Phono amp matching with Rega RP10

George680

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello reader,

Just bought myself a really nice Rega RP10 turntable with Aphelion cartridge factory fitted.

Do you have some advice for me om what phono amplifier would be a good match?

Looking forward to haar from you
teeth_smile.png

Regards

Sjors

George680 said:
Hello reader,

Just bought myself a really nice Rega RP10 turntable with Aphelion cartridge factory fitted.

Regards

Sjors

Really?

You spent that much on a turntable and MC cartridge and then have to ask that question?

Apart from not mentioning what other equipment you are going to add this turntable to exactly how may people on this forum do you think have equipment of that level?

Without seeming to be an attack on ignorance I would strongly suggest this should have been asked of the dealer you bought the turntable from as we have no idea as to what you have available to audition wherever you live.

Did you audition the turntable before you purchased it?

Basically more information needed as to your current amplifier and what sort of budget you are looking at might help, and you may very well need it ;-)

Basically try to audition as many phono preamp that can handle low-output moving coil cartridges unless your current amplifier has an inbuilt phono preamp where a simple step-up transformer may be all that is required.

George680

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Before I had a Rega RP8 turntable so did know a bit what to expect. For me that was enough and I’m happy with the RP10. Bought it new for almost half its original price so had to be quick not to miss this occasion *smile*

I’m using it with a Leema Essentials Phono Stage and Leema Tucana 2 Amplifier. It’s a nice combo but the RP10 has more to offer I guess. And I think the Phono Stage is the weakest part so that’s why I’d like to hear some people’s experiences with the Rega RP10 with Aphelion turntable.

Kind regards from The Netherlands,

Sjors

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... the brand new Accession MC from Graham Slee. I’ve not heard it myself, and probably won’t because I’ll not follow the MC route, but some great things have been said and written about it. If you join the Graham Slee forum you would be able to arrange a no obligation home loan to try it for yourself.

Misternuvista

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Hello reader,

teeth_smile.png

Regards

Sjors

For a deck and cartridge combo of this quality you need to look at a reference level phono stage to get the best from it, assuming the rest of your system is capable of resolving the detail and dynamics possible from this source. Systems need to be balanced to a large extent to extract the best from each component

I had an RP10 which I recently upgraded to a P10. Going up from a Rega Aria to the Rega Aura phono stage was a huge upgrade on the RP10 and really showed the deck’s capabilities. The Aura also easily displayed the advances made by the newer deck.

If you use anything much less you will be filtering out the information coming off the deck and cartridge combo.

I sought dealer advice and was considering a few options but my ears and the advice pointed strongly to the Aura. Not only is it a stunning phono stage in its own right, but as you might expect, it was designed to work with the Rega decks and cartridges, so the synergy adds an extra boost.

For a deck and cartridge combo of this quality you need to look at a reference level phono stage to get the best from it, assuming the rest of your system is capable of resolving the detail and dynamics possible from this source. Systems need to be balanced to a large extent to extract the best from each component

I had an RP10 which I recently upgraded to a P10. Going up from a Rega Aria to the Rega Aura phono stage was a huge upgrade on the RP10 and really showed the deck’s capabilities. The Aura also easily displayed the advances made by the newer deck.

If you use anything much less you will be filtering out the information coming off the deck and cartridge combo.

I sought dealer advice and was considering a few options but my ears and the advice pointed strongly to the Aura. Not only is it a stunning phono stage in its own right, but as you might expect, it was designed to work with the Rega decks and cartridges, so the synergy adds an extra boost.
This post is over a year and a half old. Think he might have found something by now.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts