Hi-fi shake-up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
I do. Since buying the PMCs it is just switch on and enjoy. Somehow the collective looks doesn't really do it: Never liked the look of the Naim CDP and the Leema is okay, in modern terms, to look at but...

Perhaps I'm hitting a mid-life crisis - Just want big, dancing VU meters.

If you are feeling brave you can ship the Jungson JA-88D from Hong Kong for about a grand.

Pure Class A too, 80wpc.

image1.jpeg

Now that does look the biz. Tell me about the SQ?

I find that an interesting quote considering you harangued me for buying equipment without review, befeore I even had chance to explain why I had not reviewed, a little hypocritical methinks

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If I would buy a system purely on looks it would be be Leben CS300 with a pair of Harbeth P3ESR. In Asia they go wild over the Harbeth / LEben combo ...

iamthegruffalo said:
plastic penguin said:
davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
I do. Since buying the PMCs it is just switch on and enjoy. Somehow the collective looks doesn't really do it: Never liked the look of the Naim CDP and the Leema is okay, in modern terms, to look at but...

Perhaps I'm hitting a mid-life crisis - Just want big, dancing VU meters.

If you are feeling brave you can ship the Jungson JA-88D from Hong Kong for about a grand.

Pure Class A too, 80wpc.

image1.jpeg

Now that does look the biz. Tell me about the SQ?

I find that an interesting quote considering you harangued me for buying equipment without review, befeore I even had chance to explain why I had not reviewed, a little hypocritical methinks

I only said "now that looks the biz", as in a Rolls Royce Corniche looks the biz, but doesn't mean to say I would buy one.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Macspur said:
PP, there's an Accuphase E302 currently on sale at Audio Emotion for less than £800

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Thanks Mac - I'll have a goosey later.

Accuphase have always come with a commendable reputation. What's their sonic signature? Are they smooth, warm, attacking or lively?

Remember I can only speak of what I hear with my Harbeths, but to me, doesn't have the dark smoothness of my old Sugden, but never never harsh, very detailed, incredible dynamics, controls base superbly, just a complete amp and has the added bonus of tone controls for those recordings that may be a bit unforgiving. At 120W into 8 oams doubling at 4oams, it will make your PMC's sing.

Give Gary a call at AE, they would always let you have a home demo.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi PP

I'm not so sure that vintage gear is such a liability actually. My father in law's 40 year old JVC amp looks the business with its dancing metres and sounds wonderfully punchy and warm. No idea what model it is but he has never had to have it repaired and only ever had it serviced once or twice.

However, his other half is not a huge fan of the looks so he bought a rack with a smoked glass door so you can't see the units. That will be your cheapest option to sort out the less than pleasing aesthetics, although I will concede that it won't be as much fun as buying some new new boxes!

PMB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts