Phono stage for Clearaudio Concept

zarathustra38

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Please recommend me a decent phono stage for Clearaudio Concept. I don't own the table yet but would like plan in advance. I have tried a Rega Rp1 directly through my Brio R and wasn't impressed. The sound lacked clarity and highs. Percussion and bass sounded OK. I am expecting an external phono stage to be a lot better. Graham Slee's Communicator gets good reviews and would fit the bill. Is it good enough for Concept? Given the cost of the amp, going higher than, say, 200-300 GBP for a phono stage would not be very sensible, I gather.

I can see your line of reasoning but personally I would forget about an external phono amp for the moment.

You do not say which cartridge was fitted to the RP1 but you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'lack of clarity and highs' was down to this rather than the phono stage in the Brio (which is actually very good).

Unless you are thinking of fitting a low-output moving coil type cartridge then forget external phono stage.

Wait until you get the Concept and have a listen to that through the Brio's phono stage, if it still lacks something then simply spend your money on a better cartridge. :)

A

Anonymous

Alears said:
I can see your line of reasoning but personally I would forget about an external phono amp for the moment.

You do not say which cartridge was fitted to the RP1 but you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'lack of clarity and highs' was down to this rather than the phono stage in the Brio (which is actually very good).

Unless you are thinking of fitting a low-output moving coil type cartridge then forget external phono stage.

Wait until you get the Concept and have a listen to that through the Brio's phono stage, if it still lacks something then simply spend your money on a better cartridge. :)

+1

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I posted on here several months ago asking advice about an external phono stage to better the built in one in my Roksan Kandy LIII. Several forum members advised me that I'd be hard pushed to better the Kandy. However, curiosity got the better of me and I joined the Graham Slee forum and after lurking there for a while I arranged a two week home of one of his phono stages. I was so impressed I bought one. I reckon that to date it's the best bit of kit I've bought. Admittedly the one I bought cost me almost as much as the Kandy did when I bought it second had.

If in doubt, join up and borrow the Communicator and one of the more expensive ones and see what you think. There's nothing to lose.

zarathustra38

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all around! The Rega RP1 was fitted with the performance back so I guess it had their entry-level cartridge on it.. I suspected at the time that it wasn't very well setup either but didn't dare to tweak it myself (I borrowed it). Anyway, in order to consider going to back to vinyl, I thought, it would have to sound much better to justify the expence and commiment. I am sure the Concept would sound better through Brio R on its own but since there is so much commotion about phono stages, I will need to check few of them out to see if I am missing out on anything. Thanks again!

ifor said:
I posted on here several months ago asking advice about an external phono stage to better the built in one in my Roksan Kandy LIII. Several forum members advised me that I'd be hard pushed to better the Kandy. However, curiosity got the better of me and I joined the Graham Slee forum and after lurking there for a while I arranged a two week home of one of his phono stages. I was so impressed I bought one. I reckon that to date it's the best bit of kit I've bought. Admittedly the one I bought cost me almost as much as the Kandy did when I bought it second had.

If in doubt, join up and borrow the Communicator and one of the more expensive ones and see what you think. There's nothing to lose.

One of those people was me that said you'd be hard pushed, which still holds true. Didn't realise you were prepared to spend nearly as much as the kandy itself. No doubt I could improve on my phono stage if I spent £1000 plus. Don't honestly think the OP would want to spend £500-£600 just on a outboard phono amp.

zarathustra38 said:
Thanks all around! The Rega RP1 was fitted with the performance back so I guess it had their entry-level cartridge on it.. I suspected at the time that it wasn't very well setup either but didn't dare to tweak it myself (I borrowed it). Anyway, in order to consider going to back to vinyl, I thought, it would have to sound much better to justify the expence and commiment. I am sure the Concept would sound better through Brio R on its own but since there is so much commotion about phono stages, I will need to check few of them out to see if I am missing out on anything. Thanks again!

Agree with some of the others. Get the ClearAdudio turntable first and see how it sounds on the Brio-R built-in jobbie.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ifor said:

One of those people was me that said you'd be hard pushed, which still holds true. Didn't realise you were prepared to spend nearly as much as the kandy itself. No doubt I could improve on my phono stage if I spent £1000 plus. Don't honestly think the OP would want to spend £500-£600 just on a outboard phono amp.
No, I don't suppose he would. I was just suggesting he should give it a go and listen to the Communicator.

ifor said:
plastic penguin said:
ifor said:

No, I don't suppose he would. I was just suggesting he should give it a go and listen to the Communicator.

How much does that retail at?

PP for your information the Graham Slee Amp 2 Communicator retails for around 159 quid. Cheap I suppose but how much better it is than the phono stage in the Brio R it is I couldn't say as I've never heard one.

Of course the OP should try it if he wants but I am a firm believer in getting your source sorted first, before you go adding extra boxes to rectify what is obviously a fault (or possible deficiency).

If the cartridge isn't sounding right then its a wrong move to spend out on something that is just amplifying what is coming from that cartridge.

Spend your money on a better cartridge.... simples!

I can only reitterate that it is only worthwhile spending hard-earnt cash on a phono stage if you are looking to connect something that the phono stage in your amp does not already cater for i.e. a low output cartridge. :wall:

Alears said:
PP for your information the Graham Slee Amp 2 Communicator retails for around 159 quid. Cheap I suppose but how much better it is than the phono stage in the Brio R it is I couldn't say as I've never heard one.

Of course the OP should try it if he wants but I am a firm believer in getting your source sorted first, before you go adding extra boxes to rectify what is obviously a fault (or possible deficiency).

If the cartridge isn't sounding right then its a wrong move to spend out on something that is just amplifying what is coming from that cartridge.

Spend your money on a better cartridge.... simples!

I can only reitterate that it is only worthwhile spending hard-earnt cash on a phono stage if you are looking to connect something that the phono stage in your amp does not already cater for i.e. a low output cartridge. :wall:

I agree. I said earlier: "Get the ClearAdudio turntable first and see how it sounds on the Brio-R built-in jobbie."

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Alears said:
I don't disagree about getting the source right first, if it's wrong, but you seem to be implying that all MM phono stages, built in or external, sound the same and that simply isn't true. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

zarathustra38

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I will follow your advice and get the table first and then see, if investing in a high quality external phono stage is something I need or want to do.

ifor said:
Alears said:
I don't disagree about getting the source right first, if it's wrong, but you seem to be implying that all MM phono stages, built in or external, sound the same and that simply isn't true. Apologies if I've misunderstood.

No that's not what I am saying or implying.

What I would like to point out to the OP is, if he intends sticking with a moving magnet type cartridge, then the best place to spend any money on upgrades is on a better cartridge and not a different phono stage. More 'bang for your bucks' see!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts