Speaker Cable & Interconnect Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Due to a recent upgrade of kit it's had to move around the room a little - result, my silver anniversary xt speaker cable doesn't reach one of the Spendors S5e's (without it being laid across the carpet - and the other half doesn't like that "look"!). Any one have any input on replacements? Heard that Chord's Odyssey could be a good match, but then I saw the diameter of the cable and it just won't fit neatly under the carpet (even though it's against the skirting etc). So I need something kinda flat (like the current one). I see QED got an XT Evolution now...any one heard this/using?

Should I use equal lengths? One of my speakers is within a metre of the amp, the other would require a 6 metre length.

My recent upgrade was to the Cyrus 8SE CD and the Spendors. The player is currently connected to my Cyrus amp with Atlas Equator II. I will be upgrading the amp in the future but will more than likely stay with the Cyrus amps (I like the sound). Can't help but thinking that the current interconnects may be letting the side down slightly? I like the sound from the Equators but note that there is now a "Superior" model with new plugs...is it worth upgrading? Any others I should look at?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

You might find Chord Runour2 is perfect for you - it isnt as thick as a garden hose pipe but is a little bit more expensive than silverscreen. It made possibly the biggest improvement to my system. My local hifi shop DO NOT like the QED silver XT at all even though they sell it. They reckon it is one of the brightest sounding spkr cables they have ever heard!! I think you are meant to have equal lengths.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
psej71:
Due to a recent upgrade of kit it's had to move around the room a little - result, my silver anniversary xt speaker cable doesn't reach one of the Spendors S5e's (without it being laid across the carpet - and the other half doesn't like that "look"!). Any one have any input on replacements? Heard that Chord's Odyssey could be a good match, but then I saw the diameter of the cable and it just won't fit neatly under the carpet (even though it's against the skirting etc). So I need something kinda flat (like the current one). I see QED got an XT Evolution now...any one heard this/using?

Should I use equal lengths? One of my speakers is within a metre of the amp, the other would require a 6 metre length.

My recent upgrade was to the Cyrus 8SE CD and the Spendors. The player is currently connected to my Cyrus amp with Atlas Equator II. I will be upgrading the amp in the future but will more than likely stay with the Cyrus amps (I like the sound). Can't help but thinking that the current interconnects may be letting the side down slightly? I like the sound from the Equators but note that there is now a "Superior" model with new plugs...is it worth upgrading? Any others I should look at?

Cheers

Don't worry about equal lengths. Nordost Flatline MK2 Speaker? Supposed to be decent.

A

Anonymous

hi coops

Thanks for your reply
emotion-21.gif
. Looking at some pics the outer jacket does seem thick compared to the Silver XT but that might be the pics. As you have this cable, could you easily put it under your carpets and it not be noticeable? Has to go against the skirting and around the fire hearth before finally coming up at the speaker (don't want people treading on it - even under the carpet).

looked at the nordost flatline that Gerrardasnails recommended (thanks
emotion-1.gif
)...but price at +£15 per metre is an issue with that one :-(

A

Anonymous

you might just get away with it under the carpet, dependant of the thickness of you pile etc etc.

The accepted wisdom is that it is bad practice to have uneven lengths of spkr cable, whether that is right or not i do not know - an opinion from the WH team would be good?! I know it cost me quite a bit extra because my amp and CDP are next to one speaker with the other speaker on the opposite side of the room, so i have ended up with a coil of cable behind the system. It is hidden so thats ok.

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif
Cheers coops

WH team, can you grace us with your opinion? Due to the placement of my kit, if I had 2 equal lengths of 6m then one would reach the speaker with about 20cm to spare...but the other would be approx 5.5 m too much! Do I really need equal lenghts? If so what do I do with the excess cable? Coil it together out of the way or leave it loose and try to hide as best as I can? Thanks for your input

A

Anonymous

Anyone else care to reply? I just can't get my head around having 5.5m of "spare" cable sitting curled up behind my speaker or amp or both!!!

A

Anonymous

Nordost flatline is a good call. Don't worry about the price - buy it second hand from the normal places online and if you don't like it you can move it on without losing any money.

I would normally recommend equal lengths but its not that important unless say at extremes you have 2m and 8m! If you look at some cable that have impedance matching widgets like Townshend Isolda this allows you to use dramatically unequal lengths.

A

Anonymous

Check out Chord Odyseey 2 Install cable. It drops the outer plastic coat and gives you more flexibility for installation situations like into walls, under floors, etc. The construction doesn't impact performance.

A

Anonymous

crimsondonkey:
Nordost flatline is a good call. Don't worry about the price - buy it second hand from the normal places online and if you don't like it you can move it on without losing any money.

I would normally recommend equal lengths but its not that important unless say at extremes you have 2m and 8m! If you look at some cable that have impedance matching widgets like Townshend Isolda this allows you to use dramatically unequal lengths.

Cheers crimsondonkey - Appreciate your response
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Check out Chord Odyseey 2 Install cable. It drops the outer plastic coat and gives you more flexibility for installation situations like into walls, under floors, etc. The construction doesn't impact performance.

Thanks igglebert. Never thought of install cables...! duh
emotion-42.gif
Thanks for your response......greatly appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts