Panasonic CD stereo system SA-PM17

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tinman1952

That doesn't apply because I bought used second hand without the manual.
Don't be put off. I started 25 years ago with a Denon mini system and knew nothing about HiFi. I enjoyed it so much it inspired me to learn more. Over the years I have owned many, many top brands of HiFi components and speakers. The important thing is to enjoy the learning process, not exceed your budget and enjoy the music. I wish you many years of increased knowledge and enjoyment. 🙂

b4u2

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
The manual might have explained that the volume is displayed as you describe.
my Sony Home Cinema amp does the same thing but I knew that....
I doubt it as tried looking online at the manual and doesn't seem to mention anywhere.
Never assume until you know for sure as it's not fair to others.

Gray

I doubt it as tried looking online at the manual and doesn't seem to mention anywhere.
To be fair, it's not the sort of thing a manual would necessarily explain - and it's clear you didn't understand the first few explanatory posts (you said so) No problem.
Ignore the comment about getting a decent hi-fi 🙂that was a bit ridiculous - some of the world's best hi-fi displays volume in the way your Panasonic does - and the faders on the mixing desks that record the music.... they're marked in the same (-dB) way.

I'm guessing that you might have just missed the minus symbol in front of the figures and noticed only decreasing figures as you increased the volume!
That minus is the crucial thing

That's all you need to understand. That convention is to treat maximum as 0dB, then display how much lower the volume is with a minus figure so the lower you go the higher the minus figure.

Some amps display it how you've got it.
Some display it how you'd like it.
Some let you switch between the two forms of display.
Mine uses a ring of LEDs around the volume control, which suits me - too bad if it didn't.

D

Deleted member 108165

Strangely my surround sound volume indicator goes up when I increase the volume. My hi-fi amp is the opposite and goes down when I increase the volume. First example is a linear numerical scale, second example is a linear dB scale, with a range of -70dB no output to 0.0dB max output.

You have the second example, don't fret over it just use your ears to decide when it's loud enough. As Gray says above the minus sign is the crucial aspect.

Reactions: Gray

b4u2

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
To be fair, it's not the sort of thing a manual would necessarily explain - and it's clear you didn't understand the first few explanatory posts (you said so) No problem.
Ignore the comment about getting a decent hi-fi 🙂that was a bit ridiculous - some of the world's best hi-fi displays volume in the way your Panasonic does - and the faders on the mixing desks that record the music.... they're marked in the same (-dB) way.

I'm guessing that you might have just missed the minus symbol in front of the figures and noticed only decreasing figures as you increased the volume!

That's all you need to understand. That convention is to treat maximum as 0dB, then display how much lower the volume is with a minus figure so the lower you go the higher the minus figure.

Some amps display it how you've got it.
Some display it how you'd like it.
Some let you switch between the two forms of display.
Mine uses a ring of LEDs around the volume control, which suits me - too bad if it didn't.

NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE MINUS IS THE CRUCIAL THING?

D

Deleted member 108165

NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE MINUS IS THE CRUCIAL THING?
-40dB will be louder than -50dB.

Tinman1952

yes i see it but volume is confusing at the end of the day agree with me!
Yes it may seem counter intuitive. I remember being surprised by this when I bought my first Denon AV receiver many years ago. You just have to remember you are coming DOWN from zero (maximum) so the numbers go negative and increase as the volume goes further down from zero. You soon learn what is the level you like.... Welcome to the crazy world of HiFi 😁

b4u2

Dec 5, 2021
Visit site
Yes it may seem counter intuitive. I remember being surprised by this when I bought my first Denon AV receiver many years ago. You just have to remember you are coming DOWN from zero (maximum) so the numbers go negative and increase as the volume goes further down from zero. You soon learn what is the level you like.... Welcome to the crazy world of HiFi 😁
my system doesn't seem to come down from zero?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts