Pioneer BDP-450

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi all...

Just thought I would report on my purchase of the Pioneer BDP-450

I bought this model for all the connections I wanted to be able to use.

Picture and sound it's fantastic, looks good, solidly built and has stacks of connections etc.

Unfortunately, completely let down by the software that operates it and the remote control. I have been so close to sticking a hammer through it lately, it is just so infuriating.... Every command you give it takes forever to actually activate if at all and the remote seems unable to operate unless 3 feet away and pointing in a straight line right at it and feels like a VCR remote from the 80's.

Typical example is pausing during a movie to go and get a drink, I come back sit down and press the play button a few times, then count to 5 breath, lean forwards and point the control straight at the box... the first acknowledged receipt of the command just takes the machine out of screensaver mode and is still paused, then press it again and it eventually starts to play again after a seemingly short recess to decide if you actually meant the command...

Jeez, such an infuriating peice of equipment!!! Overall 2 stars if it's lucky or lives that long.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
m0n5t3r said:
Hi all...

Just thought I would report on my purchase of the Pioneer BDP-450

I bought this model for all the connections I wanted to be able to use.

Picture and sound it's fantastic, looks good, solidly built and has stacks of connections etc.

Unfortunately, completely let down by the software that operates it and the remote control. I have been so close to sticking a hammer through it lately, it is just so infuriating.... Every command you give it takes forever to actually activate if at all and the remote seems unable to operate unless 3 feet away and pointing in a straight line right at it and feels like a VCR remote from the 80's.

Typical example is pausing during a movie to go and get a drink, I come back sit down and press the play button a few times, then count to 5 breath, lean forwards and point the control straight at the box... the first acknowledged receipt of the command just takes the machine out of screensaver mode and is still paused, then press it again and it eventually starts to play again after a seemingly short recess to decide if you actually meant the command...

Jeez, such an infuriating peice of equipment!!! Overall 2 stars if it's lucky or lives that long.

have tried updating the firmware because this could be a reason why it's running so sluggish?

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, updated the firmware and it did improve the performance of the box but unfortunately the main problem is with the rubbish remote.

Why do manufacturers put so many buttons on the remote, this one must have nearly 100 (no joke) and i have maybe at a push used 10. The control is huge and unoperable without a light on as you can't tell which are the main buttons cos they are all the same shape & size etc. Plus the play - pause - ff - rw - skip buttons are in the middle of another bunch of unfathomable buttons that seem to do nothing!

m0n5t3r said:

20150623_193814_zps8cyzm6ow.jpg

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Never experienced any 'user' issues with the 450 I dem'd. Do agree though, fabulous picture.

Currently on our Panny watching Juassic Park 1 on Blu-ray. Staggering. Can't believe the Pioneer would do it any injustice.

Yea, shame i'm so utterly annoyed by the time I get to actually watch anything it ruins the experience! They're not alone though, what is it with hi-fi/home cinema product manufacturers and remotes "remove 50 buttons, make the remote smaller, make the buttons that people use bigger" hardly rocket science!

My Rotel amp remote is the same, it is the size of a housebrick, has 50 buttons and I only ever use volume up & down... At least those are positioned intelligently for use in the dark!

abacus

Presuming you have it networked, (Most players take longer to load Blu-Rays if not connected to the net) have a Wi Fi router and smartphone/tablet, you can download the Pioneer app (Available for iOS & Android) which gives just the buttons you need on the main screen, and cursor control on the second screen. (You can also see it in the dark and operate the player anywhere there you have a Wifi connection in the building)

Hope this helps

Bill

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
My remote on my Denon 3313 is rubish. I control all my kit with my harmony touch which also has its Ian issues but it's far better than the pile of remotes and clunky buttons...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts