Pioneer Lx87 and cm8, cmc & cm1 (great sound, but got a headache)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sliced Bread

bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:
Sliced Bread said:
I think what I'm after is a combination of the two receivers. The Pioneers way with vocals and steering with the Yamahas balance and way with music.

Maybe try Anthem.

Exactly my thoughts! :)

It's a nice suggestion though the Anthems are more £ that if rather not spend.

If I don't go for wait her of these them I'm really looking at the next price bracket down rather than up.

The Yamaha has the most pleasant and complete sound, but the Pioneer can wow with the vocals, though it was fatiguing.

I guess I just need to make a decision.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. I find that "fatiguing" is the worst trait a system can have.

If you do end up going back to the Pioneer, consider S/Cs that are not silver coated (eg. Linn K20 [ebay], QED 79 strand, Van Damme), to avoid adding to the glassiness of the sound you are getting.

Sliced Bread

CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I find that "fatiguing" is the worst trait a system can have.

If you do end up going back to the Pioneer, consider S/Cs that are not silver coated (eg. Linn K20 [ebay], QED 79 strand, Van Damme), to avoid adding to the glassiness of the sound you are getting.

Thanks Cno, that's good advice

abacus

A thought, are you trying to use the same settings for films and music, as if so it won’t work as they need to be set up differently. (Hence the various memory positions available on the higher end receivers)

Try using just the front speakers (No Subwoofer) for stereo music, as adding effects with other speakers can make things worse.

Forget cables as they do not make one iota bit of difference. (A touch of the EQ will give a much greater difference in sound than anything that has been noted by those that say cables make a difference)

NOTE: if you are not using all the 9 channels of the receiver then think about bi-amping the front speakers, as this will also make a difference.

Apart from the above most of the reviews of the CM8 do say they are a pain to match with amplification, so it will probably take some time to get it just right.

Hope this helps

Bill

Sliced Bread

Thanks Abacus

I noticed in the settings that you can also bi-amp the centre and surrounds if your only using 5.1 though the manual doesn't say which terminals to use. Have you tried this, or is it just for use with power amps?

Sliced Bread

So I swapped back for the lx87 and I'm really enjoying it this time.

It somehow sounds different this time around, like maybe it was Mis-wired or I previously had a faulty unit.

Very odd. Maybe it is just psychological.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:

It somehow sounds different this time around, like maybe it was Mis-wired or I previously had a faulty unit.

That's hifi for you. :beer:

michael hoy

Sliced Bread said:

Glad you are liking it the second time around.

Keep tweaking it and you will be well rewarded.

Good suggestion about using the different memory options, that is why I posted the little guide for you earlier so you can swap between settings.

Sliced Bread

michael hoy said:
Sliced Bread said:

Glad you are liking it the second time around.

Keep tweaking it and you will be well rewarded.

Good suggestion about using the different memory options, that is why I posted the little guide for you earlier so you can swap between settings.

Yes thanks, that is a good approach with this receiver.

I've setup a few already and gradually tweaking the eq on a duplicate memory preset. If it's an improvement I delete the original, if not I delete the copy...and so on.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think its important to.point out. With the eq in mccac if.you.aqually knew how little difference it actually makes in.the overall grander scheme in terms of the overall freq response and what you.hear you would leave alone

Also blind alterations will do more harm than good best to leave alone and focus elsrwhere.

A basic parametric system such as mccac cant cure what.you think.is.a.problem the freq are too scattered and too few.

Best turn eq off and focus on fundamentals. I am a man who has tried to.tweak mccac for months only.to.realise.- best to.turn it off

Sliced Bread

ellisdj said:
I think its important to.point out. With the eq in mccac if.you.aqually knew how little difference it actually makes in.the overall grander scheme in terms of the overall freq response and what you.hear you would leave alone

Also blind alterations will do more harm than good best to leave alone and focus elsrwhere.

A basic parametric system such as mccac cant cure what.you think.is.a.problem the freq are too scattered and too few.

Best turn eq off and focus on fundamentals. I am a man who has tried to.tweak mccac for months only.to.realise.- best to.turn it off

At the moment I'm adjusting by half db increments on two bands at a time so keeping the changes subtle.

I have I the past always preferred eq off. This is the first receiver I'm actually using it on, though it's the first receiver I've owned that I think has a worth while eq system.

I'll try the eq off too in some other presents and adjust other areas of the system too :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts