Phillips 21:9 bought.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Bought the 50" version from Home Cinema Centre today. Ex display for 1300.

Wanted one since seeing the original a couple of years ago. And went for the 50" because I preferred the idea of passive 3d to active shutter. Being delivered on Friday as I'm out all week.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Crikey, a sale! Only time I've ever seen them is when they're being continuously discounted in Richer Sounds. Think the cheapest I saw one in there was less than 900 quid in the end (that was the original model I think).

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
You can pick up a new version of the original for about £800. Was not a big seller. I can see why it wouldn't be a lot of people's cup of tea. But I do watch quite a large proportion of films compared to normal TV.

Im not 100% on how I'll be living with it, but as there's nobody to give e input I'm going to have to give it a go and keep fingers crossed.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Crikey, a sale! Only time I've ever seen them is when they're being continuously discounted in Richer Sounds. Think the cheapest I saw one in there was less than 900 quid in the end (that was the original model I think).

This was the first model - the 9955 and 9956 were both exceptionally popular models for us. We were one of the few who had a display model and properly calibrated the picture is superb. The 21:9 format is not for everyone but to my mind it is great.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
You can pick up a new version of the original for about £800. Was not a big seller. I can see why it wouldn't be a lot of people's cup of tea. But I do watch quite a large proportion of films compared to normal TV.

Im not 100% on how I'll be living with it, but as there's nobody to give e input I'm going to have to give it a go and keep fingers crossed.

You will be fine with it - even with Sky etc the picture is good. For movies and 3D it is great.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
The_Lhc said:

This was the first model - the 9955 and 9956 were both exceptionally popular models for us.

At the price is ended up at I might have been interested, if I hadn't just bought a Kuro.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
:clap:

Well done glad you decided to try one. It's all about the Films / sports will look great on a wider screen who cares about TV programs i watch a lot on the laptop doesn't bother me a bit...... Films that's a different story and from my observations most of the decent TV programs are film like anyway. :grin:

Give us an impression when you've got it up and running please i'm interested to know.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had the tv for a couple of days, and thought I'd post some initial findings.

First of all, although its strictly speaking larger than my Samsung 46" it definitely dominates less. If you think a large TV might not be for you this could be a very good compromise. Regards looks, I do prefer my Samsung, but that might be as much me getting used to the very different appearance of the Philips.

Next, watching normal TV. I was a little worried about watching 16:9 tv, with black bars at the side. If you use the Widescreen option it fills the entire screen. There must be some crop/stretching going on, but it's not immediately obvious where. All the channel logos, including footy scores and on tv clocks are exactly where they should be. Also there appears to be no discernible horizontal stretch. This means no compromises in visuals. A review I found also mentioned this as a particularly strong point. This also means any 16:9 films (Avatar atc) look good.

Of course where it really excels is watching a true 2.35 film and I can confirm this looks stunning. I watched Red Riding Hood on saturday and it completely justified why I bought it.

Had a quick fiddle with the 2D to 3D conversion, watching the speedway Grand Prix (quite effective). Will view more of this.

There is definitely some artefact ing (?) going on with fast motion, but I initially had this with the Samsung so will just have to play with the many settings. I have improved it a lot already.

Im pretty happy with the change and will continue paying with the settings.

Of course, I'm already thinking. Should I have gone for the 58" :)

This TV is worthy of consideration. The whole 16:9 worry seems to be a non issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts