Picked up a Quad 909 on ebay for a fair price, wonder how this is going to turn out for me....

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Kind of going against some advice and buying blind has not done me well before (685's!) but picked this power amp up fairly cheaply, lets see how it will go with using my Leema Pulse mkII as the pre....regret :oops: or fit and forget :dance: will let you guys know...

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Hope so Electro, the reviews seem to state it has the type of sound I'm looking for, hoping the quick paced sound of the leema meshes well, and I next want to upgrade my speakers to some Focus 160's so wanted to get a bit more juice, I guess I will find out when it arrives (waiting for new purchases is the worst!!!)

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks David I am so fearful of buying something I find overly bright, as I found the Dyn's too bright with my old AV amp but prob didn't have the power to control them properly, I guess we will find out soon, hopefully wont be too hard to move onwards if I don't like it.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
se a 909 and love it, I was lucky in that I bought one just before they were replaced and got a great deal on a brand new one, I often see 2nd hand ones go for more now.

It is a great amp, I find it pretty neutral, it doesn’t really draw attention to it’s self and just handles everything very well. I’d agree it is quite smooth but not overly so like many Arcam amps for example. I’ve never really pushed it and can’t wait to get some better speakers for it to drive.

I’ve used a few different ‘pre-amps’, the first couple we makeshift; a old Denon 3805 AV amp pre-outted and in ‘pure direct’ mode, it actually did an admirable job but of course wasn’t ideal. I then tried a DAC with volume pot (Beresford Caiman), it served a function but that was about it, completely flat and lifeless sound, very underwhelming and not something I’d could live with long term.

Finally I tried a valve based pre amp and this is how I have it now in a Croft Micro 25, after an initial issue with excessive gain (which the dealer modded for me) I am now delighted with the sound. It has so much drive and just feels very textured. It is a very organic sound, I’d say ‘lush’ and almost analogue sounding. The 909 is often cited as being midrange proud, this is true but adding the pre had a profound effect in bass, it is thunderous now. What I’m getting at is don’t underestimate how much impact the pre your pair it with makes. The 909 is a solid and versatile performer, it has bags of power and partnered well it will serve you admirably.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Tracking info seems to hint its here! Hey Australia is a big country! So I assume tomorrow night I will be getting my first taste...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts