Panasonic TX-37LZD70 vs TH-37PX70

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry guys,

I know you have heard this one a million times before and are probably really fed up of it by now! But which one of these two is the best to purchase overall? Just to watch SD TV and normal DVD's. And possibly a PS3 to add to that next year. I'm completely lost, and need some help! I want it to watch big Sci-fi movies and action flicks, Terminator 2, Star Wars, etc. Can somebody please help me out?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You need to see the two side by side as one is LCD, the other Plasma. Look at this thread...

http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/t/4858.aspx

Faced with the same dilema as you (expect the sci fi), I went with a 37PX (I even looked at pioneer 428xd). You might chose differently though! Everyone has different needs. A Ferrari 430 is better than an MPV, unless you have to carry around 3 kids, in which case the former is completely hopeless!

Given space looks black, maybe a Pioneer Kuro would be more appropriate for you
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response Dr Mcr.

I am limited to space, 37" is pushing it so I think its going to be that size definitely. I think the Pioneer will be too expensive also, so that counts that out too!

How is your plasma treating you then? Is there any of this 'burning' stuff occurring. In that say you're watching, sky news for 4 hours, and then you change to bbc1, does the sky news logo still appear there? I'm not an expert on tv, just read a few reviews on plasma tv's and this 'burning' occurs sometimes. This is happen on the plasma panasonic?

Hows it watch when you're watching Episode III? The reds and oranges towards the end of the film and the lightsabre duel? Just really excited by the prospect of such clarity in my living room!

Thanks again for your reply, let me know how you're getting on with the panny plasma.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. Have you got a similar review for the TH-37PX70 Plasma? And the burning really doesn't apply to the TH-37PX70 does it?

Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it!

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

I too think that the plasma is a better tv, but i have different problem. My lounge is only 4m long x 3m width and i'm planning to wall mount it width ways. The tv will embedded into the wall to give the maximum viewing distance of 2.8m. In your opinion do you think this size of room will be better suited to a 37" or do your think i will get away with a 42" (kuro!!). The deciding tv will be fed a diet of sky hd/sd, ps3/bluray and hddvd/dvd all running through hdmi with decent cabling.

Cheers Wess

A

Anonymous

The TV is bedding in nicely, there is a recommended run-in setting for this TV for the first 200 hours (don't worry, its easy, just put it into cinema mode). I am on about 130 hours so far, so I haven't tried cranking up the settings.

I haven't tried Episode III yet but I do have it in the drawer (realised which episode III when you mentioned light sabers). Once I am over the 200 hours, I'll try the THX setup and see what I think of the colours. Very occasionally I think "is that red a little orange", but I am quite sensitive to colour.

The thing that really stands out for me is skin tones - very natural, and there does seem to be a good grade of shades between light and dark.

If I had to be hyper critical about the picture, on low grade feeds such as outdoor broadcast of rugby on BBC1, I notice a slight fizzing of the pixels around moving objects on the screen, especially when the camera is showing a large portion of the field of play (i'e a person appears as a small moving object on the screen). Also sometimes when a camera is panning over a detailed image, i notice a slight fizzing of pixels in the wake of the image moving across the screen. It's just noticable if you sit too close (less that 2m) but much less noticable if you sit further away. I have a good quality roof mounted aerial pointing at Winter Hill in Lancs, but will switch to a more local transmitter after the switchover. This is fed straight into a sky box and then to the TV. Not tried connecting the aerial directly to the TV.

I think this is a common phenomena of other plasma displays, and in all fairness it might settle down with use. Go and focus on this when you audition, because then you will be able to determine if it is acceptable on broadcast television for you (just like you would look for comet trails on an LCD).

Last night I watched some of The Fellowship of the Ring from a Denon 1740, outputting at 1080p. I could see no fizzing pixels, so it is probably just with conversion of low grade SD images. I'm no expert, but the picture from the DVD looked pretty good - bags of detail (TV set to Zoom 1 as the film looks like it was shot through a letter box)
emotion-1.gif

I terms of value, despite the tiny picture flaws mentioned above, I am stil astounded that I got the PX70 for £700 with a 5 year warranty.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="wess74"] In your opinion do you think this size of room will be better suited to a 37" or do your think i will get away with a 42" (kuro!!). [/quote]

Put it this way: I have a 40in Sony Bravia and sit exactly 3m from the screen which is slightly less than we'd ideally recommend for a screen of that size (3.5-4m), but it works fine for me. I think you'll just about be OK with a 42in at 2.8m, but you might want to pop into a store and view it for yourself at that distance to see if it's comfortable.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="rajputab"]Have you got a similar review for the TH-37PX70 Plasma?[/quote]

We published the review of the TH-37PX70 in our August 07 issue. All you really need to know is that we voted it Best 37in TV in our 2007 Awards (and yes, we have done a direct comparison with the LCD model, and the plasma is slightly better). Our only minor gripe is that the sound quality is a bit average. Other than that, it's fabulous. Screen burn isn't really a major problem with the newer sets.

A

Anonymous

Does the running in period apply to LCDs as well or just Plasma?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the information guys, Looks like Plasma is the way to go! Going to visit some shops later today to see if I can pick it up for a reasonable price!

Dr Mcr you will have to let me know how Episode III looks on your plasma when you run it!

Nice one guys, thanks again.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Just plasmas

[/quote]

Thanks Clare!

I was rather hoping this was the reason for slight backlight bleed on my Panasonic 32LXD700. If indeed that is what it is?

There is a small cloud (about 4 inches) which is slightly lighter than the rest of the screen and this can vary from programme to programme and seems to depend on the blacks with it hardly being visible to being really noticable.

How can I know if it is backlight bleed;uneven backlight or just poor black levels?

I have heard of people turning the backlight level down ,to improve black levels,but this is done through the Service Menu so not sure whether this would invalidate the warranty?

It is a really annoying problem and is spoiling what is otherwise a great TV.

A

Anonymous

DR McR,

How did you get on with Episode III then? any joy? how did it play out?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts