P.S audio direct stream Dac

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about the product this company makes and it’s very interesting subject about DSD direct steam audio

I see that the analog signal and the digital signal is totally separate and each of the components inside has its own power feed but what got me interested in this product is they are claiming that if your a users of CDs like I am the clam is that there is hidden information on the cd disc that a normal CD player doesn’t pickup because of jetter noise .

But this product they make is also good for streaming , CDs , downloads which up convenient to DSD higher then any Dac on the market even though there are DSD compatibility Dacs but not all Dacs are the same in how it sort the information out .

But going buy the videos I’ve watched P.S audio are saying is that 30 years ago when CDs where first invented there product is basically given you what CDs should of sounded like 30years ago . Is that possible to have information on a cd disc that our CDs players have never picked up ?

Heres a video of when they first released the P.S audio Direct stream Dac which I think came out 2014 ..... https://youtu.be/B7z7QXWto-k

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
On a dac. What ps audio claims is that they convert all digital signals to DSD before converting them to analogue. This is different from most dacs which convert PCM to analogue without up converting it to DSD. And in doing so, ps audio claim to avoid the inherent limitations of PCM to analogue conversion. This was really ground breaking tech in 2014. But not anymore. Roon converts PCM to DSD too. And this can be fed to most dacs via usb, as usb inputs on dacs can accept direct dsd inputs. That is the tech part how I understand it. Somebody more knowledgable can correct me here.

Having said the above, iam not saying that any dac paired with a innous zen mini will perform at par with the ps audio direct stream dac. It will depend on how well the upconverting takes place in the ps audio. And again the ps audio's dac is optimised for DSD to analogue conversion, since everything is up sampled to DSD. Where as most dacs , have to cater to different formats including dsd. That will be the biggest difference in my opinion.

So in essence, the ps audio is a dsd upconverting processor + dedicated dsd to analogue dac.

And there is already tech in the market to do both at reasonable prices, albeit in two different boxes, instead of one :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Going from what you've said BS, as opposed to watching the video (I haven't watched it yet), bits of those claims sound marketing gobbledegook to me. For a kickoff, there's nothing on a CD which regular players haven't been pulling off for 30 years, they're not like vinyl records where better turntables extract more information cleanly from the grooves. A £15 USB drive can fully read everything from a CD and DVD, let alone a dedicated CD player. The only debate would be whether upscaling the data to DSD leads to any sonic benefits during the D-A conversion process.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
On a dac. What ps audio claims is that they convert all digital signals to DSD before converting them to analogue. This is different from most dacs which convert PCM to analogue without up converting it to DSD. And in doing so, ps audio claim to avoid the inherent limitations of PCM to analogue conversion. This was really ground breaking tech in 2014. But not anymore. Roon converts PCM to DSD too. And this can be fed to most dacs via usb, as usb inputs on dacs can accept direct dsd inputs. That is the tech part how I understand it. Somebody more knowledgable can correct me here.

Having said the above, iam not saying that any dac paired with a innous zen mini will perform at par with the ps audio direct stream dac. It will depend on how well the upconverting takes place in the ps audio. And again the ps audio's dac is optimised for DSD to analogue conversion, since everything is up sampled to DSD. Where as most dacs , have to cater to different formats including dsd. That will be the biggest difference in my opinion.

So in essence, the ps audio is a dsd upconverting processor + dedicated dsd to analogue dac.

And there is already tech in the market to do both at reasonable prices, albeit in two different boxes, instead of one :)
double the upstream going by some of there tech videos and not all Dacs work in the same way going by what P.S audio are saying .

The claim that sparked my interest was that there is unread information on a cd that not all Dacs read because of jetter and because of that reason P.S audio are saying you get to hear stuff that your not heard from your cd collection before .

I mean the guy who makes the videos also owns the company and they are basically saying it’s a breakthrough in technology but I just do not not no what to believe in to honest I would like to believe it .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Going from what you've said BS, as opposed to watching the video (I haven't watched it yet), bits of those claims sound marketing gobbledegook to me. For a kickoff, there's nothing on a CD which regular players haven't been pulling off for 30 years, they're not like vinyl records where better turntables extract more information cleanly from the grooves. A £15 USB drive can fully read everything from a CD and DVD, let alone a dedicated CD player. The only debate would be whether upscaling the data to DSD leads to any sonic benefits during the D-A conversion process.

smells like overcooked marketing to me. The only benefit is due to a dac designed with the singular purpose of converting dsd to analogue. Instead of catering to every single format in the digital chain. And a great dsd upconverting processor.

I wonder how to send missing digital content into the ps dac if my exotic cd player can't read it off the disc.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
MajorFubar said:
Going from what you've said BS, as opposed to watching the video (I haven't watched it yet), bits of those claims sound marketing gobbledegook to me. For a kickoff, there's nothing on a CD which regular players haven't been pulling off for 30 years, they're not like vinyl records where better turntables extract more information cleanly from the grooves. A £15 USB drive can fully read everything from a CD and DVD, let alone a dedicated CD player. The only debate would be whether upscaling the data to DSD leads to any sonic benefits during the D-A conversion process.

smells like overcooked marketing to me. The only benefit is due to a dac designed with the singular purpose of converting dsd to analogue. Instead of catering to every single format in the digital chain. And a great dsd upconverting processor.

I wonder how to send missing digital content into the ps dac if my exotic cd player can't read it off the disc.
Ellis did a couple of reviews on the P.S audio direct stream Dac on his YouTube channel I really need him to put his input about this because he has demonstrated one and probably knows the ins and outs better then we do but I am interested to find out more

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

double the upstream going by some of there tech videos and not all Dacs work in the same way going by what P.S audio are saying .

The claim that sparked my interest was that there is unread information on a cd that not all Dacs read because of jetter and because of that reason P.S audio are saying you get to hear stuff that your not heard from your cd collection before  .

I mean the guy who makes the videos also owns the company and they are basically saying it’s a breakthrough in technology but I just do not not no what to believe in to honest I would like to believe it  .
10 times the resolution of DSD. And then down sample same to 5.6 mhz where analogue conversion takes place. This is how most digital engines work these days.

The exception being schiit yggdrassil dac. This is one modern break through, which does not up sample, as any upsampling is a guess work, and only as good as the algorithm used for upsampling. The schiit uses a different architectures, and is limited to 24/192 kHz. But is supposed to be another land mark dac in recent times. This is a total opposite of the ps dac.

Things are changing so fast in the dac world, may be it is best to not buy a very expensive dac at this point of time. The chord qutest again comes to mind, this is the upper limit of what is sane money in today's uncertain times :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

The claim that sparked my interest was that there is unread information on a cd that not all Dacs read because of jetter and because of that reason P.S audio are saying you get to hear stuff that your not heard from your cd collection before .

I mean the guy who makes the videos also owns the company and they are basically saying it’s a breakthrough in technology but I just do not not no what to believe in to honest I would like to believe it .
10 times the resolution of DSD. And then down sample same to 5.6 mhz where analogue conversion takes place. This is how most digital engines work these days.

The exception being schiit yggdrassil dac. This is one modern break through, which does not up sample, as any upsampling is a guess work, and only as good as the algorithm used for upsampling. The schiit uses a different architectures, and is limited to 24/192 kHz. But is supposed to be another land mark dac in recent times. This is a total opposite of the ps dac.

Things are changing so fast in the dac world, may be it is best to not buy a very expensive dac at this point of time. The chord qutest again comes to mind, this is the upper limit of what is sane money in today's uncertain times :)
yes your right I was just interested in the technology that they are claiming that’s all as the P.S audio direct stream Dac is very expensive

anyway we need Ellisdj on here to let us know what his thoughts were on the Dac when he demo it

D

Deleted member 108165

newlash09 said:

The only thing that's changing fast is the colour and the smell of the bullsh*t banded around by all the these wonderful designers of 'must haves' *biggrin*

This is not directed at you newlash, it's for the marketing types who work for these companies and have a vested interest in singing the praises of their products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:

The claim that sparked my interest was that there is unread information on a cd that not all Dacs read because of jetter and because of that reason P.S audio are saying you get to hear stuff that your not heard from your cd collection before  .

I mean the guy who makes the videos also owns the company and they are basically saying it’s a breakthrough in technology but I just do not not no what to believe in to honest I would like to believe it  .

yes your right I was just interested in the technology that they are claiming that’s all as the P.S audio direct stream Dac is very expensive 

anyway we need Ellisdj on here to let us know what his thoughts were on the Dac when he demo it 

Will have to wait for ellisdj to share his impressions. But the price is certainly astronomical.

I've been reading for sometime now on the computer audiophile forum looking for good digital source, and every other day they discuss a new dac, supposedly the next best thing right now. It's gone to a point, where I can safely say, that the only thing I gained from that forum is contentment with my present dac :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
newlash09 said:

The only thing that's changing fast is the colour and the smell of the bullsh*t banded around by all the these wonderful designers of 'must haves' *biggrin*

This is not directed at you newlash, it's for the marketing types who work for these companies and have a vested interest in singing the praises of their products.

Cool..No issues...I can understand that you didn't direct it at me. I am honestly at the same juncture. All the marketing is intended to make me believe that I have been listening to BS all this while, just because my dac is 5 years behind the curve now :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
All the marketing is intended to make me believe that I have been listening to BS all this while, just because my dac is 5 years behind the curve now :)

The sooner you realise consumerism is all about making you believe you need the latest and greatest and yesterday's latest and greatest is now hopelessly obsolete, the sooner you will be happiler with your lot. And by 'you' I didn't mean you specifically. Because a couple of years down the line there will be the next latest and greatest. If you was to take any notice of washing power adverts for example, they've apparently improved washing powders so much that 40 years ago they must have been making our clothes dirtier. Funnily enough, they weren't.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
nothing BS about the diresctstream Dac it's fantastic.

I think they are referring to you hearing more of what's on the disc rather than picking up new stuff.
I.e other dacs lose detail in musical mush and the Directstream gives it to you clearer and that's exactly what it does - ultra clean and clear.
Feeding it the dsd layer from sacd from their memory player over I2S was quite something

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
nothing BS about the diresctstream Dac it's fantastic.

I think they are referring to you hearing more of what's on the disc rather than picking up new stuff. I.e other dacs lose detail in musical mush and the Directstream gives it to you clearer and that's exactly what it does - ultra clean and clear. Feeding it the dsd layer from sacd from their memory player over I2S was quite something
so it doubles the upstream in DSD is that right ? I was watch a interview with the chap who owns P.S audio and the designer who invented the direct stream Dac and he said that this technology should of been what CDs should of sounded like 30 years ago and you hear more information of the cd that other Dacs do not pickup .

i am just wondering if you felt at the time if this was true if you tried CDs I can’t remember on the reviews you did on it

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
This is the video you need to watch about them coming up with the idea of the direct stream Dac it’s very interesting and I would be interested in what you think about what they are saying about the technology and design .https://youtu.be/mRg-Rrd2blY

And I would be interested in how it compares with the chord Dac you have now against the much more expensive direct stream Dac

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
newlash09 said:
MajorFubar said:
Going from what you've said BS, as opposed to watching the video (I haven't watched it yet), bits of those claims sound marketing gobbledegook to me. For a kickoff, there's nothing on a CD which regular players haven't been pulling off for 30 years, they're not like vinyl records where better turntables extract more information cleanly from the grooves. A £15 USB drive can fully read everything from a CD and DVD, let alone a dedicated CD player. The only debate would be whether upscaling the data to DSD leads to any sonic benefits during the D-A conversion process.

Ellis did a couple of reviews on the P.S audio direct stream Dac on his YouTube channel I really need him to put his input about this because he has demonstrated one and probably knows the ins and outs better then we do but I am interested to find out more 

No it's bs, black s
I'd stay off the pursuit of perfect snake oil for a bit as you'll be constantly needing an upgrade you don't actually need.

And if course it 'sounds good'
They 'All' do

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I haven't thought all dacs sounded good enough to buy. there is only 2 I have wanted to buy the PS Audio was one but I couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have had to buy since starting. Needed to buy a lot of stuff.

However the qutest at the money for me is a no brainer.

It's not about keeping upgrading for nothing if you have achieved a certain level of playback where only tiny improvements can be made there is less of a need
So far I haven't experienced any system in that category most can be improved considerably even very expensive ones.
Don't let negativity steer you off that goal it's up to you it's your hobby.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I haven't thought all dacs sounded good enough to buy. there is only 2 I have wanted to buy the PS Audio was one but I couldn't justify the cost with everything else I have had to buy since starting. Needed to buy a lot of stuff.

However the qutest at the money for me is a no brainer.

It's not about keeping upgrading for nothing if you have achieved a certain level of playback where only tiny improvements can be made there is less of a need So far I haven't experienced any system in that category most can be improved considerably even very expensive ones. Don't let negativity steer you off that goal it's up to you it's your hobby.
I was just intrested in what they where saying about the direct stream dac but its very expensive for what it is but still intrested in the chord dac anyway and that does DSD as well for less money *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
the clever bit about directstream is it converts everything to DSD.
The designer Ted Smith explains why he does it there are lots of interesting videos with him explaining.

There is another video where Rob Watts explains why Chord use a different approach to that all interesting stuff.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
the clever bit about directstream is it converts everything to DSD. The designer Ted Smith explains why he does it there are lots of interesting videos with him explaining.

There is another video where Rob Watts explains why Chord use a different approach to that all interesting stuff.
yes I did link 2 videos on the subject of DSD direct stream from P.S audio it was just the technology behind it that I was interested in and how that technology affects the music at the end of it .

I understand that most Dac’s on the market will do DSD but some do it better then others and going by what P.S audio says that’s why there are so meany difference between Dacs and P.S audios seems to have better power going between each stage of the process .

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
This is the video you need to watch about them coming up with the idea of the direct stream Dac it’s very interesting and I would be interested in what you think about what they are saying about the technology and design .https://youtu.be/mRg-Rrd2blY

And I would be interested in how it compares with the chord Dac you have now against the much more expensive direct stream Dac

So I looked at the video. Its in two parts, skip the first part as that is all marketing from the owner. Second part is a quasi technical discussion of the DAC itself by Ted, the designer.

Couple of observations on the video. Only one person in the room looked to be under 55. These guys aren't going to be hearing much above 10KHz, so its up to you whether you put any store by their opinions. Ted, the designer kicked his shoes off at the start of the video. One school of thought would have him as a free thinking radical designer pushing back the frontiers of DAC design. Personally, I prefer my experts to look like Andy Grove, not Jerry Garcia in his declining years - it says a lot about their attention to detail, and electronics is a detail business.

As for the claims made, I did some digging on DSD and SACD as I wasn't on top of the history and claims being made. At its heart DSD is a 'Pulse Density Modulation' technique as opposed to 'Pulse Code Modulation' which is used in CDs. There seem to be two opinions about this, one is that SACD was introduced by Sony and Philips as the next step in the path to audio nirvana, correcting the mistakes they made in red book CDs. The other is that it was a cynical attempt to recapture the lost royalties of CDs as the licensing deals were expiring and that the music industry was calling out for a hardware format with inbuilt copy protection.

DSD has some major flaws, most significantly it is difficult to process - even fading up and down is difficult. To mix, DSD is usually converted to PCM first - so apart from a few 'direct from the mic' recordings, and a very limited number of productions from boutique groups all DSD has gone via PCM. DSD also has some nasty HF noise issues which require LPFs to avoid potential equipment damage. This limits the frequency response to well below the often quoted 100KHz.

The claims made for the direct stream DAC are that they convert everything to DSD and use this to drive a 1 bit delta sigma D2A conversion process. Apparently a lot (if not all?) of the current high end D2A chips (ESS Sabre for example) use a delta sigma conversion process. It is too expensive and difficult to produce the highly accurate resistor ladder required for multi bit R-2R chips.

So I can't quite see where the secret sauce is in this DAC. Maybe it has a better PCM to DSD conversion approach, or cleaner supplies, or a clock with less jitter. All good stuff, but nothing revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, it could still be a very fine DAC, but unless I missed a technical feature, it seems to be more of the same.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
andyjm said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

So I looked at the video. Its in two parts, skip the first part as that is all marketing from the owner. Second part is a quasi technical discussion of the DAC itself by Ted, the designer.

Couple of observations on the video. Only one person in the room looked to be under 55. These guys aren't going to be hearing much above 10KHz, so its up to you whether you put any store by their opinions. Ted, the designer kicked his shoes off at the start of the video. One school of thought would have him as a free thinking radical designer pushing back the frontiers of DAC design. Personally, I prefer my experts to look like Andy Grove, not Jerry Garcia in his declining years - it says a lot about their attention to detail, and electronics is a detail business.

As for the claims made, I did some digging on DSD and SACD as I wasn't on top of the history and claims being made. At its heart DSD is a 'Pulse Density Modulation' technique as opposed to 'Pulse Code Modulation' which is used in CDs. There seem to be two opinions about this, one is that SACD was introduced by Sony and Philips as the next step in the path to audio nirvana, correcting the mistakes they made in red book CDs. The other is that it was a cynical attempt to recapture the lost royalties of CDs as the licensing deals were expiring and that the music industry was calling out for a hardware format with inbuilt copy protection.

DSD has some major flaws, most significantly it is difficult to process - even fading up and down is difficult. To mix, DSD is usually converted to PCM first - so apart from a few 'direct from the mic' recordings, and a very limited number of productions from boutique groups all DSD has gone via PCM. DSD also has some nasty HF noise issues which require LPFs to avoid potential equipment damage. This limits the frequency response to well below the often quoted 100KHz.

The claims made for the direct stream DAC are that they convert everything to DSD and use this to drive a 1 bit delta sigma D2A conversion process. Apparently a lot (if not all?) of the current high end D2A chips (ESS Sabre for example) use a delta sigma conversion process. It is too expensive and difficult to produce the highly accurate resistor ladder required for multi bit R-2R chips.

So I can't quite see where the secret sauce is in this DAC. Maybe it has a better PCM to DSD conversion approach, or cleaner supplies, or a clock with less jitter. All good stuff, but nothing revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, it could still be a very fine DAC, but unless I missed a technical feature, it seems to be more of the same.
that was the bit that interest me about correcting the mistakes of red book cds and the lost information on a cd but you would have to get there transport I think to take advantage of this combined with the direct stream Dac which is very expensive .

but this all seems to come down to jitter by what they are saying which you can not get rid of and as you have said you start to lose the higher frequencies in the process but if it’s true about lost information on a cds that we do not hear because of the jitter involved that’s the bit what sparked my interest as that would be classed as a big upgrade hearing stuff your not heard before on cd because of the jitter .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andyjm said:

I always find myself impressed with your posts due to their informed, grounded and technologically sound nature. However, this personal observation on a person’s physical appearance, and it’s bearing on their competence as a designer, is an unwelcome departure. This won’t stop me reading your posts with interest. They are - with the exception of the paragraph quoted above - extremely educational.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
andyjm said:
Couple of observations on the video. Only one person in the room looked to be under 55.  These guys aren't going to be hearing much above 10KHz, so its up to you whether you put any store by their opinions. Ted, the designer kicked his shoes off at the start of the video. One school of thought would have him as a free thinking radical designer pushing back the frontiers of DAC design.  Personally, I prefer my experts to look like Andy Grove, not Jerry Garcia in his declining years - it says a lot about their attention to detail, and electronics is a detail business.

I always find myself impressed with your posts due to their informed, grounded and technologically sound nature. However, this personal observation on a person’s physical appearance, and it’s bearing on their competence as a designer, is an unwelcome departure. This won’t stop me reading your posts with interest. They are - with the exception of the paragraph quoted above - extremely educational.

Please don't over react to what he said as I don't think his intention was bad.

Your the one of a few people on here that truly understands written post meanings without the little yellow men to help out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts