PANASONIC TX50GT30 RUN IN PERIOD

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi to e verybody i have now had my gt30 for7 months so i presume it is now had its run in period i have been reading on these forums about picture settings for this tv and tryed some of the settings is it true that the higher you have the contrast setting you get deeper blacks i only ask as i have tryed the contrast at about 75% but find it to bright and giving a halo effect so i have it now at about 60%. so my question does it make any difference as i feel i am not getting the full potential of the blacks at this low setting or as i say does the higher you have it make any difference. sorry to ramble on but i just dont seem to be able to get the picture to my liking i have brightness at 50% would it help turning brightness down and then turning the contrast up as always any help would be apreciated :?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes it should have well and truly run in by now.

As for your contrast setting this depends on which picture preset you are using, what i found when i calibrated my GT30 is that the different picture modes are capable of delivering vastly differing levels of contrast so it really depends on which mode you are using. For example (if i remember correctly as my GT30 is away for repair) the contrast level in cinema mode on my tv is approx 65% but in game mode it's far lower, about 35-40%.

As ever there is no better method for getting the levels correct than using some form of calibration tool, be it a THX disc for a basic calibration or a retail disc or free open source tool or a professional calibration. You have to remember that differing room conditions and minor differences in screens mean that any levels given by other owners should be used as a guide only and not used as gospel.

Just a basic calibration with a THX dvd will give you far more accurate brightness levels but i've found contrast to be the hardest level to get accurate with a THX dvd, it really requires a better tool in order to get contrast set more accurately but it's a great starting point and you probably own a dvd with it on already so it's free, if not i'm sure you will know someone with one.

Hope that's of some help.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And luckily for you, unlike when I bought the Spears and Munsil disc four months ago, the total cost is now cheaper! Mine had to be imported from America, and as well as the £20:51 purchase price I had to pay £4 import duty and then £8.01 for the Post Office "delivery charge", even though I had to collect it from the Post Office depot!!

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks oldboy and to all the other members for your help sorry to hear of your issues oldboy with your gt30 hope you get a quick outcome and get your gt30 back soon :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
3937edwards said:
thanks oldboy and to all the other members for your help sorry to hear of your issues oldboy with your gt30 hope you get a quick outcome and get your gt30 back soon :)

Thank you. This all seems very familiar to you eh...hopefully i get it sorted soon but it's very strange what happened to my GT30 and i hope it's not indicitive of an inherent problem with my set or that particular batch, fingers crossed.

Have you solved your contrast issue? I have another solution for you if you have the tools to burn a dvd...just let me no by posting here.

Best wishes,

Oldboy :)

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi oldboy no have not solved issue yet and as always any help appreciated hope you get tv back soon keep updates posted and hope it is not a inherent problem with the gt30 as i have one as you know and could not do with the worry of wondering if my tv will develop it as i only have a 12 months warranty on my tv fingers crossed. you never know you could end up with a replacement maybe a gt50? although i know you are happy with your gt30 but im sure you wouldent say no ;)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
In that case try this but follow the instructions carefully to make sure you burn the correct version to disc:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

This is an open source calibration disc which is completely free to download and burn and has been created by a series of AV experts and is what i use for calibration, the AVCHD (.exe) is more than likely the version you will need to download unless you have access to a bluray burner but as i said earlier follow the instructions carefully and it's not complicated atall as all the steps are outlined for you.

You are also better off downloading the free ImgBurn program too (a link is provided in the instructions) as it's used in the instructions and so makes creating the disc far simpler and worked a treat for me, no hassle and worked first time.

It's well worth going through the steps as the disc you create even has some video on it that shows you how to calibrate using the disc patterns and what you are looking to adjust, it's the best tool i've found for contrast so far. If you get lost just post here and i will guide you through any problems you may have.

Best regards,

Oldboy

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying the one in BIGBB'S link,but just how much differance would it make?

I have my GT30 in THX mode.

cheers

Graham

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Honest answer GSB is I don't know, just thought it might be a solution to the OPs problem.

The reviews on Amazon are pretty good, and from other reviews I have found, it seems about the best of it's kind out there.

Personally, I'm using settings which I found on another forum for my Kuro, but I must admit to being tempted by this disc, just to see if can make my great picture, even better.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
'Reckon I'll give it ago next month,although I have no idea if it can improve on what I have,but in for a penny ;)

A

Anonymous

Try these: I Have and they really well for me (hope it helps)

imagejpeg

imagejpeg

A

Anonymous

That's mad they where there a minute ago I'll try again.

A

Anonymous

2D:

Viewing mode : professional 1 / contrast: default (35) / brightness: default (30) / sharpness: 0 / CATs: off / P-NR: off

Advanced:

(white balance settings *for my individual TV*

R-gain -1

G-gain -4

B-gain 1

R-cut 1

G-cut -5

B-cut -1

Colour management from top to bottom:

-3. -6. 0. 8. 0. 1. -2. 4. 2

Gamma: 2.2

Intellegent frame / 24p smooth film: off