best upgrade path for non hdmi av amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone please advise me if iam missing out a great deal by using an old av amp. My system comprises harman kardon av8500, sky hd ,sony bdps760, pioneer pdp507xd, proac hexa centre and rears, proac studio 150 fronts and rel stadium sub. I hope eventually to install a projector into my system but my room is very light but i hope to address this issue at a later date. I have tried using odd matching phono leads i had lying around from sony bluray to av amp but sound was rubbish. My next step was to purchase 3 pair of Chord crimson interconnects but was not sure if this would only benefit bluray and not sky hd. Would i be better off putting this money towards Hdmi av amp, and what advantages are there. My system is in a large room ,seats 3m from fronts and 3m from rears but is very hollow sounding due to lack of soft furnishing and tiled floors and vaulted ceiling above rear speakers also lounge and kitchen T off this room through open arches,we sometimes wish for more volume from rears. Any advise on these issues would be greatly appreciated and if advised to go for new amp any suggestions to greatly improve on current amp. Many thanks.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
You obviously have a problem with room accoustics, so it is very difficult to say if different equipment would make a difference. I have been in houses with the same problem as you and to be quite honest the sound is dreadful. You certainly need some sort of dampening, but what to suggest is impossible without seeing and hearing the effect.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your advise,but i feel i might have painted too black a picture regarding my setup. When i tried using a pair of Qed,Chord and Ixos phono leads from bluray-av amp i was not supprised the sound was not as good as from my previous dvd player using coax, Using coax again from bluray-av amp achieved much better results. Overall my system fed with good source of bluray or for example Incredible Hulk on thx can still stand the hairs up on the back of your neck, but i still crave for that extra mile. How far would i have to go to possibly drive these speakers well on a budget up to £1.5K. If this is not possible i will just have to be content with what i have. Suggestions welcome , many thanks.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I have wooden floors etc......so i'm afraid I have my system in a different room, which is square, and has carpet. I found it very hard o get decent sound in such a bare room.....would spending lotsof money make a difference? maybe the what hi fi team can tell you?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick for your advise, any experts views would be greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS