Past or Present

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As with many other forum members, I've come to the same conclusion over the years that speakers are the most difficult to match component in the chain.

I've tended to go with stand mounts & have tried a fair few, from major manufacturers to home made. What l want from this type of speaker is a sweet, detailed treble, not too laid back though not overly aggressive or fatiguing. The mids must be able to produce that airy sense of realism & depth; with the bass taught, controlled & not over reaching itself.

Does any of this sound familiar to a pair that you own/have owned?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The realism and depth are a major point in favour of a BBC LS3/5A monitor.

Upsides; enormous soundstage, great mid-range, stunning on acoustic material, neutral, revealing.

Downsides; nothing much going on below 70hz, need decent power (only 82.5db efficiency), best suited to a smaller room/study, revealing.

Current versions include... Rogers LS3/5A Anniversary editions costing £1500 and Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2 for £764 + VAT (I would opt for these.)

Good used ones can be found on ebay but prices go mental and often exceed the price of a brand new pair.

matthewpiano

Like you, I find speakers the hardest bit to get absolutely right. I've currently got several here - Mordaunt-Short MS902is, MA BR2s, Sony SS-K10ED, Tannoy Sensys 1, and Wharfedale Diamond 8.3+ - and I've swapped them all in and out so many times to try to get it right.

I thought I'd hit the sweet spot with the Sonys but the initially impressive airiness and detail has eventually translated into being overly dry whilst also lacking in solid foundations in the lower end. They are a definite no for my system and wide range of listening.

The MAs are brilliant in many ways. They are warm, have good bass for relatively small speakers and the treble never gets tiring. Problem? I just can't live with the 'cupped' quality of their midband and I sometimes feel as if they are adding unecessary 'meat' to the music that shouldn't be there.

The Tannoys and Wharfedales are both off the pace in everything except soundstaging so both are a no.

I've also had Quad 11Ls in the past but found them too clinical. They were brilliant in so many ways but never really seemed to engage me with the music.

This leaves the Mordaunt-Shorts. Listening to these tonight, they seem to have the balance right. Plenty of pace, detail and attack, good soundstaging, a good open clear midband and a good balance at the frequency extremes. In fact all they leave me wanting is the extra depth that floorstanders can bring - in particular a pair of MS914is that I sold when I got fed up of my Cambridge Audio system. I think I threw the baby out with the bath water.

When I purchased my first proper system back in 1979, someone emphasied something to me, and it has still resonates with me today: "Make sure you get the best possible speaker." It didn't cut much ice at the time, although I've always bought stuff that has always appealed my ears.

Anyway, enough of my sad drivel and back to topic. Depends what amp is used and the room acoustics.

If the room is carpeted and you avoid a bright system, Monitor Audio are ideal, likewise Mordaunt Short, and budget allowing, Neats.

Otherwise, B&W could work well in the mid-range, also, Dynaudio.

A

Anonymous

T+A Spectrum ADL III's are exactly what you are after! I have a pair and love them. i also have a pair of their smaller brohters - the ADL II's - which are also fantastic speakers.

these standmounts are built like a tank (25kg each) and provide very low but taught bass (18Hz) and are also very revealing. soundstage is also incredible. you can find them occasionally on the german ebay for around 250GBP (they cost around 2000GBP a pair when new in 1985).

A

Anonymous

First time I've heard of T & A, must do a little research.

l like Mordauant Short 902's, but don't you think that top end can get a little out of control & raggedy?

matthewpiano

chesterfieldhouse:
First time I've heard of T & A, must do a little research.

l like Mordauant Short 902's, but don't you think that top end can get a little out of control & raggedy?

In the past, with other amps, I've thought so. The PMA1500AE really seems to control them though and the 902is seem to respond very well to such high quality amplification. I'm not saying I've got 'there', but I think the 902is are the closest I've been yet.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
It's very simple. Avoid metal dome tweeters especially with bright, forward CDs and amps.

ÿ

Well I don't know. My 805s speakers us a 1" aluminum dome tweeter. I'm quite sensitive to overly bright sounding speakers but I can listen to these for hours on end. I really think it is in the design and execution.

A

Anonymous

I believe I know exactly what you are wanting.
It is almost like the 'HOLY GRAIL'!

The speakers I had for many years were a pair of Rogers LS6's.
After about 4 years got the itch to buy something better, looked and looked and couldn't find anything that could give me the naturalness of its mids and sweet treble. It was just lacking in its deep base.
Anyway I decided to keep them and spent about £150 (20 yrs ago) building the crossover units from scratch with Hi End components, lining out with sound deadening pads, replacing internal wiring with Kimber4TC and laging with wool fibre.

Turned them into the nicest speakers I have ever had, set them on Foundation stands filled with lead shot and sand. Kept them for another 14 years and then handed them down to my Son.

The realism, depth and detail in the soundstage took your breath away. If you are prepared to go to a little trouble you might just find your holy grail.IMHO

TRENDING THREADS