Picture perfect speakers

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My current system is as follows
Receiver: Harman Kardon avr 660-High current amp quoting 75x7 watts but it sounds better than those quoting double the wattage.
Fronts: Wahrfedale Evo2-30
Centre: Wharfedale evo centre
Rears: Wharfedale evo2-8

I can get a lot more on this amp with better speakers though I can confidently say the current speakers are not doing badly. I want to know from you out there what you think about the following speakers vs my current ones:

B&W 683 vs 684, is there a day and night difference between the two? Monitor Audio Rx6 vs Rx8, KEF Q900 vs Q700, Energy RC 70 . Of the speakers listed above which one would be an all rounder. The fronts will be paired with their respective centres and Ill use in ceiling for rears. Can in-ceiling match bookshels as rears?

Your opinion will be appreciated.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Both of those B&W speakers come with a big bass, and the 683 even more than the 684. But both are nice allrounders.

The MA speakers are more neutral sounding imo, and the RX8 delivers more bass than the RX6. It depends what you like most.

The Kef Qs. I don't really like their sound: overblown, uncontrolled bass, a sharp edge to the high frequencies. But they have a HUGE soundstage. Which could be nice in a homecinema setup.

For me, the allrounders would be the 684, RX6 and RX8 (if you partner the RX8 with an amp that has a softer bass)

All those speakers have a very different character so it's hard to say which you would like most. I find the B&Ws warm, the MAs neutral and the Kefs sharp/bright, but that's just my opinion.

The Wharfedale Evo's were nice speakers, but all those you mentioned are better. You might want to check out the Jade series.

About the in-ceiling speakers, I can't help you. I've never heard those.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The Harman Kardon avr660 has very deep bass so much that i always set it at about 30%. Do you think that the RX8 wont be a good partner as a result

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
A lot depends on how you can set the speakers up in your room. You don't want speakers with a bass port on the rear standing close to the rear wall.

Does your amp have a "pure direct" switch?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts