Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
My current setup is as follows:

Sony TA-FB740R Amplifier

Sonyy CDP-XB930E CD player

Denon TU1800 DAB Tuner

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers

QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire speaker cable

Cambridge Audio Pacific & QED Qunex 1 interconnects.

In the longer term, I may well upgrade the hardware, but before I do
that I'm looking at changing the interconnects. The possibilities I'm
considering are:

Atlas Equator

Chord Crimson

Merlin Mozart

Merlin Bach

I listen almost entirely to rock and blues.

Can anyone offer any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I love the chord crimson, but since you're a rock and blues man, I'd stay away from it as it's a little bass shy in favor of high end detail.

I'd be buying the Merlin Mozart. Top rated and very affordable. Plus a money back guarantee. No brainer (as we like to say)...

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
The why is easy, I reckon your current setup could do justice to a much better cdp.
Suggesting a new cdp could be trickier, nice budget tho.
New stuff isn't my bag so I'll come up with some secondhand options. I'm having a dns problem on my modem at the moment and using my Blackberry for ebay is a nightmare so I shall have a look tomorrow.
If anyone else wants to suggest some new cdp's in budget feel free.

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
andrewknight:The why is easy, I reckon your current setup could do justice to a much better cdp.
Suggesting a new cdp could be trickier, nice budget tho.
New stuff isn't my bag so I'll come up with some secondhand options. I'm having a dns problem on my modem at the moment and using my Blackberry for ebay is a nightmare so I shall have a look tomorrow.
If anyone else wants to suggest some new cdp's in budget feel free.

Thanks for that, Andrewknight; much appreciated. I have been thinking of upgrading the hardware, including the player. Up to now, I was looking at the Marantz CD6003, which I can presently get for £270. But I've noticed today that Richer are offering graded versions of the Cambridge Audio Azur 740C for £399, which is an absolute bl00dy steal! I can probably push to that, so will do some phoning around tomorrow.

Then I can get the other half to buy my some Merlin interconnects for Christmas!

Reactions: Dom

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the idea of the CA 740C. It's got one hell of an upsampling DAC, and I can feed the DAB tuner through it as well.

Roll on 11am tomorrow; opening time at Richer!

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
OK, so Richer didn't have any graded 740Cs at any branch anywhere near me, and £500 for a pristine BNIB one was not within reach. So I've gone with the Marantz CD6003, which my local indie let me have for £269. It's up and running, and already, I'm enjoying it a lot more over the Sony old faithful. Better tonal balance (The Sony was always a bit forward and metallic with its treble), better timing and lots more detail. Plus, it has a non-captive mains lead. Just need to update the Harmony to control it.

I'll give it a while to run in, then use the money left in my budget to add a Merlin Mozart interconnect and a Clear Audio Copperline Alpha mains lead in the New Year.

Thank you Jaxwired and Andrewknight respectively for the guidance.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I would get onto ebay and look for a Chord Power Chord mains cable, over the alpha.

I started with alpha, and it's good, then borrowed a friends Chord superscreen, which was better. It was a more mature sound,but lacked treble detail compared with the alpha.

Bought a Chord power chord off ebay for around £70, and omg......truely amazing sound that makes me smile each time I sit down and listen to a cd.........combines the alpha detail and superscreen maturity, and then some......

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
My current setup is as follows:

Sony TA-FB740R Amplifier

Sonyy CDP-XB930E CD player

Denon TU1800 DAB Tuner

Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers

QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire speaker cable

Cambridge Audio Pacific & QED Qunex 1 interconnects.

In the longer term, I may well upgrade the hardware, but before I do
that I'm looking at changing the interconnects. The possibilities I'm
considering are:

Atlas Equator

Chord Crimson

Merlin Mozart

Merlin Bach

I listen almost entirely to rock and blues.

Can anyone offer any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Hi Jeff just wondering if you could feedback on your amp? As I have one waiting to be unwrapped when I get my new flat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts