Pioneer BDP-LX70A OR PS3 Future Proof

fitzyboy2000

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys This has probably been covered before, but here goes. Im going to buy a Blueray player but want to be future proof for upgrades such as 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 and so on still dont fully understand these... I really like the sound of the Pioneer BDP-LX70A although very pricey, is it possible to upgrade software when needs be on this machine, or does the £450 price jump give me much more of an advantage over the PS3, for picture quality and so on.. Hope I put this over OK.. Cheers..

A

Anonymous

Okay, I have the Pioneer BDP-LX70A player, and absolutely loved it until the other day I tried to play a copy of 28 Weeks Later. I was confronted by the on screen message "Cannot play this disc!". I still don't know if this is due to it being a 1.0 player or whatever. However, a quick visit to the Pioneer website and I had downloaded and burnt some new firmware to a CD, put it in the player, and 20 minutes later the problem was solved. I haven't been faced with a troublesome disc again yet.

Now I don't know, and perhaps someone could tell me, if this changed the whole profile thingy of my player? But if it is possible to update this via firmware, the BDP-LX70A IS upgradable.

:)

Steve.

A

Anonymous

My guess would be that 28 days later features the stupid BD+ copy protection which 20th Century Fox insisted on putting on their later discs (once the original BD copy protection was cracked). It was completely fruitless of course, as BD+ has since been cracked too - and BD+ causes some compatability issues with some players. Thankfully firmware upgrades seem to have sorted them by and large - which I am pretty sure is all your firmware update did for you. The LX70 is certainly still only Profile 1.0 at present, and I wouldn't count on it being firmware upgradeable to Profile 1.1 or 2.0 - in fact it is probably quite unlikely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts