Pioneer LX55 with Kef R series, too bright??

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering whether the Pioneer LX55 AV amp would be too bright to go with the Kef R series speakers as reviews say the Pioneer can be a little bright and the Kef speakers from what I have read can be a little bright?

Would you be better with say a Yamaha amp instead?

michael hoy

I am not sure about the LX55, but my previous LX72 and my current LX85 were and are not bright sounding.

I believe the older models a few years ago had this reputation, this however is not the case these days.

scoobysteve said:
Just wondering whether the Pioneer LX55 AV amp would be too bright to go with the Kef R series speakers as reviews say the Pioneer can be a little bright and the Kef speakers from what I have read can be a little bright?

Hi scoobysteve

Based on what i've heard so far then i wouldn't pair the R Series to the LX55. I feel Yamaha's Aventage RX-A1010 or the RX-A2010 with (amongst their other qualities) full bodied, rich and dynamic sound will be far better suited to the KEF's overall presentation.

Btw, which R Series models are you considering please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of the R300 with R600c up front then rears and sub when I can afford it, at a much later date ha ha,

Really love the look of the Pioneer amp but reading reviews about it being a little bright and the Kef R series being a little bright concerned me!

Just wondered if anyone has heard the two together?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We stock both the Yamaha and the Pioneer as well the R series. I would suggest that the 85/3010 is the level you want to get to with these speakers. As with all KEF speakers they will happily work with electronics at most levels but you will get far more out of them if you use higher quality amplification.

The LX85 is a superb amp and drives the KEF's with a good solid sound. It also has the added benefit that you can bi-amp the centre as well as the fronts and that extra juice is great with the KEFs. The 3010 is a cracking amp as well and although I would normally pair the Yamaha sound with the Q-series it does work well with the R-Series.

If you can organise a demonstration that will help you picjk which one is best for you. If you have to buy blind I would opt for the Pioneer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
scoobysteve said:

No, the Pioneer won't be too bright for the R series, although "brightness" is a subjective thing. If you would like a smoother sound, the Yamaha will provide this.

The Pioneer has an X-Curve facility, which allows you to reduce HF by up to 3dB in 0.5dB steps, to compensate for rooms that reflect HF energy. Although, MCACC will normally take care of this so it'll be something you'll probably never need to use.

I would also recommend the Onkyo 3009, which has by far the best room EQ of those already mentioned.

I was thinking of the R300 with R600c up front then rears and sub when I can afford it, at a much later date ha ha,

Really love the look of the Pioneer amp but reading reviews about it being a little bright and the Kef R series being a little bright concerned me!

Just wondered if anyone has heard the two together?
The Pioneer, I would say, is more 'forward' than 'bright'. It's digital amplification has a tighter grip on the speakers than most Class A/B amplification, and many people tend to hear a tighter sound as a brighter sound as it lacks the unnatural warmth created by amplification that's less accurate.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
She fell in love with the look of the R series so its going to have to be them.

Just was'nt 100% on how much I will need to spend on the amp and which one really.

It's a big jump from the LX55 to the LX85 and Yamaha and Onkyo equivilent.

Are they all pretty similar at streaming music aswell?

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Just was'nt 100% on how much I will need to spend on the amp and which one really.

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

scoobysteve

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It's got to be the R series has she loves the look of them!

Would you have to go to the likes of the LX85 price range or would the LX55 be enough?

Am I right in thinking the Pioneer amps are better with music aswell for the likes of streaming?

A

Anonymous

Hey there,

I'm also considering the Kef R series, and in my search came across this post. Very helpful!

For the amp, I was thinking of the Yamaha 3010, LX-85 or Onkyo 3009 (lots of power (160w) to drive the speakers)

Nick, you wouldn't recommend the Yamaha 3010. Would you recommend the Onkyo? Does that pair well with the KEFs? Or still go with Pioneer?

As for the Pioneer, it has a single crossover, right? I might not be able to replace all surround speakers at once, so there might be a mixture of KEF R series (front/center) and 3005 (rear). Would there be a big impact on quality in that case?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts