Perfect room size and shape for Home Cinema?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Sat here pondering many of lifes questions and the thought occured to me that Home Cinema is always a compromise in one way, shape or form. If you had a blank sheet of paper and were to build an addition to your home to allow your "dream" set up, what shape and dimensions would it be?

I mean is a rectangle ideal? A square, octagon or circle maybe? I read many threads on the various merits of bass traps and speaker placement not being ideal in room corners, would a cornerless room be the perfect scenario?

Just a thought.....

There are many enthusiasts on here from amateur newbies all the way to top industry professionals...what are your thoughts?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I fancy a round room or better a spherical room. All kit and seating suspended from cables. 360deg cinema. Will let you know when my build is complete but not sure where to put the door. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Not a square - oblong will be better.

The ideal room would be more like a cinema shape, where the side walls open out towards the back of the room in order to cut down on parallel sides that will create standing waves.The ceiling can also rise up away from the floor towards the back.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, interesting take on it David, makes sense, almost like a vanishing point scenario with the screen being the point? Let's, for arguements sake, assume a 10ft screen, what sort of angle would you slope the walls and ceiling away at? With the 10ft screen what sort of dimensions would you give your room?

scene

Don't forget the rake of the seats, so having the floor sloping gently upwards is important if you want more than one row of seats.

sloping out walls from screen to rear do help avoid standing wave. If this is not practical, i.e. you need a cuboid room with parallel walls, then the standard recommendations seem to be a "golden cuboid" room. Actually - see here for some good recommendations: cinema room design

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
camdxr said:
Ahh, interesting take on it David, makes sense, almost like a vanishing point scenario with the screen being the point? Let's, for arguements sake, assume a 10ft screen, what sort of angle would you slope the walls and ceiling away at? With the 10ft screen what sort of dimensions would you give your room?

It doesn't really matter as long as they're not parallel.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have a long rectangular shaped room also used as a living room with my home cinema in which seems to work quite well or are you pondering the perfect home cinema room just for home cinema.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Not forgetting the bar! Should be close enough to avoid too much distrubance while viewing.

Draught beer less noisy to pour than opening cans or bottles, or removing corks.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Tbh just generally pondering, many people have had rooms specifically added for just home cinema use and just thought that if I ever were to go this route and space and finances allowed then why not build the "perfect" room instead of the normal box. Obviously there would be no need for a bar in my fantasy as nubile virgins would bring me refreshment at the push of a button :beer: :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts