Pairing Challenges - Roksan Kandy K2 Power Amp

Tdclarke

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I have a Rokan Kandy K2 power amp, Exposure 2010S (used as a pre) and Monitor Audio S8s. It's probably an unconventional pairing of units and wasn't initially designed to come together as such. I must admit to not being overly happy with the result. Very bright and lacking roundness and depth. My thoughts are change out the speakers - but I would appreciate any advice on pairing and if a speaker swop out is appropriate - what would work best? Spend ~ £1000-£1200.

Tdclarke said:
I have a Rokan Kandy K2 power amp, Exposure 2010S (used as a pre) and Monitor Audio S8s. It's probably an unconventional pairing of units and wasn't initially designed to come together as such. I must admit to not being overly happy with the result. Very bright and lacking roundness and depth. My thoughts are change out the speakers - but I would appreciate any advice on pairing and if a speaker swop out is appropriate - what would work best? Spend ~ £1000-£1200.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think changing your speakers is suddenly going to change your 'unconventional pairing' . It can be extremely difficult to get a pre and power amp to work well together when sourced from different manufacturers, especially when one isn't a pre at all.

Decide on your amplification to start with. Either keep the Exposure as an amplifier or sell it on and get a Roksan preamp. Or better still sell both and get a decent integrated amplifier, then worry about your speakers. My advice only of course, you learn by your mistakes and it can be costly.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The obvious pairing would seem to be your amplifiers with an ebay selling page.

Then use the cash you get from the sale to get something you'll like better.

Keep your £1000 in the bank. Or use it to get better speakers.

Tdclarke

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for coming back.

I have tried running the Exposure solo and seen no noticeable difference. I am using an Arcam irDAC, Innuos server for my music collection.

Tdclarke said:
Thanks for coming back.

I have tried running the Exposure solo and seen no noticeable difference. I am using an Arcam irDAC, Innuos server for my music collection.
Probably the speakers, then. Different ones will are the biggest difference in 'tone'. Do experiment with positioning first, if you can. Closer to walls and floors will boost the bass, as will aiming the speakers past your ears, or crossing in front of you, rather than beaming directly.

nopiano said:
Tdclarke said:
Thanks for coming back.

Probably the speakers, then. Different ones will are the biggest difference in 'tone'. Do experiment with positioning first, if you can. Closer to walls and floors will boost the bass, as will aiming the speakers past your ears, or crossing in front of you, rather than beaming directly.

Still reckon sort the amplification, sell the speakers,then get speakers that suit your room and upgrade that DAC.

Personal recommendation only mind you.

Hi Tdclarke

I would try an alternative pre amp first. Look at the used market for the now discontinued NAD C160. I think the C160 will do the trick in readdressing the balance and for relatively little outlay.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm with Al ears on this one. Get yourself and your kit into a dealer and try some combinations/alternatives out - it's the only way you're going to find what you're looking for (and doing it without spending wads of cash and taking chances).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts