PC Vintage set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just started a vintage hi-fi setup for my PC..and er, ehem...I'm quite impressed so far! I'm using my old 1984 JVC A-X400 with some newish JVC speakers (soon to upgrade) going from my PC and IPOD (uncompressed 80GB). What speakers would be the same size as the JVCs (below pic) but FAR FAR better and vintage? They need to handle roughly 30watts (even though the amp is 70wpc into 8ohms). I would go for the LS3/5a, but they are a bit too expensive and I'm not sure whether they could go loud enough. Any suggestions? Oh, and does anybody know of a nice vintage amplifier to replace my rather "retro" A-X400?

2659174726_dd08253030.jpg

T

the record spot

The BBC monitors would be well overspecced in that set-up I think and probably deserving of better source gear IMO. That aside, how's about JPW Minim's, the original Wharfedale Diamonds (if you can get 'em) and if you're struggling to find those and might compromise on the "vintage", you could get a pair of Gale's or Eltax speakers from Richer Sounds just now.

I'm sure you could shop around and get some speakers, just keep an eye out that they're in good condition. Long live vintage!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Long live vintage!

Amen to that!

the record spot:The BBC monitors would be well overspecced in that set-up I think and probably deserving of better source gear IMO. That aside, how's about JPW Minim's, the original Wharfedale Diamonds (if you can get 'em).

I'm VERY suprised with the quality of the I-POD...I can really hold it's own against the Arcam CD73T I have especially as far as the sound-stage is concerned.

The JPWs are a good shout and the Diamonds went right over my head! Cheers!

A

Anonymous

All my CDs at the touch of a button - and its quality is superb for such a little device. The Ipod is a superb item as far as I'm concerned! And I can take all my music with me anywhere! They are great in my eyes, and shouldn't be overlooked for a budget hi-fi source.

T

the record spot

I won't knock them either to be fair; massive hard drive in the Classic that will take a hefty set of lossless files. Can't argue with that, but there is of course the proviso that in order to get the files onto the player, you need a PC or laptop, conversion software, whether that's iTunes, EAC, or whatever and you can download, but these are often in non-lossless format.

Linn offer master quality downloads, a big plus IMO, but the iPod is as much about convenience for the majority of its' users than it is about audiophile quality playback. You can apply that argument to CD too to a certain extent, but the advent of the iPod has seen a skew in favour of convenience for the majority to the detriment of higher quality audio playback.

Example: Springsteen's issuing a 4-track live EP which is download only. Not checked it myself (heard of it on the Steve Hoffman site), but apparently, there's no lossless option and there's no tangible product to get ahold of, so you can't get a decent copy (depending on what your take of "decent" is). I won't be buying, much as I like the Boss, but it deserves a lossless equivalent and misses that part of the market as a result.

Hughes123:I've just started a vintage hi-fi setup for my PC..and er, ehem...I'm quite impressed so far! I'm using my old 1984 JVC A-X400 with some newish JVC speakers (soon to upgrade) going from my PC and IPOD (uncompressed 80GB). What speakers would be the same size as the JVCs (below pic) but FAR FAR better and vintage? They need to handle roughly 30watts (even though the amp is 70wpc into 8ohms). I would go for the LS3/5a, but they are a bit too expensive and I'm not sure whether they could go loud enough. Any suggestions? Oh, and does anybody know of a nice vintage amplifier to replace my rather "retro" A-X400?

2659174726_dd08253030.jpg

The age old problem with vintage gear: can you find it in the right condition and price? Shame you can't accommodate larger speakers. I have an old pair of Wharfedale E20's, still in great working order.

Alternatively, try and look for some Solavox SP25's. They are tiny bookshelf speakers and with the right amplification, they'll sing!

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:I have an old pair of Wharfedale E20's, still in great working order.

I'm interested! Do you have a picture of them so I can judge the size? I might be able to accomodate them by mounting them to the wall.

A

Anonymous

I'd start with replacing that wall paper before anything else
emotion-4.gif

Hughes123:plastic penguin:I have an old pair of Wharfedale E20's, still in great working order.

I'm interested! Do you have a picture of them so I can judge the size? I might be able to accomodate them by mounting them to the wall.

No I don't. I can find out the size tonight and post you the dimensions, if that's any good?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Hughes123:plastic penguin:I have an old pair of Wharfedale E20's, still in great working order.

No I don't. I can find out the size tonight and post you the dimensions, if that's any good?

Actually, I just found some on the net and they are probably a bit too big - I remember the E70s I was going to buy were 70 litres, so the E20s, one must presume, are 20 litres. Shame though - they are very nice speakers...very efficient.

A

Anonymous

jbadman:
I'd start with replacing that wall paper before anything else
emotion-4.gif

That wallpaper has served me well since I was six! Don't diss! : )

Hughes123:plastic penguin:Hughes123:plastic penguin:I have an old pair of Wharfedale E20's, still in great working order.

Actually, I just found some on the net and they are probably a bit too big - I remember the E70s I was going to buy were 70 litres, so the E20s, one must presume, are 20 litres. Shame though - they are very nice speakers...very efficient.

Thanks Hughsie, yeah it does mean they are 20 litres. I am so reluctant to part with them. . .women power rules, she reasons we don't have the room, difficult to disagree with her, I suppose.

TRENDING THREADS