Panasonic TXP42GT50B Vs. Sony KDL46HX853

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello fellow WhatHifi Guys & Gals

It's been a while since i've posted on here.

I'm looking to purchase either the following TVs:

Panasonic TXP42GT50B or Sony KDL46HX853

What i'm unable to find unless somebody can point me in the right direction is what TV can deliver best in the following categories that i wish to know and conclude my order:

Gaming:

Which out of the two has the less lag and burn in issues?

Blu-Ray:

Which offers the richer best black tones for 1080P picture quality, as also for DVD Upscaleable when using a PS3?

HD Tuners:

Which offers the best picture quality for saturation and colour skin tones

Choosing between a plasma & an LED lit LCD TV is a personal preference & only you can decide what you prefer after a demo.

To answer your questions:

1) Plasmas have less lag & therefore more suitable for gaming. LCD TVs are less susceptible to burn-in. Having said that, modern plasmas are quite resistant to screen burn. I haven't noticed screen burn in my plasma despite up to 10 hours of constant gaming.

2) The Panasonic has better blacks, but the Sony is a close second. Your PS3 is a good DVD upscaler itself. I haven't seen the upscaling abilities of the 2 TVs but I suspect both will be very good.

3) Plasmas are renowned for natural rendition of colours & skin tones. Some prefer the brighter colours of an LED lit LCD TV.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
1) Plasmas have less lag & therefore more suitable for gaming. LCD TVs are less susceptible to burn-in. Having said that, modern plasmas are quite resistant to screen burn. I haven't noticed screen burn in my plasma despite up to 10 hours of constant gaming.

On that, another popular forum when testing the HX853 actually found it had a better lag time than any 2012 pana plasma, so would actually be better for gaming on that respect.

D3CYPH3R said:
bigboss said:

On that, another popular forum when testing the HX853 actually found it had a better lag time than any 2012 pana plasma, so would actually be better for gaming on that respect.

Sony HX853 has an input lag of 43ms while the GT50 has an input lag of 30ms.

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
D3CYPH3R said:
bigboss said:

Sony HX853 has an input lag of 43ms while the GT50 has an input lag of 30ms.

i was purely quoting their own comment, clearly they don't know their own reviews!

"That said, we measured the Sony HX853 at 42.7 milliseconds making it a more responsive gaming panel than the 2012 Panasonic Plasma’s we’ve tested so far." this was tested well after the GT50!

Which site was it? The official figures & AV forum's figures from their review is 30ms for the Panasonic GT50 & 43ms for Sony HX853.

EDIT: Yes, I can see that comment. That's a weird comment to make, especially when they themselves have quoted a lag of 30ms in their Panasonic GT50's review (in the game mode).

"Finally, the P50GT50B had a measured input lag of 30ms in Game mode"

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I must say that Sony have done exceedingly well this year (I don't think anyone really expected that) with the HX853. LCD panels now competing with plasma on input lag is astonishing.

I think quite a lot of people expected big things from the 853. I've been keeping my eye out for it ever since the initial press reports seemed to suggest it was going to be a big deal. Can't wait for the 953 now!

There's no real reason why LCDs shouldn't compete with plasma. I have a Samsung 32" LCD which I bought for gaming which supposedly has 14ms lag or thereabouts. I was skeptical about how big a difference lag made, but the Samsung is far more enjoyable to game on than the Sony HX803 in the living room.

Regarding the lag measurements from another forum, I think the confusion may be due to new software which measures lag in a different manner, leading to higher total lag figures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts