Overhang gauges and Alignment protractors

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

On the subject of the above tools,should we have both of these when changing a cartridge.

I know the importance of the correct overhang but is a cartridge alignment protractor 100% necessary,and if it is then what's the best type,( I have a Technics sl-d2).

Thanks in advance

pegleg1945 said:
Hi,

On the subject of the above tools,should we have both of these when changing a cartridge.

I know the importance of the correct overhang but is a cartridge alignment protractor 100% necessary,and if it is then what's the best type,( I have a Technics sl-d2).

Thanks in advance

A correctly aligned cartridge is a must. The are some alignment protractors that do both jobs. The best are expensive but you can pick up mirrored contractors pretty cheaply. It depends on how much you want to spend.

You'd only need a basic protector for your turntable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
The best are expensive but you can pick up mirrored contractors pretty cheaply. It depends on how much you want to spend.

I've met one. They are pretty reflective types ...

mirror09.jpg

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Don't forget to visually check that the stylus is actually vertical when sitting in the groove, after you check the other alignments. I had to shim my cartridge in the headshell (thin strips of thin plant label) as the headshell azimuth was out of true, with no adjustment available. If you place the stylus into a groove of an LP with the platter static, just confirm either that the cartridge body is parallel horizontally to the record, if you can, or just look at the stylus itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts