Pioneer LX5090 buzz coming from set

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Just taken delivery of a Pioneer LX5090 plasma TV and in general I am really happy with it. However, I am getting a buzzing sound from the set which is very noticeable when the sound goes quiet. Not sure if this is a 'feature' and therefore just have to put up with it or is there something I can do about it? would love to hear from anyone experiencing the same problem.

thanks.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, they do that.....Some worse than others. Have a search on here (currently not working - I'm getting runtime errors, again) for Pioneer buzz and posts from Damien Buckley...

Many users had Pioneer change their sets, to varying degrees of success, although I've always wondered how much of a placebo effect was happening....I'm not sure how much of a support option now exists with Pioneer and the closure of the Kuro range...?

Unfortunately, like the Sony 'clouding' issue, the trait wasn't picked up in the reviews here on either the 500A nor the 5090 - both class/award leading products...

Workaround ? - Turn your speakers up ! Yes, I know......ÿ

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SC: Workaround ? - Turn your speakers up ! Yes, I know......

Well, if you actually read the other posts on the subject you can reduce it by setting powersave modes on or adjusting the contrast and brightness down from the shop floor levels (which you should be doing anyway, especially on a new set!), which should help reduce the buzzing a bit.

A

Anonymous

Well, I actually did read - hence the reference to the OP...

If you had actually read, you would know there are downsides to the powersave modes also...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SC:
Unfortunately, they do that.....Some worse than others. Have a search on here (currently not working - I'm getting runtime errors, again) for Pioneer buzz and posts from Damien Buckley...

Many users had Pioneer change their sets, to varying degrees of success, although I've always wondered how much of a placebo effect was happening....I'm not sure how much of a support option now exists with Pioneer and the closure of the Kuro range...?

Unfortunately, like the Sony 'clouding' issue, the trait wasn't picked up in the reviews here on either the 500A nor the 5090 - both class/award leading products...

Workaround ? - Turn your speakers up ! Yes, I know......ÿ

This isn't just Pioneers. My Sony LCD has a buzz to it. I'm used to it now.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
99% of modern TVs Buzz to some degree or another it is just that on some sets it is more audioble than others and generally speaking slightly more so with Plasma over LCD.

The buzzing normally gets more noticble when the screen is displaying say a picture with more bright aereas over dark ones but from my personal experience this effect can be reduced consideribly by correctly calibrating your TV.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Both drive modes and power-safe setting affect the powersupply noise, the latter more so. As mentioned by SC I would'nt use any power reduction features as they have other undesirable effects. You should get used to it.

A

Anonymous

went home last night to see if the buzz was as bad as I thought and I am absolutely gutted as I spent most of my time listening out for it and was constantly hearing it over the sound of the broadcast.

Can't believe that this hasn't been mentioned in any review I have seen. Out of all the AV components I have been looking at I thought the Pioneer LX5090 was the only given and must admit that had I know about the 'buzz' would have looked at alternatives.

The next time I am in John Lewis I am going to pop over to the Pioneer plasma on display to see if it is as bad as mine.

Thanks for all your posts.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
kahoona7:

went home last night to see if the buzz was as bad as I thought and I am absolutely gutted as I spent most of my time listening out for it and was constantly hearing it over the sound of the broadcast.

Can't believe that this hasn't been mentioned in any review I have seen. Out of all the AV components I have been looking at I thought the Pioneer LX5090 was the only given and must admit that had I know about the 'buzz' would have looked at alternatives.

The next time I am in John Lewis I am going to pop over to the Pioneer plasma on display to see if it is as bad as mine.

Not a peep from mine. Do you have Pioneer speakers with it? I didn't bother with TV speakers as everything goes through my amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
kahoona7:

Try and relax. You should'nt notice it in a few months. It's similar to phosphor trailing, some see it (I did), others don't. Having lived with the Kuro for a while it never bothered me again.

The tv does other things very well and changing it for another one probably won't make a difference. If everything else is fine with it I'd recommend not to. Every one I've seen/heard buzzed, even KRP's and it is mentioned in the manual. It's not a fault just a characteristic of this tv. The sound is highly directive, just changing your seating position slightly can change the intensity, lessen it.

Persevere for a while and perhaps make the shop aware that you are unhappy just in case. I'm pretty sure the buzzing won't bother you soon.

A

Anonymous

I think that is a plan......

let the shop know I have concerns with the unit but in the mean time have a play with the settings to see if I can reduce the buzz.

Find it a little frustrating that some people don't seem to have any buzz (although I am pleased for them!).

A

Anonymous

Yeah, there are a few complaining about it. Fortunately, I can't hear anything, even up close.

I would think the majority don't have this buz, It's only the faulty ones you read of. So see if you can get it replaced.

A

Anonymous

Hello, try using drive mode 2, instead of the powersave modes, its in the options menu.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
piobob:
Yeah, there are a few complaining about it. Fortunately, I can't hear anything, even up close.

I would think the majority don't have this buz, It's only the faulty ones you read of. So see if you can get it replaced.

I'm sorry to disagree, they all buzz. Whether you hear it depends on number of factors. It definitively is not a fault and as I pointed out is also mentioned in the manual.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
kahoona7:thanks will try drivemode2 tonight.

Although it will reduce the 'buzzing' I would'nt recommend using it. Brightness levels will be to low whilst Peak contrast levels will be to high. By further reducing contrast to counteract this you'll end up with a dull picture. I recommend you investigate owner forums but they can confuse matters more if you're not careful. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:I'm sorry to disagree, they all buzz. Whether you hear it depends on number of factors. It definitively is not a fault and as I pointed out is also mentioned in the manual.

Ok, sorry
emotion-40.gif
. If I put my left or right ear hard up against the top rear of my 5090, I can hear a VERY faint buzz, which is something that you will probably hear on many a gadget, alarm clock etc, etc.

I don't doubt there is a fault with some 9 series, but mine is fine and so are many others who frequent forums.

My hearing is excellent by the way.
emotion-1.gif

Mr Gaz

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree happily owned a pio 434 for 4years now onto Krp500a they both buzz.

Initially annoying as you tend to listen for it , I hardly notice it now, as you say not a recognised fault by manufacturer picture is the best .shame to see them go.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
kahoona7:thanks will try drivemode2 tonight.

Although it will reduce the 'buzzing' I would'nt recommend using it. Brightness levels will be to low whilst Peak contrast levels will be to high. By further reducing contrast to counteract this you'll end up with a dull picture. I recommend you investigate owner forums but they can confuse matters more if you're not careful. Good luck.

Hello, sorry but i think you maybe confusing drivemodes with power modes. The drive modes do not have any negative effect on picture quality, but i agree with you that powersave modes do. Drive mode 2 is for veiwing at 100hz, and as far as i am aware the others are not. For veiwing SD(freeview) it made a huge difference to the buzzing, It now does not exist, and the buzzing that it does produce is perfectly acceptable for a tv of this size. Try it, you might like it, page 2 in the options menu.

A

Anonymous

The buzz is not a fault. Pioneers have a small buzz since my 1st ever Pioneer which was the 6th generation model, and my latest 9th Model is the same. Correct using power save and different drive modes sorts out the buzzin noise - but it never completely goes away. Its how the plasma works. If you are hearing it from your watching position, then try the different settings and see what happens then. I can only hear my TV buzz when I walk paast it, from my listening position dead silent.

A

Anonymous

Just to let you know. I finally got my Pioneer LX-5090 the other day. It looks amazing. I was a bit concerned before I got it about the "plasma buzz". But mine's as quiet as a mouse. Sky HD box makes more noise than the TV !

A

Anonymous

Does this also affect the LX-6090 - I'm worried now as mine's on order!

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure it'll be fine. My Sky HD box makes far more noise than my 5090. I LOVE my 5090 - it's simply stunning, wouldn't swap it for anything.

A

Anonymous

These sets do buzz and it won't go away with time. Regardless of what people say about the power save modes, try mode 2. Yes it will dull the picture a bit but the frequency and level of the buzz will reduce enough for you to be able to enjoy your programmes.

You owe it to yourself to try mode 2. Don't be put off by other peoples comments - see if you can live with the differences.

I use mode 2 as the buzzing would drive me mad. The picture is still fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts