Panasonic DMP-BD35 vs Panasonic DMP-BD80

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, just got myself a BD-80 this morning. Been testing it all day against the BD-35 and my conclusions are as follows:

(Budget 2nd generation vs Top-End (from Panasonic, that is!) 3rd generation)

1. Picture Quality - ZERO difference (IMHO)

2. Sound Quality - MARGINAL difference (IMHO)

I'm really not into this Viera Cast thingy with YouTube and stuff. My priorities are picture and sound quality.

So, in a nutshell:

A) If you currently have the BD35, don't bother upgrading to the BD60 (IMHO)

B) If you currently have the BD55, don't bother upgrading to the BD80 (IMHO)

I feel Panasonic is taking us for a ride with these 'new' models. Unless you are really into these 'feel good' add-ons, picture and sound quality, which in my opinion should be of primary consideration, remains the same (IMHO)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Mmm, interesting, we've just been comparing the DMP-BD60 to its rivals (and against the DMP-BD35) as part of our forthcoming June Group Test.

As we said in this month's First Test, the DMP-BD60 is excellent, but not necessarily a sweeping improvement over the older model. Unless, as you say, you want Viera Cast and other niceties.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Interesting, cheers.

Take it you wouldnt reccommend going from the bd35 to the 80 either (yeah i know, im just being picky hehe).

Tho im going to EDIT this and just mention again that boot times would be great in reviews
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Interesting. I've had a look at the BD80 myself and having compared it to my BD55, I agree that there is no difference in picture or sound quality (re: enhancements on the new model)

The emphasis should be on picture and sound quality, not silly gimmicks. If I wanted to visit YouTube, I'd do it on my lap-top.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Too true, but i bet many manufacturers reading this (?) are saying "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala..." with their fingers in their ears. Its all about half-hearted attempts at convergence nowadays, afterall.

A

Anonymous

I was just going to purchase the BD35 and see there is a BD35 which is full HD. I take it that it won't be worth getting this for a 37" HD Ready Plasma?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Scotsgirl:I was just going to purchase the BD35 and see there is a BD35 which is full HD. I take it that it won't be worth getting this for a 37" HD Ready Plasma?
Hi Scotsgirl. My daughter has a 26" Sony in her bedroom. I've hooked up my S350 to it the other day to see if there was an improvement. IMO even running a BD at 720p the picture quality was a lot better than Freeview/standard DVD.You should be able to alter the output on the Panny to either 720p or 1080i.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Scotsgirl:I was just going to purchase the BD35 and see there is a BD35 which is full HD. I take it that it won't be worth getting this for a 37" HD Ready Plasma?

As the last two posts said, all BDPs will be full HD but you can set them to display at a lower res should you wish. Plus, the 35, if you can find it at an agreeable price is also a great DVD player and upscaler. So, you would have a good BDP and a good DVD player and you'd be set for if you did ever get a bigger telly.

So do'nt ley my post put you off, best of both worlds i say.

EDIT - just realised i actually put my comment re BDPs and TV size in a nother thread, so maybe it wsnt that that put you off.

Anyway, the gist of the above still stands.

TRENDING THREADS