PC speakers - Naim Nait 2 + Bookshelf Speakers vs Actives ?

sos

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Listening to an increasing amount of music from my PC, I've decided to upgrade my no-midrange Logitech Z640 5.1 system (brought during my student days).

There are so many options, but I'm pretty keen just to go for a straight out 2.0 set up - no subwoofer to clutter up the place. Main use is music (jazz, vocal, classical, rock) with some gaming. It's for a small office, about 3m x 4m.

After much reading and researching, I'm torn between an active setup (audiogen A2, m-audio AV-40 et. al.) or digging my old Naim Nait 2 out of storage and pairing it with some passive speakers. Desktop space is an issue, with SWMBO declaring the speakers can't be too large - so hence my inclination to the A2/A40's. In a year's time I'll probably have more freedom to use larger speakers, so could hold off if the consensus is that the Naim + bookshelf speakers would outperform the more compact options (even the more expensive ones).

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard the speakers you mention, but we found that the Avi Adm 9.1's out performed the Naim 5i amp and N-Sat speakers by some distance.
Nick

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Nick21 said:
I haven't heard the speakers you mention, but we found that the Avi Adm 9.1's out performed the Naim 5i amp and N-Sat speakers by some distance. Nick

The OP (sos) mentioned Audioengine A2s and M-Audio AV40s. These run to about £100 - £125 or so per pair.

Your comparison of £850 Naim amp + £825 Naim speakers vs £1200 active AVI speakers is not useful.

sos, I would suggest getting a decent pair of small £100 - £200 bookshelf speakers - like the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s or 10.1s - and 'un-retire' your Nait 2.

A

Anonymous

Chebby I had no idea of the cost of the kit mentioned! I just put forward that we went for active!
But I take your point and stand corrected.
Nick

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
That's ok Nick.

The active vs passive comparison/argument (at whatever price level) is a moot point here anyway.

Both of the examples given (Audioengine A2 and M-Audio AV40s) are actually traditional 'powered' PC speakers with passive crossovers rather than true active designs.

Unfortunately many misleading (or more likely lazy) websites don't distinguish and give the impression all such designs are 'active' just because they have a built-in amplifier.

sos

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I had seen those AVI 9.1's on several reviews, and they do look (and presumably sound) like the business.

In the absence of me giving a budget, however, all options were fair game for suggestions!

That said, that could be the long, long term plan, as it will take that long to convince my wife that such money needs to be put into what would be PC speakers (my main system is separate). I can confirm budget is around 100-150 of your English poundies, and at this stage am leaning towards the A2's as a temporary solution (due to their WAF size) before pulling the Nait out of retirement in a year or two with some nice bookshelves.

Cheers!

sos

May 25, 2011
Visit site
In a sudden turn of events, I'm not purchasing the A2's (or any other small desktop sound solution). This is for two reasons:

1) I went into a store today which had the A2's set up. Yes, it was a large showroom, but even at 50cms, and angled in and up, the A2's just didn't sound very puncy to my ears. Yes, I was probably badly spoiled for bass thumps by the Logtechs they had setup next to it, but they just didn't wow me with musical presence.

2) Out of the blue, my wife has conceded to the purchase of a HiDef TV (to update the 32" widescreen CRT). I've got a great deal on the Panasonic P42V20 and DMP-BD85GNK. This means I've been able to feed the purchase-gremlins whilst expending the expendable cash.

Looks like the Naim Nait 2 shall ride once again (in due course).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts