Pioneer, Naim, Musical Fidelity: Which 1 is best 4 Streaming, CD, Radio, Sound ? Budget £2500

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thinking of finally upgrading my main Hi-fi after years of use and age, and would like to make right decison before diving inn (due to cost)- also a bit lost with all the hi-tech jargon. I have a budget of £2500 max and have narrowed it down to the system units listed below. I do like the looks and do seem to provide me with the functions I require: Cd, Nas/HDD streaming, Internet/Dab/Fm radio and with enough kick for a meduim sized room.

Listen to mainly electronic music such as Dub-Techno, Deep/Tech/Techno- House, Ambient, Techno, Electro, Analogue Techno and a follower of Fax (Pete Namlook) and Rather Interesting (Atom Tm) labels with its varied mainly instrumental style of electronic music including digital, analogue, experimental, ambient, atmospheric soundscapes, obvious and subtle textures, techno-house-electro and everything inbetween...etc! Because of this I'm esp looking for something that can bring the best out of my cd collection and I want to stream them in high quality too.

If any recommendatios for below or any info regarding the below(reviews are hard to come by at moment!), or any other H-fi's I should also look into or consider will be musch appreciated.

Pioneer

N-50 (Streamer) http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/201/18420/N-50-S/index.html

A-30 (70w Amp) http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/98/405/A-30-S/index.html

PD-30 (Super Audio CD) http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/42/225/225/PD-30-S/index.html

Naim

NaimUniti 2 (all in one 70w Amp, CD player, Radio, Streamer) http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/naimuniti

Musical Fidelity

M1CLIC Univerasl Music Controller (Streaming and Radio) http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1clic/

M1CDT (CD Transport) http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1cdt/

M1DAC (Amp) http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1dac/

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When looking at Streamers, you should probably include Linn, either as a source (DS), or as an all-in-one (DSM).

IMO The absence of a CDP shouldn't be a problem, as once you've ripped it to your NAS, it's easier to access and sounds better.

Here is a thread that might be of interest: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/all-in-one-or-separates-0

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
With your choice of bangin' tunes, I'd be going for the Naim, then getting PMC GB1i when funds allow. Can the N-50 even do gapless playback?

Anyway, the Naim has the history, s/w upgrades etc. and you're not diluting your money across 3 cases, 3 PSU, 3 remotes etc.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The DSM looks good, but does not have a CD player and I belive Linn do not make them now. I suppose I can add a seperate CD player to the Linn Majik DSM and still fall within my budget. Do you know if the Linn DSM can stream gapless music ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It be nice for a all in one and simplicty which I like about the Naim - I hope it can do gapless music as a lot of my cds are contnoues music that are split across tracks though is actually one long track. I forgot to mention this and is important for streaming.

I not sure about the N-50 - its does a lot for its price, but the review mentioned in What-Hi fi did not mention anything about it!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
satycool said:
The DSM looks good, but does not have a CD player and I belive Linn do not make them now. I suppose I can add a seperate CD player to the Linn Majik DSM and still fall within my budget. Do you know if the Linn DSM can stream gapless music ?

Yes, it does gapless.

The need for a CDP is something that you think will be important, until you have all your music ripped.....then you will likely find that you will ever use it......and Linn stopped making CDPs because their cheapest DS (Sneaky) sounded better than their much more expensive players......I've heard this for myself.

Linn vs Naim will come down to personal preference over the presentation.....as both are very competent. This can only be decided by listening for yourself, as everyones' taste is different.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
If any recommendatios for below or any info regarding the below(reviews are hard to come by at moment!), or any other H-fi's I should also look into or consider will be musch appreciated.

As an idea

CA StreamMagic 6

Dynaudio BM6A , or AVI ADM9T if you sold all of your kit (including speakers, you could stretch to Event Opals or PMC TB2S-AII (a bit more expensive)

Your current CD player/laptop or Pc would be fine for CD, DVD replay, or you could consider a multi format player like one of the oppos or second hand Denon unit.

A suitable NAS to rip the music to.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
CD is important to me as sometimes I borwse my collection the artwork, the format, label, info brings me to listen to music that otherwise I don't bother with as with music on HDD and Ipod. Also the quick slip n' play curiostity of cds or a quick selective play is another thing I enjoy with cds and the occasional mixing. I still prefer the format for a variety of reasons too - I see them as art themselves esp with rare music. Like the idea of having a choice of both streaming and cds - both have there moments when needed.

I think I should be able to attach a seperate cd player to DSM.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
satycool said:
CD is important to me as sometimes I borwse my collection the artwork, the format, label, info brings me to listen to music that otherwise I don't bother with as with music on HDD and Ipod. Also the quick slip n' play curiostity of cds or a quick selective play is another thing I enjoy with cds and the occasional mixing. I still prefer the format for a variety of reasons too - I see them as art themselves esp with rare music. Like the idea of having a choice of both streaming and cds - both have there moments when needed.

I think I should be able to attach a seperate cd player to DSM.

Fair enough, but leave the CDP till after a month or two of running a streaming set-up, just in case I'm right......I felt the same as you, as I am old school. I used to enjoy the whole sensuous experience of putting on a record....but.....I haven't put a CD on in a couple of years, as my DS just sounds so much better.

I've found browsing my collection is now easier than ever, and I find that I now play more music that I'd previously forgotten about.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The Cambridge is appealing and I understand its been updated to play gapless cds - a great thing for me. As for speakers! as long as I know I got a system that can produce good sound, esp for the music I like, then I'll put up with the speakers I have now and upgrade later - its just the cost holding me back. I can wait another whole year+ and get everything together - but I really have the desire to update my hi-fi now. Will have to put up with okaish speakers but I can live with that knowing that they are temporay.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Any decent streamer should allow you to browse by artwork, genre or whatever you like on a PC or Android/iOS device.

As CNO says, you may be surprised at how quickly an expensive CDP just gathers dust. I make do with the DVD player for the occasional need to spin a disc but that's probably no more than a couple of times a year.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
To have CD or to not, to be honest this could go either way. I went fully into streaming with a unitiqute and within a couple of weeks I had bought a Rotel CD player so decided to get rid of everything and get a NaimUniti...... :wall:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
To have CD or to not, to be honest this could go either way. I went fully into streaming with a unitiqute and within a couple of weeks I had bought a Rotel CD player so decided to get rid of everything and get a NaimUniti...... :wall:

....and after going round in circles, do you now miss your CDP?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
To be totally fair my wife missed it more than I did, Now the Uniti is in place peace is now restored.

I can relate to that.....Mrs Cno always resists change (especially with Hifi and Cars)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
mitch65 said:
To be totally fair my wife missed it more than I did, Now the Uniti is in place peace is now restored.

I can relate to that.....Mrs Cno always resists change (especially with Hifi and Cars)

I think with SWMBO it's more of a case of she can't wait for me rip it , she must play that new album now!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts