Pioneer A400 Amp, old but still good?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have an old Pioneer A400 Amplifier. I was thinking of selling it but looking on Ebay they're going for peanuts, so i'm wondering wether it's worth keeping it.

When the A400 came out in the mid 90's it was seen as a real masterpiece of an amp. Getting countless awards and going down as a sort of legendary amp. So it's quality wass all there.

However, does amp technology move on? I mean, this amp is 15 or so years old now, but could it still be put alongside a <£1000 amp from today and still sound as good? If the answer is yes, the i'll keep it!

It sounds fine to me through my Mission 702's, but it's a bit of a bulky setup and i'd be a bit miffed if some tyke with an ipod dock is getting a better quality experience!

So, do i sell for less the £50 or keep?

A

Anonymous

From what I have read it seems as though it is still a good amp by todays standards and can compete with modern £500 amps...

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/page/hifichoice?entry=hi_fi_that_rocked_the

A

Anonymous

Cheers for finding that article. It's actually made me quite proud of my A400
smiley-laughing.gif

Definatly keeping it then, and perhaps i'll make a little shrine for it!

A

Anonymous

Truffle said:
Cheers for finding that article. It's actually made me quite proud of my A400
smiley-laughing.gif

Definatly keeping it then, and perhaps i'll make a little shrine for it!

You're most welcome. It's quite an interesting article and has now got me searching for a Thorens TD124...

A

Anonymous

That's a good stuff!

A Pioneer A-400 as original outperforms most 500 pounds but the chance of getting one in mint condition is low taking into account it's an early 90's model. If you get one of those, you'll need to have at least reservour and signal path capacitors' replaced.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Audio Maniac said:
but the chance of getting one in mint condition is low taking into account it's an early 90's model.

There are loads of mint ones about, not sure where the £50 price comes from either they currently sell between £120 - £150.

Audio Maniac said:
If you get one of those, you'll need to have at least reservour and signal path capacitors' replaced.
Why ? I have serviced loads of these and have never found a duff cap, you don't want to believe everything you read on the web about changing capacitors after so many years its rubbish. I have radio's from the 40's and 50's, Hi-Fi amps from the 70's which still have there original electrolytics fitted, no bulging, ESR and value still measure good so why change them.

A

Anonymous

Eggontoast,

Are you an audio equipment repairing techinician?

Last year I sold a 1992's Sansui AU-α707KX amp in mint condition (almost like new). So, I agree on the existence of vintages amps in a really good condition. However, that's an exception not the rule as twenty years or more of use is lot of time.

In my case, I used to own 3 hi-fi systems at home, that's the reason why I kept my Sansui in a such mint condition.

Out of order isn't the same as bad functioning. For example, a capacitor may be working but with timing problems (lower ESR).

Anyway, I respect your point of view.

Regards,

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I have an old Pioneer A400 Amplifier. I was thinking of selling it but looking on Ebay they're going for peanuts, so i'm wondering wether it's worth keeping it.

When the A400 came out in the mid 90's it was seen as a real masterpiece of an amp. Getting countless awards and going down as a sort of legendary amp. So it's quality wass all there.

However, does amp technology move on? I mean, this amp is 15 or so years old now, but could it still be put alongside a <£1000 amp from today and still sound as good? If the answer is yes, the i'll keep it!

It sounds fine to me through my Mission 702's, but it's a bit of a bulky setup and i'd be a bit miffed if some tyke with an ipod dock is getting a better quality experience!

So, do i sell for less the £50 or keep?
Still got mine powering missions and also have the newer stuff, tbh it's better than most amps up to 500-600 £ and if cared for doesn't need renewed anything, if it's not brocken don't fix it,

Attachments

• 16958407343325864315931566849504.jpg
    16958407343325864315931566849504.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 3

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Anyway I'm in a right quandary I need a new amp for q acoustics 3050i and am currently looking at the acram sa20 but know nothing of newer kit any help would be nice from you chaps, it needs to be 100watts and have Bluetooth otherwise I'm open to superior knowledge, I'm only versed in older kit hence my love of my first ever amp the a400 which at 40 I still use sporadically with mission mx3s, I'm upgrading my main hifi which is a q acoustics and a Yamaha amp which isn't up to the task, I've gotten myself a system deck 900 for the odd record and stayed with Marantz for my cd needs, I was using a wharfdale SW 150 woofer but the 3050i do not need it or can it be heard making a difference, it does go well with the missions, I have good things to say about that little woofer, I'm new to this site and not sure on how to navigate it so please forgive the placing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts