Pairing a Onkyo TX-NR609 amp with Tannoy Mercury V4 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is this a good pairing? I've heard the Onkyo is a bit bright so are the Tannoys warm? Also is it a bit of an overkill to have a 7.2 surround receiver outputting to only 2 speakers?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

T

the record spot

You'll need to hear for yourself, only you can decide if they sound good when you hear them together.

As to the two speakers question, I'd been looking at the 609 a few months ago before I heard about the TX-8050 and the reviews were generally positive. The other thing is that this is one of the cheapest ways that you can go about bi-amping your speakers, so you can use four of the Onkyo's amps to drive the V4s.

The 609 also gives you Spotify functionality, and because it's networked, much like the 8050, then you get firmware updates, new product or new functionality and a whole bunch of stuff an integrated won't come near touching.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
hifinoob said:
Is this a good pairing? I've heard the Onkyo is a bit bright so are the Tannoys warm?
They'll work fine together. The Onkyo isn't bright, it's just more lively than more laid back receivers. In comparison to a laid back receiver it might be perceived as bright, but in isolation it'll sound better balanced.

Good alternatives would be the Monitor Audio BR5AV package and the Acoustic Energy Neo V2 package, which might cost a little more, but might be preferable if you don't want to worry about your system sounding too warm.

TRENDING THREADS