Pioneer BluRay Questions

dirtydawg1967

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I’m doing my research on a BluRay player having just taken delivery of my rather splendid Panasonic TH-42PZ85B.

Looking at the WHF reviews of the Pioneer BDP-LX71 and BPD-51FD, one of the criticisms of both machines is that there is no onboard DTS-Master Audio HD decoding. I don’t fully understand the consequence of this if I were to purchase either of these players and attempt to play a BluRay disc that uses DTS-Master Audio HD. Can this be resolved by a future upgrade of the firmware?

The Pioneer website states they have DTS-Master Audio HD but ‘bitstream output only’. I’ve no idea what that means either.

Please can someone enlighten me?

Many thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you have an AV amp or receiver? If not it won't make the slightest bit of difference, if you have then, provided the amp/receiver can decode DTS-Master Audio HD then that should be fine, you don't need the player to do it.

It's possible a future firmware upgrade could provide this functionality but I don't know if anything's been stated for certain by Pioneer.

gregch

Nov 9, 2004
Visit site
dirtydawg1967:HiI'm doing my research on a BluRay player having just taken delivery of my rather splendid Panasonic TH-42PZ85B.Looking at the WHF reviews of the Pioneer BDP-LX71 and BPD-51FD, one of the criticisms of both machines is that there is no onboard DTS-Master Audio HD decoding. I don't fully understand the consequence of this if I were to purchase either of these players and attempt to play a BluRay disc that uses DTS-Master Audio HD. Can this be resolved by a future upgrade of the firmware? The Pioneer website states they have DTS-Master Audio HD but 'bitstream output only'. I've no idea what that means either.Please can someone enlighten me?Many thanks

ÿ

As I understand it, bistream output means the player can't currently decode DTS MA but will pass it through HDMI to your AV amp to decode, if you have an amp that can do that. I believe a firmware update will shortly permit the player itself to do the decoding onboard.

If your equipment can't decode DTS MA, I believe the player will convert the disc's DTS MA track to a regular DTS one.

I'm actually using a Sony DAV-IS10 as my surround amp, the LX71 is connected to it via digital coaxial, so I can't make use of DTS-MA or DD HD soundtracks - these are converted by the LX71 to regular DTS and DD. I have to say though that soundtracks output from the LX71 are noticably clearer, more open and dynamic than I was used to with regular DTS and DD tracks from DVDs - perhaps because they are uncompressed?

Hope that helps.ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
gregch:I have to say though that soundtracks output from the LX71 are noticably clearer, more open and dynamic than I was used to with regular DTS and DD tracks from DVDs - perhaps because they are uncompressed?

This is because the bitrates for Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks are higher on Blu-Rays than they are on DVDs.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jase fox if you do go for the pioneer player, save some money and go for the FD-51 it is based on the LX-71 but with out a couple of extras, PQ is the same as the 71 and both are reviewed in the mag and on this very site, the 51 can be had for around £325 if you shop around, the firmware upgrade is due march time, as i understand. as stated earlier if you have an Amp that decodes HD sound formats this will not be an issue, so you can buy with confidence, and save some dosh to buy some Blu-rays. Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

if you are considering the 71 then i woudl also recommend you have a look at the denon 2500. if you can get one that is relatively trouble free then you will be a happy bunny for the same sort of cash.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:This is because the bitrates for Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks are higher on Blu-Rays than they are on DVDs.

.........And hopefully the bitrates of the current HD audio will be higher on future format discs to come. Just a thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts