Placebo Effect

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

AKL:Perhaps there is also the "testosterone" effect - a lot of posters here are men and sometimes, their instincts to win or conquer come across in their posts. This is of course a sexist generalisation, and probably unwarranted as there are plenty of gentlemen and ladies on this forum.

Very true! Probably been guilty of this myself, but I hate reading tit for tat posts!

A

Anonymous

AKL:jaxwired: trevor79:We have some friends who when the come round for Dinner always bring a cheap bottle of wine with them. They insist it is a waste of money spending more than a fiver. It didn't stop them rushing down a bottle of £15, drunk in record time. When we started specially buying in £5 for these occasions it lasts a real long time! Is that a placebo effect?

Trevor, you seem like a nice guy, but I really don't see your point. Are you saying that if more expensive wine is worth the money, so are mains cables? Hard to see the connection... Or are you saying that because no placebo effect exists for good wine, it does not exist for any other product?

I think we can all agree that placebo effect does exist and it does color our perception on occassion.

I agree the placebo effect exists everywhere and in everything one does, the mind is a powerful thing, not quite always "mind-over- matter powerful" but nonetheless a force to be reckoned with.

Trevor can answer your point himself but I understand what he is referring to - the "tight wallet" effect. For example, one doesn't buy expensive wine saying it is a waste of money, but then gulps down someone else's Chateau Lafite with gusto.

There is another commonly seen effect - the "sour grapes" effect. For example, one criticises others (quite vehemently sometimes) as blind/deaf "snake oil"-infused idiots because they are fortunate enough to spend some decent money on hi fi accessories like cables, mains block which may only give marginal benefits in terms of the cost vs benefit ratio. But hey it is their money and they can do damn well anything they like with it.

Then there is also the "Clapham Omnibus" effect. For example, one disputes/criticises something unless that something can be objectively proved by scientific measurements, conveniently ignoring the fact that like finger-prints, individual listeners are all uniquely differently in his or her ability to see, taste, hear, touch and smell.

Perhaps there is also the "testosterone" effect - a lot of posters here are men and sometimes, their instincts to win or conquer come across in their posts. This is of course a sexist generalisation, and probably unwarranted as there are plenty of gentlemen and ladies on this forum.

This post....I love

A

Anonymous

idc:
One of the following paintings is by Cy Twombly, the American modern artist and is worth hundreds of thousands. One is by a small child and is worth lots to their parent, but nothing in the art world. One is by an elephant and is worth about £200.

p156241_2.jpg
OhneTitel.jpg
268606908_eeHNX-M.jpg

You reactions will be one of, or a combination of, they are all rubbish, wow, whats the point, I would like them on my wall, I would buy them, I would not buy them, I would get pleasure out of them, I would not get pleasure out of them, I like the one on the end but not the other two etc etc.

To someone in the art world, they will have no trouble recognising which is which and putting widely different values on each painting. For them each is significantly different. It is the same case with cables. Some greatly value and see the difference, others do not, your mood has an effect, the setting has an effect. Indeed there are so many variables and subjectivity is such a large part of what we see in art and hear with our music, does science, specifically measurement have any meaningful part to play?

The one on the right is the kids picture, as I can see the flash.
The one in the middle the piece of "art" since its on grey paper and most people only have access to white.
Which means the one on the left is the middle ground done by an elephant.

Another great post by the way :)

A

Anonymous

Regarding the placebo effect I fully expect my Linn Kans to sound beautiful, with a tight bass, extensive soundstage and sweet treble as the commentator shouts that Liverpool have just stuck a third goal in Chelsea's net.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Catcher:Regarding the placebo effect I fully expect my Linn Kans to sound beautiful, with a tight bass, extensive soundstage and sweet treble as the commentator shouts that Liverpool have just stuck a third goal in Chelsea's net.

C'mon the scouse!

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Catcher:Regarding the placebo effect I fully expect my Linn Kans to sound beautiful, with a tight bass, extensive soundstage and sweet treble as the commentator shouts that Liverpool have just stuck a third goal in Chelsea's net.

C'mon the scouse!

Speakers sounded sweet when that second goal went in. I recommend people watch Liverpool FC on their AV set ups for an instant and affordable upgrade.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Wow! What a game! All credit to Liverpool, you kept us honest throughout the whole game, but I'm just very happy right now!!

ÿ

Honest?

You've got the biggest cheat in the world in Drogba. He's horrible. As is Cashley. Yuk!

ÿ

Good game though, really enjoyed it, except for the result.

ÿ

ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Come on?! The biggest cheat? With Ronaldo in the world?!

Seriously though, standard practice in football these days. I don't agree with it, but probably would have been some Liverpool "injuries" had the situation been reversed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:
Come on?! The biggest cheat? With Ronaldo in the world?!

Seriously though, standard practice in football these days. I don't agree with it, but probably would have been some Liverpool "injuries" had the situation been reversed.

ÿ

I've never seen anyone as big as Drogba act so weak and pathetic every time he plays. He's my least favourite player in the world (since Andreas Moller retired anyway).

ÿ

idc

Catcher:my whole system sounds rubbish and needs replacing

In that case Catcher you need some homeopathic medicine right away. That way you will get the full benefit of the placebo effect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts