Question Phono stage or not?

Trebor1708

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I have a systemdek turntable, harman kardon 6250 amp and tannoy 609 speakers. Would a phono stage improve the sound quality and would it just connect straight into the amp Thanks

Hi, I have a systemdek turntable, harman kardon 6250 amp and tannoy 609 speakers. Would a phono stage improve the sound quality and would it just connect straight into the amp Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
Can I ask what cartridge you have fitted to your turntable.
Reason I am asking as the amp has a reasonable phono stage built in so you would need to spend a good amount on an external phono stage to better it.
If you do get one then yes, it will attach to any of the line inputs on the amplifier (CD, Tuner etc)
You might get more sound improvement by upgrading your cartridge.
Nice turntable by the way.

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
Ex Harman Kardon 330c receiver owner here...my mate had a Systemdek, really nice turntable indeed!
WRT phono stages I think you need to try one out if at all possible. I had a 'vintage' amp reputed to have a fine phono stage (Creek 4140s2), but inserted a cheap and not particularly well regarded MM phono stage (Cambridge 551) and was amazed how much better it sounded in terms of noise floor and detail resolution.

Trebor1708

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Can I ask what cartridge you have fitted to your turntable.
Reason I am asking as the amp has a reasonable phono stage built in so you would need to spend a good amount on an external phono stage to better it.
If you do get one then yes, it will attach to any of the line inputs on the amplifier (CD, Tuner etc)
You might get more sound improvement by upgrading your cartridge.
Nice turntable by the way.
Thanks for your reply, the cartridge is a goldring 1012gx, I was only looking to spend £200-£250 on a phono stage possibly the rega fono mk 3 but only if it would make an improvement to sound quality.

Trebor1708

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
Ex Harman Kardon 330c receiver owner here...my mate had a Systemdek, really nice turntable indeed!
WRT phono stages I think you need to try one out if at all possible. I had a 'vintage' amp reputed to have a fine phono stage (Creek 4140s2), but inserted a cheap and not particularly well regarded MM phono stage (Cambridge 551) and was amazed how much better it sounded in terms of noise floor and detail resolution.
Thanks, I was only looking to spend a couple of hundred quid to see if it made a marked improvement. the rega fono mk3 has a good review at £200

Not sure of the tonearm, it came with the turntable but the cartridge is a goldring 1012gx
Excellent choice, phono stage it is then.........
The ifi audio Zen phono preamp would be a very good option

Last edited:

daytona600

Project have produced almost 2million phono stages & have a huge range S2 @ £200 ideal
fully discrete cdesign with no off the shelf $2 op-amps in the circuit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts