Upgrading to Yamaha RXV673 and Panasonic DMP-BDT320?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I'm keen to get some opinions on whether I should consider upgrading my Blu-ray player and AV receiver - please see models in my sig below.

The Denon has become a tad glitchy in recent months, with random cut-outs and switching between inputs on its own for no reason. While it still does a very capable job of driving the KEFs, my trust in it is starting to weaken.

I'm tempted by the Yamaha RXV673, which Richer Sounds are currently offering at £299.95 - this seems a bit of a steal for a previously £500 award winner. Its inclusion of AirPlay to allow streaming music from iOS devices is a very big plus for me too. Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether this seems like a worthwhile upgrade for the price? Do you think its sound will be comparable to (or preferably better than) that of my Denon.

My Blu-ray player is also playing up (it randomly paused and glitched several times last night during the brand-new Star Trek Into Darkness disc). If I do upgrade I'd like to stick with Panasonic (just because the BD80 seems to provide a better picture with my TV than my previous Sony player did). Richer also have the DMP-BDT320 for £99.95, which again seems a great price - do you think this'd be a worthwhile upgrade? Considering my BD80 was top of Panasonic's range in its day, whereas the 320's more mid-range, I'm not sure how to compare the two.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Any ideas? I'm now also tempted by the Panasonic DMP-BDT500, which can be had for roughly the same amount I paid for the BD80 back in 2010!

I haven't noticed any difference in blu ray playback quality when I demoed blu ray players at different price points.

If I were you, I would go for the Panasonic 320, & spend the extra cash on Yamaha RX-A810/820/830 which belongs to the superior Aventage range. This will give far more benefits than BDT500.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have both the RX-V673 and DMP-BDT320. At those prices they are both a steal. I cannot fault the Yamaha at all and the airplay works flawlessly. It doesn't have wi-fi so you will need to use a cable to connect it to your network. The picture and sound from the Panasonic is superb. The only thing that some find irritating is the remote control. It doesn't have many buttons on it, instead relying on a touch pad. I believe the remote for the 500 model is considered better as it sports more buttons. I hope that helps.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
peter312 said:
I have both the RX-V673 and DMP-BDT320. At those prices they are both a steal. I cannot fault the Yamaha at all and the airplay works flawlessly. It doesn't have wi-fi so you will need to use a cable to connect it to your network. The picture and sound from the Panasonic is superb. The only thing that some find irritating is the remote control. It doesn't have many buttons on it, instead relying on a touch pad. I believe the remote for the 500 model is considered better as it sports more buttons. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your input guys! Gonna hold off on a receiver for now (esp given that Richer's offer on the V673 is over), but the Denon's days are definitely numbered!

Really like the look of the 320 though, I like that it's a slot-loader and very slim and shallow, even though I'm very wary of the aforementioned touchpad remote!

I'd forgotten just how strongly the upgrade bug can take hold - having lots of arguments with myself about what to buy and what not to!

D

Deleted member 2457

£325 here:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_YAM_673_&CAT=HCAMP&ID=5388&UNIQUEID=7921365981

Ex-display one here:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/yamaha-rx-v673av-receiver-ex-display-model/audio-visual-receivers?pp=96

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the links guys, holding off on a new receiver though until the Denon shows some even stronger signs it's on its last legs!
Bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT330 today, which seemed the best mid-range option for me! And so far I'm very impressed - speed is light years ahead of the BD80, PQ is definitely a bit more refined and it's handy to have Netflix and iPlayer on hand too! Should serve as a suitable scratch for my upgrade itch for a little while!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the links guys, holding off on a new receiver though until the Denon shows some even stronger signs it's on its last legs!
Bought the Panasonic DMP-BDT330 today, which seemed the best mid-range option for me! And so far I'm very impressed - speed is light years ahead of the BD80, PQ is definitely a bit more refined and it's handy to have Netflix and iPlayer on hand too! Should serve as a suitable scratch for my upgrade itch for a little while!

TRENDING THREADS