PC + Wireless Speaker solution for home audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A bit of a novice in this area but….I want to ditch my CD collection and CD player and play all my music through the desktop PC (from mp3 format).
I want to have a set of speakers in four different rooms of the house (8 speakers in total). So am not looking for surround sound, just left and right speaker setup in 4 different rooms. Still yet to purchase the PC (looking at Dell XPS range which has an “Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio” sound card) and need to by the speakers/transmitter/subwolfer? etc required to have the wireless setup. I know wireless speakers won't produce the best sound, but because of my home design, wires throughout the house would not be practical (though would be happy to have wired speakers in the room that the PC sits in though if it’s possible with the rest being wireless) I am not looking for "the best" sound here, obviously content with mp3 quality so just want something to play some songs around the house through all speakers at the same time (or only some speakers if desired). Anyone know a reasonably priced wireless speaker setup (with multiple sets of speakers) that could handle this task? Do I need a certain sound card or does a transmitter/amp just plug into the audio output jack of the PC? Appreciate any advice on a product(s) that could handle this task. Trying not to spend too much either! Open to all suggestions, thank you.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]How much is too much?[/quote]

yes very good question! I guess I am prepared to spend what it costs, but if it's going to be over $300 then I may have to rethink things. I really don't know what this sort of thing would cost - I am not looking for top of the range speakers etc.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ih77"]
A bit of a novice in this area but..I want to ditch my CD collection and CD player and play all my music through the desktop PC (from mp3 format).
I want to have a set of speakers in four different rooms of the house (8 speakers in total). So am not looking for surround sound, just left and right speaker setup in 4 different rooms. Still yet to purchase the PC (looking at Dell XPS range which has an "Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio" sound card) and need to by the speakers/transmitter/subwolfer? etc required to have the wireless setup. I know wireless speakers won't produce the best sound, but because of my home design, wires throughout the house would not be practical (though would be happy to have wired speakers in the room that the PC sits in though if it's possible with the rest being wireless) I am not looking for "the best" sound here, obviously content with mp3 quality so just want something to play some songs around the house through all speakers at the same time (or only some speakers if desired). Anyone know a reasonably priced wireless speaker setup (with multiple sets of speakers) that could handle this task? Do I need a certain sound card or does a transmitter/amp just plug into the audio output jack of the PC? Appreciate any advice on a product(s) that could handle this task. Trying not to spend too much either! Open to all suggestions, thank you.

[/quote]

You need to up your budget by a factor of 5 to 10 and buy a Sonos system, or aim a little lower...
And is that US dollars? and where are you based?

A

Anonymous

An Apple Airport Express is a handy gadget and could be used to some effect.

You could feed it to a DAC and speakers in the main room, but just cheap powered computer speakers with a headphone socket in others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts