shop will change it (after four weeks). I have read that after Autumn 2020 the Planar 2 will have adjustable antiskate? How do I know if mine is the new version? The seller didn`t seem to know when I asked. Maybe it`s not important. There is nothing in the manual. Works really well with the Carbon cartridge. A friend of mine assures me I will notice a bug difference! Not sure if the pictures help?
I feel a bit silly asking but even on the Rega site there was no place for questions! Many thanks.

Attachments

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Yes I did that. I am just interested if I have the new model with ant skate? Or do you mean that is the new model? Thank you. You were quick!

Shadowfax

Mar 20, 2021
Also, and not to make light of your question, if you bought it new from a reputable dealer two days ago, then you have the current one. These tables sell like hotcakes and the idea of somehow a brand new one that predates two years doesn't fit the scenario. As a former Rega dealer in the U.S. I am very confident of this.

Still think you have been ripped off by the dealer if they are going to change that cartridge because I bet they charged you for the carbon.
gone are the days you could specify a cartridge of your choice and didn't have to pay for substandard pre fitted ones.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Thank you again. Looks like I have the new model. No, the dealer is very good. We are in Finland, very honest people. He knocked the price of the carbon off the price, but says I can use it till the new one arrives.

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
I’m obviously out of touch with the Rega hierarchy, as I thought only the RP1 had no bias adjustment. With my generic RB202 arm I find it actually needs nearer half the normal setting, so 1 on the antiskate is plenty with a 2 gram tracking weight.
I am sure your dealer will do it properly!

I’m obviously out of touch with the Rega hierarchy, as I thought only the RP1 had no bias adjustment. With my generic RB202 arm I find it actually needs nearer half the normal setting, so 1 on the antiskate is plenty with a 2 gram tracking weight.
I am sure your dealer will do it properly!
you are indeed correct. My old Planar 3 with RB300 arm was better at a lower setting on the anti skate as well. It's an easy adjustment to tweak yourself.

Innergroove

Jun 8, 2021
Enjoy your new VM95SH cartridge it should be a big improvement over the Carbon. I use one in my Planar 3 and it sounds excellent, and a clear upgrade on the 95ML. Audio-Technica recommend 2g tracking force for this cartridge, but I track mine at 1.8g and to my ears it simply sounds more alive and musical. Same with the anti-skating, I've used Rega turntables for over 30 years and sometimes feel this adjustment can be a bit too strong. Don't be afraid to ease back a little. As ever let your ears decide.

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
This is specially to Innergroove!!! I thought this thread was finished but I was delighted to read your two comments yesterday on this and my other thread. You have filled me with confidence and I really look forward to the arrival of the new cartridge. Many thanks

Reactions: Innergroove

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts