pioneer plx 1000

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
just wondered if anyones heard a pioneer plx 1000. ive been trying to find a decent review , the one or two ive seen seem to compare favourably to the technics in terms of weight build features etc, and they certainly look the dogs goolies.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've got one! The Technics is the dogs danglies, the Pioneer is a cheap Hanpin clone of the Technics. However, it sounds pretty damned good to me with an Ortofon 2M Black fitted, and is a very handsome beast.

I have some problems with my PLX1000 - loose tonearm gimbal bearings, (seems a common fault), and flaking paint on the tonearm which I am currently trying to discuss with Pioneer; though at present they have completely ignored the two letters I have sent to their warranty claims dept requesting a replacement turntable *diablo*

Go over to Vinyl Engine under the Pioneer forum and have a read. Some rate it others don't. Personally I quite rate it - it replaced a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Any more Q's just ask.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
wow doug thats some statement...........i mean i love my technics but currently got it for sale on auction site as i need some cash and didnt really want to buy another second hand sl1200/10 so spent yesterday looking for a suitable replacement..........so the pioneer popped up which to me looks dead classy plus also the audiotechnica lp1240 caught my eye too, which got a very good four start rating from whfi and can be had for a bit cheaper too.............i must admit though that the loose arm on the pioneer is a bit of an off put, but thanks for your reply, will look at the vinyl engine................cheers mate............ps if my technics doesnt sell do you think i should keep it then and not bother with the pioneer or audio technica?

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:
wow doug thats some statement...........i mean i love my technics but currently got it for sale on auction site as i need some cash and didnt really want to buy another second hand sl1200/10 so spent yesterday looking for a suitable replacement..........so the pioneer popped up which to me looks dead classy plus also the audiotechnica lp1240 caught my eye too, which got a very good four start rating from whfi and can be had for a bit cheaper too.............i must admit though that the loose arm on the pioneer is a bit of an off put, but thanks for your reply, will look at the vinyl engine................cheers mate............ps if my technics doesnt sell do you think i should keep it then and not bother with the pioneer or audio technica?

The Audio Technica is an even cheaper Hanpin clone than the Pioneer, and it shows. The PLX1000 sure does look classy in the right system. The loose tonearm gimbal bearings seem to be across the entire range of Hanpin produced decks, to a greater or lesser extent, so that would include all the "DJ" type direct-drives coming out of China. Some say that if the Technics were produced today it would be a £2K deck because of the excellent engineering. Parts supply on the Technics will always be better than any of the Chinese decks, I doubt in five years time you'll be able to get parts for any of the Hanpin decks.

I am just one voice out of thousands and I have never owned a Technics so please bear this in mind. Personally I like my Pioneer, (with some caveats), it is a better turntable than the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon it replaced.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i love my technics and will probably either take it off the auction or let it sell so the money will tide me over and get another very good second hand one.........mine was bought new........well i assume it was new as it was al packed up from ebay about 9 years ago for 240 quid..........if you could compare it to a car in nine years its done ten thousand miles, if that........so maybe i wont sell it and stay skint for a while..............i have to agree with you doug, these turntables, whether it be my technics or your pioneer in my opinion outclass the modern turntables on a lot of fronts, its such a shame they are so over looked............ive seen very rare brand new sl1210s go for over 1k and even a new 1200 was 600 ...........iam a very proud owner

D

Deleted member 108165

My advice to you would be to stay skint for a little while *biggrin*. You currently have a deck that was bought brand new so you know it's history, if you were to purchase a used one how certain would you be that it hasn't had a hard life as a DJ's deck? The Technics were a victim of their own robustness hence why the DJ's flocked to them. If and when you get less skint treat yourself to a nice hi-fi cartridge upgrade.

As for these "DJ" direct-drive decks, I personally rate them. Like your Technics my Pioneer has four adjustable feet so regardless of where I put it I can always level it; they also both have adjustable VTA so no matter what cartridge you fit adjusment to accommodate is there; want to fit a different cartridge - simple with the removable headshell; anti-skate is a doddle to set; no need to lift off the platter to adjust the speed - just press a button; they are hefty beautiful beasts. My Pro-Ject had none of the above.

I'd love to get my hands on a new SL1210 for reasonable money *man_in_love*

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
youre right doug i took it off the auction, just couldnt part with it and agin i agree with the dj decks you mention, they have so many facilities and sound good too, keep perfect speed, built like tanks.........as for a new 1210 there is one on the bay.....its brand new about 800 quid but he will accept an offer.......wish i had the money for it

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:
as for a new 1210 there is one on the bay.....its brand new about 800 quid but he will accept an offer.......wish i had the money for it

Ooh, tempting *smile* but just dropped the cash on a Nagaoka MP300 so that counts me out for the rest of this years spend on me turntable, alas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts